Windows 10: Icons moving, disappearing, overlapping every time after removing computer from dock

Discus and support Icons moving, disappearing, overlapping every time after removing computer from dock in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My laptop's desktop icons keep moving and it's driving me nuts! Every time I remove my computer from its docking station and then place it back on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by krossos_, Aug 16, 2019.

1. krossos_ Win User

Icons moving, disappearing, overlapping every time after removing computer from dock

My laptop's desktop icons keep moving and it's driving me nuts!

Every time I remove my computer from its docking station and then place it back on the docking station my icons rearrange. Sometimes they appear larger and more spaced out which causes half of them to move off screen.

To get them back on screen I have to right click the desktop > "View" > "Auto Arrange Icons" or "Arrange Icons to Grid". When I do this, all of the icons come back into view but arrange themselves in an overlapped fashion.

To fix this, I've tried changing the icon spacing in the Registry Editor... to everything from -500 to -1125. Still they are overlapped and unreadable.

I've also tried unselecting both "Auto Arrange Icons" and "Arrange Icons to Grid". I've turned off the "Allow themes to change desktop icons" in the Desktop Icon Settings panel under "Themes"... I don't know what else I can do.

How do I reset my desktop icon settings, rearrange them in the way that i want them, and then make them STAY PUT?

:)

krossos_, Aug 16, 2019

2. Desktop Icons disappear after disconnecting from a docking station

I'm Having an issue with desktop icons disappearing after the laptop has been disconnected from a docking station. I right click on the background and the show desktop Icon is checked. I checked to see if tablet mode was enable and it is not. This is
    happening when the computer is not connected to the docking station. I logged in with a different profile and got the icons. So i believe there is a setting saved on his profile on the computer. That is what i believe. I take an suggestions or methods and
    try them out. Please give me some ideas.

JimmyWin10, Aug 16, 2019
  3. qubit Win User
    Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

That's because your resolution is changing each time. To test, try setting to 1024x768, arrange a couple of icons and then restart the PC. As long as the resolution after startup is still 1024x768, then the icons won't move. Trust me. *Wink Icons moving, disappearing, overlapping every time after removing computer from dock ;)

qubit, Aug 16, 2019
  4. techguy31 Win User

Icons moving, disappearing, overlapping every time after removing computer from dock

Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

I see. I was using a 23" monitor before and the highest resolution was below 1080p so I guess windows remembers that monitors resolution right? I have tried de.das.dude suggestion, but everytime I turn off the computer after arranging the icons it goes back to misarranging the icons.

techguy31, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Icons moving, disappearing, overlapping every time after removing computer from dock - Similar Threads - Icons moving disappearing

2. Taskbar icons overlapping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar icons overlapping: Hi so this bug normally happens when I close or open a new window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons-overlapping/635565eb-b0c1-4a56-9bb5-384d0588c921
  3. Taskbar icons overlapping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icons overlapping: Hi so this bug normally happens when I close or open a new window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons-overlapping/635565eb-b0c1-4a56-9bb5-384d0588c921
  4. Windows 11 Taskbar icons overlapping disappear flickering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Taskbar icons overlapping disappear flickering: Im using Windows 11 and my taskbar icons are overlapping and disappear and reappear rapidly causing flickering and the icons to jump left and right on my display. Ive noticed this issue after updating windows to the latest build OS BUILD 22621.1992WFEP :: 1000.22644.1000.0...
  5. Windows 11 Taskbar icons overlapping disappear flickering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Taskbar icons overlapping disappear flickering: Im using Windows 11 and my taskbar icons are overlapping and disappear and reappear rapidly causing flickering and the icons to jump left and right on my display. Ive noticed this issue after updating windows to the latest build OS BUILD 22621.1992WFEP :: 1000.22644.1000.0...
  6. "This PC" icon moving every time desktop is refreshed.

in Windows 10 Customization
    "This PC" icon moving every time desktop is refreshed.: I don't know if this can be traced back to a recent Windows 10 system update, but the "This PC" desktop icon keeps moving to the bottom-right-most position of the left-hand stack of desktop icons. ie: If I put another icon there, it will move either underneath that icon or...
  7. Desktop Icons overlap?

Desktop Icons overlap?: Hey, normally there is a minimum distance between the icons on the desktop. However, this is no longer present with me. (see picture) [ATTACH] Of course I find it very annoying when the distances between the icons are different and they can even overlap. I...
  8. Battery icon disappears after every reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery icon disappears after every reboot: For some time not sure when it first started, so no clue what could have triggered this, every time I restart my laptop the battery icon is missing. As a result the power control options such as when to go to sleep etc. don't take effect and battery will run down to zero...
  9. ICONs overlapping on desktop

ICONs overlapping on desktop: I have all of my ICONs are pasted over the top of each other. when you go to click on a ICON it takes up half of the screen horizontally. Vertically it is still the normal size. How do I fix this???[IMG] Have attached a screen shot....
  10. Remove icons from moving

Remove icons from moving: I have installed windows 10 enterprise v1607 on my personal computer. When i assign an icon to a folder and move it from a drive to another one it appears with the original icon. What's the problem and the solution? [img] 65052

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when i mve my icons on desktop they keep overlapping themselves

2. icons disappear when using a docking station