Windows 10: Icons on desktop keep moving around

Discus and support Icons on desktop keep moving around in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have tried researching this annoying problem and found several long threads from 2015 with various confusing answers involving several registry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by provlima, Jul 7, 2016.

1. provlima Win User

Icons on desktop keep moving around

Have tried researching this annoying problem and found several long threads from 2015 with various confusing answers involving several registry changes.
    Has this common problem been definitively solved yet and if so can someone please post the solution here

:)

provlima, Jul 7, 2016

2. windows 10

How do I keep desktop icons from moving around in windows 10? This drives me crazy

Frank10424, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Win 10 System Tray Icons keep moving around........

An addendum to my last post......

I forgot to mention an ongoing problem I am having, that for me,
    is a major issue.

This issue is with Win10 and Firefox Browser.

I originally addressed this issue with the Mozilla forum and after 8 versions, and no responses from anyone

on the forum, I believe this issue falls back on Win10.

I say this because it is Win10 that will not allow me to make Firefox my default browser.

When Firefox asks me if I want to make it my default browser, I say yes and it takes me to the default settings box

for choosing my browser.

4 other browsers are shown, none of them being Firefox.

How does one make a browser a default, if Win10 does not offer that browser as an option?

This issue is only (thankfully) on one of my PC's.

Both PC's have had the same browser, browser updates, etc

Firefox has been my default browser for years.

This issue seemed to coincide after a Microsoft update, but I have not narrowed down, which one, as of yet and if

it has anything to do with this issue.

Now as for what I have tried on my end to resolve the issue:

I have installed and uninstalled 8 different versions of Firefox on the browser-plagued PC.

The issue continues on.

No one at Mozilla can tell me how to get Win10 to recognize that Firefox is installed and operational.

It's funny that Win10 recognizes Edge, Internet Explorer, Chrome and Opera, but not Firefox.

I like Firefox and do not plan on using Edge or Internet Explorer in my future.

I do however have Chrome and Opera as good backup browsers.

I have tried a number of ways to get Win10 to allow Firefox to be.....

I have attempted to set Firefox by app, by default apps protocol, and by default apps by file type and all fail to resolve this issue.

Does anyone at Microsoft or in this forum know how to tackle this continued, oh so agitating problem?

JEMMMARTIN, Jul 7, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

I find the icons move to the left when switching accounts but are fine if I log out of an account before logging on to another account. Is that your problem? If so, it is a design 'feature' of Windows 10 at certain display scalings that Microsoft has been lazy to fix. Let's hope the Aug 2nd update sorts out the problem.

Steve C, Jul 8, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    Right click a blank spot on your desktop and choose View uncheck Auto Arrange Icons. Leave Align Icons to Grid checked.

spunk, Jul 8, 2016
  6. provlima Win User
    Just started using W10 and was annoyed by the reaarranged icons every time the desktop refreshes. Upon researching this problem was amazed to see it is common in several generations of Windows. I remember having it once in Vista, and eventually correcting it, but have tried the various (R click desktop >view options) that dont work with W10.

Has anyone heard if this problem has ever been addressed and/or solved

provlima, Jul 16, 2016
  7. provlima Win User
    Thanks for your help but that will not work. Wish it could be that easy. This has been an ongoing problem affecting many for years as evidenced by pages of google inquiries.

provlima, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Icons on desktop keep moving around - Similar Threads - Icons desktop keep

2. Icons keep moving in my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons keep moving in my desktop: Hello everyone!I have Windows 11, the 'auto-arrange' option is unchecked, but every time I drop a new archive onto my desktop, all the other icons shift one place, as if the new one dropped wants to reach the first position on the left, but it doesn't, and is placed where I...
  3. Icons keep moving in my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons keep moving in my desktop: Hello everyone!I have Windows 11, the 'auto-arrange' option is unchecked, but every time I drop a new archive onto my desktop, all the other icons shift one place, as if the new one dropped wants to reach the first position on the left, but it doesn't, and is placed where I...
  4. windows 10 desktop icons moving around sneakily

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 desktop icons moving around sneakily: my father has this problem on Windows 10 PC. He has maybe 50 shortcuts and excel files on the desktop. Auto arrange icons is off. Align to grid is on.He has rows of icons so for example in the lower part of the screen there is several rows of excel files. He creates another...
  5. Desktop Icons Unwantedly Moving Around

Desktop Icons Unwantedly Moving Around: I have an issue that has been upsetting me for a while. Whenever the computer boots, awakes or I plug in my second monitor my desktop icons move around. I organise them again and select refresh to save them apparently and then again whenever the computer boots, awakes or I...
  6. Desktop Icon keep moving

Desktop Icon keep moving: My desktop icon keep moving and I unable to keep them still, I tried the method right- click then select desktop unable to select desktop * * [ATTACH] Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers in the Microsoft Community forum. Contact...
  7. Desktop Icons keep moving

Desktop Icons keep moving: So this has been an ongoing problem for me for months at this point. Every time I restart or shut down my computer my desktop icons rearrange in a way that I did not set. I have gone through many of the common fixes and have had success temporarily fixing it through some...
  8. desktop icons keep moving around

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icons keep moving around: Two Icons on my desktop refuse to stay where I want them when I reboot : "This Pc" and "Norton 360". What can I do to keep them in place? I think this a relatively new phenomenon. Windows 10 version 10.0.19041 Build 19041. 165539
  9. Desktop Windows Move Around

Desktop Windows Move Around: My open desktop windows move around. I drag them to the center and then later they have moved to the left side. I don't want them to move around. My windows have always stayed where I put them in the past. I have tried to search out solutions to this issue but I only...
  10. Desktop Icons Keep Moving

Desktop Icons Keep Moving: Hello, Every time my screen goes black, because it has been 15 minutes (screensaver setting) or I wake it from Sleep Mode, all of my icons are moved to the other side of the screen. I just find this really annoying to move them back to the order I had them. Is there a...