Windows 10: Icons Not Displaying Correctly

Discus and support Icons Not Displaying Correctly in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My desktop icons have suddenly become spaced very far apart. They've also developed a huge box around them when highlighted see screenshot & they can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Bilgerat984, Dec 20, 2022.

1. Icons Not Displaying Correctly

My desktop icons have suddenly become spaced very far apart. They've also developed a huge box around them when highlighted see screenshot & they can't be placed in the lower 1/3 of the desktop. I've tried changing the size, align to grid on & off, rebuilding the icon cache, playing with the registry values, changing screen resolution, & changing scaling. Nothing has any effect on the problem.

:)

Bilgerat984, Dec 20, 2022

2. Icons from apps aren´t displayed correctly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community.

Do the apps work fine apart form the icons not displaying correctly? If so I would suggest you to run an SFC scan and check if it helps. If the issue persists you may run DISM command and check.

Follow this steps:

• Press Windows+X.

• Click on Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type the command SFC /SCANNOW and
        DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and hit
        Enter.
    Hope the information provided was helpful and do let us know if you need any assistance in the future. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri, Dec 20, 2022
  3. Daz54 Win User
    Windows 10: System Icons such as Network icon and Safely Remove Hardware icon is not displaying correctly in the Notification Area.

Hi Nyima,
    Thanks you so much for your very considered response. I have included my answers in RED inserted into your email below.

Unfortunately the problem still isn't resolved.

You are so kind to reply and any further suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Kind Regards,
    Daz.

Hello ,

Your question on Microsoft Community has received a reply from Nyima Yonten.
    Title:
    Windows 10: System Icons such as Network icon and Safely Remove Hardware icon is not displaying correctly in the Notification Area.

Hi Daz,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if there is change in icons settings or it could be due to change in display settings.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• Is the issue specific with network icon and Safely remove hardware icon under taskbar?
    • It applies to the Network and Safely remove hardware icons in the taskbar. It also applies to those two icons in the Settings Menus.
    • The Network icon displays OK on the Windows sign-in screens.
    • Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?
    • The only change that I am aware of (other than Windows Updates) is that I have installed a Solid State Drive.
    • Is the issue occurring in the different user account?
    • I have another Standard account and the problem doesn't occur when in that account.
    • Interestingly, when I switch back from the Standard account to my Admin account the icons appear correctly until I reboot and then they are wrong again.
    Refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to try to disable and re-enable the taskbar icons. Check if it helps.

I have done this and the problem is still there.

Step 2: Also I recommend you to update the latest driver for display adapter in the Device Manager and check if it helps.

I tried this and Windows says that I have the latest Display Adapter. But I then checked via my Nvidia Control Panel and found an update was available. I updated just the Graphics Driver which seemed to have fixed the problem
    but when I rebooted the problem came back.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Daz54, Dec 20, 2022
  4. Try3 Win User

Icons Not Displaying Correctly

Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

I can only suggest that you
    1 Add a list of steps you have already taken.
    2 Add a comment about restarting the computer. Do the deleted icons disappear then?
    2 Add a comment explaining if any Desktop items do delete correctly and whether or not there are any significant differences between those that do delete correctly and those that don't.
    3 Add a list of any OS tweaks you have done & any third-party OS-related utilities you have run.

I assume you have already reinstalled your display driver.
    I don't see a Repair install as being relevant. Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

Thema:

Icons Not Displaying Correctly

1. Icons Not Displaying Correctly - Similar Threads - Icons Displaying Correctly

2. Application icons does not display correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Application icons does not display correctly: It looks like all of my applications .exe files use the default Windows icon instead of their regular icon. Unfortunately, I don't know what might be causing the problem. I've already contacted several computer services, but none of them were able to fix the issue. I tried...
  3. Application icons does not display correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Application icons does not display correctly: It looks like all of my applications .exe files use the default Windows icon instead of their regular icon. Unfortunately, I don't know what might be causing the problem. I've already contacted several computer services, but none of them were able to fix the issue. I tried...
  4. Icons Not Displaying Correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons Not Displaying Correctly: My desktop icons have suddenly become spaced very far apart. They've also developed a huge box around them when highlighted see screenshot & they can't be placed in the lower 1/3 of the desktop. I've tried changing the size, align to grid on & off, rebuilding the icon cache,...
  5. Icons Not Displaying Correctly

Icons Not Displaying Correctly: My desktop icons have suddenly become spaced very far apart. They've also developed a huge box around them when highlighted see screenshot & they can't be placed in the lower 1/3 of the desktop. I've tried changing the size, align to grid on & off, rebuilding the icon cache,...
  6. Folder icon is not displayed correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder icon is not displayed correctly: Hi, some of my folder icons arent displaying as they should. I've tried deleting the icon cache but to no avail. In addition, I've tried moving my files in the folder into another new folder, the new folder's icon became defective and the original icon has returned to normal....
  7. Folder icon is not displayed correctly

Folder icon is not displayed correctly: Hi, some of my folder icons arent displaying as they should. I've tried deleting the icon cache but to no avail. In addition, I've tried moving my files in the folder into another new folder, the new folder's icon became defective and the original icon has returned to normal....
  8. Network icon not displayed correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network icon not displayed correctly: The network icon on the taskbar is displayed as a world. In the Wi-Fi connection it does not show the antennas and in the LAN connection it does not show the computer icon. But the most extreme thing is that I have normal internet browsing with my provider in Colombia. But...
  9. Network icon not displayed correctly

Network icon not displayed correctly: The network icon on the taskbar is displayed as a world. In the Wi-Fi connection it does not show the antennas and in the LAN connection it does not show the computer icon. But the most extreme thing is that I have normal internet browsing with my provider in Colombia. But...
  10. Network icon not displayed correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing