Windows 10: Icons on desktop

Discus and support Icons on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does anyone else see frustrations with the icon shortcuts on the desktop? Even with SSD drive I will boot and whilst Windows loads in seconds when the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Icons on desktop

Does anyone else see frustrations with the icon shortcuts on the desktop? Even with SSD drive I will boot and whilst Windows loads in seconds when the desktop displays only about 75% of the icons display correct. The rest have the generic white paper icon, then after a couple more secs the majority then display correctly save for some stragglers which will then display correctly after a couple more secs. I thought really the icons should display properly more or less instantly. After that it's all fine but it's same behaviour each boot. I do notice very occasionally the desktop icons refresh after boot but it's very rare and seems to coincide perhaps with app updates in background / new installs. When it does happen it's similar behaviour, the majority of icons flash white for a milli second and then appear fine but there are stragglers that take a few more secs to refresh correctly

cheers, Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Jan 13, 2016

2. Desktop Icons have Folder Icons on them on the bottm left

Hi Jake,

The above issue might occur due to the following reasons:

• Corrupted/missing system files and folders.
    • Presence of virus/malware.

Scanning using antivirus security software installed will help in removing the virus/malware content detected in the computer. Running SFC scan and DISM scan will help in replacing the corrupted/missing system files on the computer.

Method 1: Scan
    the PC for the presence of virus/malware by running the antivirus security software. Run the antivirus security software twice to detect and confirm the presence of malware/virus on your PC. Check for the status of the scan to view the presence
    of virus/malware.

Method 2: If the issue persists, run
    SFC scan
    and DISM scan by following the steps below and check if it helps in resolving the issue.

SFC scan is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash.

Windows corruption errors may prevent Windows updates and service packs from installing. For example, an update might not install if a system file is damaged. The
    DISM scan or System Update Readiness tool may help you to fix some Windows corruption errors.

Step 1: Open an Administrator command prompt
    window by

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Command Prompt (Admin) option.
    • Click on Yes and continue. Provide administrator password if prompted.
    • Check if it says Administrator: Command Prompt at the top of the command prompt window.

Step 2: Type the following commands in the
    CMD Prompt:

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Step 3: Close the command window and check if the issue is resolved.

Write to us with the status of the folder icon showing below every other system icon on the PC for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 13, 2016
  3. Guru Kiran G, Jan 13, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Icons on desktop

Couple of things you could try:
    • Open File Explorer. In the address space, type: %LOCALAPPDATA%, hit <ENTER> then delete the file IconCache.db
    • Download the attachement below, unzip, double click to merge into the registry to increase the cache size.
    • Reboot the PC to rebuild the IconCache.db

topgundcp, Jan 13, 2016
  5. Thank you. I am aware if the max icon cache but have not seen much info relating to whether it works same in Windows 10, the registry file you sent, what will that be increasing to?

What is the default max icon cache on Windows 10? I know on windows 7 it was a pathetic 500 kb. Is it the same with Windows 10? Seems strange that MS sets it so low.

I am also curious as to whether others see similar types of behaviour with the icons. Having such a low default cache size on Windows would make me think many others see this happening as their machines install more stuff, app count grows, more icon variety building.

6. topgundcp Win User
    Not sure what the default is. The entry didn't even exist in one of my fresh install of Windows 10 registry. However, the recomended value for Max Cache Icons is to set at hex 0x2000 which is 8192 in decimal to avoid IconCache.db corruption.

topgundcp, Jan 13, 2016
  7. Thank you. I am going to try the Max Cached Icons registry edit. There is a lot of conflicting info on the net but basically I navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and then add a new string called Max Cached Icons and then change the value to 8192 right? Unfortunately hex decimals, Qwords, Dwords go right over my head. I just need to add this a Reg_Sz string right and then reboot? My system is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit if that helps.

8. elbmek Win User

Icons on desktop

I hate desktop icons. The 'come with the package' rarely work eg: facebook. White blank icons, and white icons with a tiny representation of the program in it. I even tired downloading and installing a few 'designer' icons, but they are not recognised.

elbmek, Jan 13, 2016
  9. topgundcp Win User
    Here's how it is set in my Registry. DWORD should be used. Just unzip the attachement and double click to merge into the registry.

Icons on desktop [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jan 13, 2016
  10. elbmek Win User
  11. davidhk Win User
    Here is the easiest way to rebuild icon cache.....................
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
    Use Option One.

Personally I have been using the one published for Win 7 and Win 8.
    I use it on Win 10 many times and it works just the same..............
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-rebuild.html
    Option One.

davidhk, Jan 13, 2016
  12. elbmek Win User
    elbmek, Jan 13, 2016
  13. Icons on desktop

I tried the steps. Set max cached icons size to 4096 kb. Rebooted couple times. No adverse affects but not really any different. Maybe I am expecting too much. I do have quite a few shortcuts on the desktop. It's not horrendous. As soon as I login the desktop displays and most of the icons are instant but a few stragglers always take a couple secs more to change from the generic white paper icon. During use I will keep an eye out, it didn't happen much but sometimes I see all icons refresh, only takes a second or two and I suppose doesn't affect my work or usage. Just seems a bit lame. As mentioned software installations seem to trigger it mostly but I suppose it's quite rare. I think Windows 7 did the same during updates of software or installs so perhaps it's nothing new. The only difference that when Windows 7 logged in and displayed the desktop icons they were all instant. Although the Windows 7 machine did take three times longer overall to boot from cold so maybe has more opportunity to get its house in order!

i would be very curious to find out the default icon cache size in Windows 10, I liaised with Brink and speculated it's still at 500 kb like previous Windows versions but that's not confirmed

cheers, Wayne

14. Am so sorry to bring this up again. The icon cache has been rebuilt and the registry fix applied for max cached icons. But it's no better, I notice the icon cache.db file does not grow beyond 570 kb. So newer icons doesn't add to the cache. It means on a restart of PC these are the icons that are always slower to show. I really am unsure of whether the reg edit for max cached icons should be a string , QWORD or a DWORD or whatever. If it is a DWORD I really need very basic steps on how to achieve 4096 in. What hex (?) figure needs to be used. It's only because I asked brink about the reg edit and said it needs to be a reg sz string but it seems to be being ignored on Windows 10 unlike my Windows 7 machine which works with it fine.

cheers, Wayne

Scottyboy99, Jan 15, 2016
  15. Ok I tried the DWORD based on the registry file suggested. It makes no diff. Maybe because the limit of 8192 kb is set too high and so windows 10 ignores it?

Scottyboy99, Jan 15, 2016
Thema:

Icons on desktop

1. Icons on desktop - Similar Threads - Icons desktop

2. The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.: The icon on my laptop and browser keep refreshing without me issuing any command. Should i do to resolve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-icon-on-my-desktop-and-browse-keep-refreshing/a5dc16cb-2314-443a-9b27-e95bdb8c1755
  3. The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.: The icon on my laptop and browser keep refreshing without me issuing any command. Should i do to resolve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-icon-on-my-desktop-and-browse-keep-refreshing/a5dc16cb-2314-443a-9b27-e95bdb8c1755
  4. The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can't create desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create desktop icons: I have an enterprise-managed laptop which had a disk crash, and IT installed a fresh enterprise image of Windows 10 . The laptop shows desktop icons when connected to the enterprise network. I want to be able to have full use this laptop when not connected to the work...
  6. Can't create desktop icons

Can't create desktop icons: I have an enterprise-managed laptop which had a disk crash, and IT installed a fresh enterprise image of Windows 10 . The laptop shows desktop icons when connected to the enterprise network. I want to be able to have full use this laptop when not connected to the work...
  7. Can't create desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Widgets and Desktop Spotlight icons are not hidden when entering Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Widgets and Desktop Spotlight icons are not hidden when entering Safe Mode: When you enter Safe Mode with any variant on any Windows 11 build Assumingly build 22000 - 26100 - The widgets and "Learn about this picture" icons do not get set to hidden in Safe Mode despite them not being supported there due to multiple services being disabled there all...
  9. Widgets and Desktop Spotlight icons are not hidden when entering Safe Mode

Widgets and Desktop Spotlight icons are not hidden when entering Safe Mode: When you enter Safe Mode with any variant on any Windows 11 build Assumingly build 22000 - 26100 - The widgets and "Learn about this picture" icons do not get set to hidden in Safe Mode despite them not being supported there due to multiple services being disabled there all...
  10. On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?: It is very annoying when I have taken the trouble to order my desktop icons to how I want them, when a Windows Update totally trashes my preference with a re-ordered desk top that defies logic . Is there anyway of stopping this or do I just have to accept that Microsoft knows...