Windows 10: Icons not removed from desktop when deleting

Discus and support Icons not removed from desktop when deleting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've recently built a new PC and am having an issue when deleting files from the desktop. I haven't noticed the behaviour in any other folder. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Floob, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Floob Win User

Icons not removed from desktop when deleting

I've recently built a new PC and am having an issue when deleting files from the desktop.
    I haven't noticed the behaviour in any other folder.

When I drag an icon or folder from the desktop to the recycle bin, it looks like it behaves correctly and removes it from the desktop (and certainly appears in the bin). But if I recheck later, say an hour or something, the icon has re-appeared although the file itself is not there, i.e. I get an error if I try to open it.

If I refresh the desktop the icon does disappear (and doesn't re-appear again), but I would like to know why this issue keeps occurring - I haven't seen this issue before on my other machines.

From testing, if I set windows to confirm on every delete I don't get the issue (i.e. when I click delete as opposed to dragging to the bin), but when I drag to the recycle bin (even with this confirmation setting on) it doesn't prompt me to confirm deletion and the error occurs. So perhaps its linked with this behaviour of deletion confirmation.

In case its relevant, the boot drive is an M2 NVMe as opposed to HDD etc..
    I'm running Win 10 Home 19042.746

Thanks for any pointers.

:)

Floob, Jan 30, 2021
  2. Error 404 Win User

Removing desktop icons

I want to remove some Icons from my desktop, but Vista asks for Admin permission to continue (I'm not an admin *Frown Icons not removed from desktop when deleting :( ).
    It seems that whenever I delete one of these icons from my desktop, it is also removed from all the other user accounts. For example, I deleted the Skype icon from my desktop, and it was then removed from everyone elses as well.
    How can I delete icons from my desktop only, without affecting anyone elses?

Error 404, Jan 30, 2021
  3. Mussels Win User
    Removing desktop icons

the icons are located in 'all users' folder somewhere (for example, i see a few shared icons in "C:\Users\Public\Desktop" )

The only way to fix those, is to remove the icons from there, and place them on to each users desktops manually. an admin may need to do this.

Mussels, Jan 30, 2021
  4. Icons not removed from desktop when deleting

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

Icons not removed from desktop when deleting

1. Icons not removed from desktop when deleting - Similar Threads - Icons removed desktop

2. Remove One Drive Icon from Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove One Drive Icon from Desktop: I have a folder called One Drive on my desktop. I right clicked it to delete it from the desktop and it began deleting my one drive files. I stopped it then had to go back and recover the files from the deleted items folder that is in one drive. I have the one drive icon on...
  3. Remove One Drive Icon from Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove One Drive Icon from Desktop: I have a folder called One Drive on my desktop. I right clicked it to delete it from the desktop and it began deleting my one drive files. I stopped it then had to go back and recover the files from the deleted items folder that is in one drive. I have the one drive icon on...
  4. Why are my icons deleted from the desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my icons deleted from the desktop?: My icons, folders are regularly automatically deleted from the desktop. Why? I have two PCs activated on the same MS account. I uninstalled OneDrive. Still the same problem. Resetting the PC several times, did not help. How could I uninstall Windows 11 and install it under a...
  5. Why are my icons deleted from the desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are my icons deleted from the desktop?: My icons, folders are regularly automatically deleted from the desktop. Why? I have two PCs activated on the same MS account. I uninstalled OneDrive. Still the same problem. Resetting the PC several times, did not help. How could I uninstall Windows 11 and install it under a...
  6. I can't remove/delete certain icons in desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't remove/delete certain icons in desktop: Hello. I'm talking about these 2 icons, and no matter what I do they just won't go away. They are not showing up here nor at desktop in explorer....
  7. Icons reappear after deleted from Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icons reappear after deleted from Desktop: When I created a file "on the desktop" videos, docs etc. then decide to delete the file, a ghost icon will reappear after opening a full screen program or signing-out. The work-a-round is easy enough: Just right click and Refresh the screen and the ghost icon disappears....
  8. Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to delete duplicate "Icon" from desktop: Hi all Due to a failing SSD I have done a fresh install of Windows 10 and all my other programs onto to a replacement SSD. Everything has gone fine apart from one program (Weatherlink from Davis Weather) has put two icons on my local account desktop. One opens the program...
  9. .pdf icon cannot be removed from the desktop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    .pdf icon cannot be removed from the desktop: From a web page I saved as a .pdf,now I have the icon on the desktop. But,I cannot remove it,open or rename this icon. I tried to move it to the recycle bin but nothing happens. I'm not an expert at all. Can,please,someone help me. Thank you 130314
  10. Can't delete icon from my desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete icon from my desktop: Since I updated my Windows 10 to Redstone 5, I can't get rid of my 7+ Taskbar Tweaker icon from my desktop. I delete it - but it comes back very shortly. Any suggestions? 110971