Windows 10: icons on desktop will not drag

Discus and support icons on desktop will not drag in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win 10, 64 bit, recent upgrade from Win 7. Beginning this afternoon, all of a sudden, the icons on the desktop will not drag, they are fixed in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aakaak, Jul 1, 2016.

1. aakaak Win User

icons on desktop will not drag

Win 10, 64 bit, recent upgrade from Win 7.

Beginning this afternoon, all of a sudden, the icons on the desktop will not drag, they are fixed in place.

I can delete them, open them, move them via right-click and 'copy to' or 'move to'. They simply will not move.

I've tried restarting the computer but the behavior persists.

There has been other difficulties that might be related,

if the computer has been doing nothing for a while, an horu or more, it takes about a minute or so before it will do anything even though I have it set never to sleep.

For the past week or so when I turn it on in the morning the desktop will not display until I right-click it.

:)

aakaak, Jul 1, 2016

2. create a short cut for web sites

You can drag a favorite to the desktop. Or, what at a website, just grab the icon in front of the URL in the address bar and drag it to the desktop or Taskbar.

Bruce Hagen, Jul 1, 2016
  3. Buell C Win User
    How do I add website Icons to the Windows 10 Desktop?

You say "Drag web icon to desktop". What is the "web icon"? And how do you drag it? I need very specifics.

Buell C, Jul 1, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

See how it works if you boot to Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking.

To get there, click on the Start button. click on the Power5 icon then hold down the Shift key and click on Restart.

If everything works okay there then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Use Clean Boot to isolate to culprit.

See here: How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

Ztruker, Jul 2, 2016
  5. aakaak Win User
    Thanks. That didn't help because I couldn't see any icons on the desktop in safe mode.

However I did figure out the culprit was Fences v1, which I should have thought of immediately.

I had been using the trial of the new version since I upgraded to Win 10 but then it ran out and I'm too chintzy to buy it so I installed the last free version.

Is there any way to make it work?

aakaak, Jul 3, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Is that Stardock Fences or some other vendor? As for making it work, best to post in the vendor forum.

Ztruker, Jul 3, 2016
  7. aakaak Win User
    Yes, it's Stardock Fences.

I'd feel hesitant about posting in their forum because they may feel uninterested in helping me make an early free version work when they'd really like to get $10 out of me for the good version.

[edit: other behaviors keep on regdardless, though at first they did not].

aakaak, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. icons on desktop will not drag - Similar Threads - icons desktop drag

2. How drag a websites shortcut icon to the desktop and not as a generic?

in Browsers and Email
    How drag a websites shortcut icon to the desktop and not as a generic?: I like to keep the customize icons as a shortcut but most change to a generic icon when dragging. How to fix on Win10 Home? 178221
  3. How drag a websites shortcut icon to the desktop and not as a generic?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How drag a websites shortcut icon to the desktop and not as a generic?: I'm using Win10 Home and MS 365 I like to keep a lot of commonly used website as customize icons for desktop shortcuts using my default browser, Google Chrome. When I hold down the mouse button and then drag it to the desktop most website icons change immediately to a...
  4. Dragging files to desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dragging files to desktop: I recently did a clean install of Windows 10. I'm using three monitors and before I did this clean install, I could keep my browser window open on the middle monitor, drag a file or picture to the desktop on the right monitor, and it'd place the file where I wanted wherever...
  5. Desktop Icon Dragging Lags

Desktop Icon Dragging Lags: I'm using a brand new work machine with Windows 10 and experiencing a weird bug. When I attempt to drag a desktop icon from one place to another, there's a 1-2 second lag before the move actually occurs. During this time, a slightly transparent "ghost" of the icon will remain...
  6. Desktop drag lag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop drag lag: Whenever I drag an icon/shortcut on my pc it take a second to move it and is laggy. It’s also pretty laggy when I drag the blue box thingy to select multiple icons. Even just hovering the mouse over icons it takes awhile to register. And this is on a decent gaming pc and my...
  7. Small icon on desktop when dragged from start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Small icon on desktop when dragged from start menu: I got a large square with a tiny icon inside.... It may be related to 'apps from Windows app store' rather than programs installed in the old way. Others have this problem. I was not able to provide a solution as the question was closed. Here is a long winded solution. (i.e....
  8. Black boxes behind icons and when dragging mouse on desktop

Black boxes behind icons and when dragging mouse on desktop: Here is the issue. This just started happening recently. Coincidentally, it started happening after the latest Nvidia driver download. Just wanted to see if anyone recognizes this issue and would know how to fix it. Specs below CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x MOBO: MSI B450 Gaming Pro...
  9. Drag and Drop Desktop Icons

Drag and Drop Desktop Icons: Trust this is posted in correct forum...……… I cannot drag and drop desktop icons (?) They always move back. I have researched and tried 1) ESC key option 2) Task Manger explorer.exe option 3) Registry EnableLUA option. None of this worked. I've run sfc /scannow with no...
  10. Dragging icons problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Dragging icons problem: When I single click and try to move an icon on my desktop the program opens and I can't simply move the icon unless I try it several times. I do not have single click checked in folder options. The same thing happens for instance with Outlook, if I try to move the window by...