Windows 10: Icons on the desktop disappeared after update

Discus and support Icons on the desktop disappeared after update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Laptop got updated a couple of months ago and all the icons that were on the desktop went missing. There are still available under the desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnandS84, Dec 22, 2018.

1. AnandS84 Win User

Icons on the desktop disappeared after update

My Laptop got updated a couple of months ago and all the icons that were on the desktop went missing. There are still available under the desktop folder though. I am not able to bring them back to the desktop screen.

:)

AnandS84, Dec 22, 2018

2. Windows Update does it again: Disappearing Desktop Icons

Hello

After I updated a ton of security updates with care to only update the certain critical ones no anything else.

The hardcoded icons have disappeared during reboot, those icons that you drag out of start menu and it automatically creates it, and the network icon that you right-click in the start menu and select "show on desktop"

But there was also a freeze during the update process, when rebooted it re-do the stuff that it does at boot so i think it was fine , but the icon thing happend, it always has to be something.

I so hate the windows update, I haven't updated for half a year and now i did a manual careful update and I think i will never do it again for win7 EVER on this PC.

Icons keep disappearing after a certain period of days while several sessions passed. Let's say every 5 days or a week, 3 times now. I want to have my system stuff out like Control panel, add remove programs, all the sys stuff.

EDIT: Exact icons are "network" "sound" and "programs and features"

Found something it can be certain settings for icon cleanup

http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/ada5d392-2af7-43c3-9191-08baf63f0098/

Stupid updates messing with my settings*Mad Icons on the desktop disappeared after update :mad:

RuskiSnajper, Dec 22, 2018
  3. Desktop Icons disappeared

Hi Kinsley,

• Are you referring to the desktop icons?
    • When did the icons disappear? Did you make any changes to the system Settings?

It's possible that your device is in Tablet mode. I suggest you to turn it off and check if the icons appear. To do so, select the
    Action center icon on the taskbar (the little message box next to the date and time), and then select
    Tablet mode to turn it on or off.

Also refer the following thread which discusses about a similar issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...may-have/d47c81e8-78d8-4d6a-bf0c-98decec85944

Hope this helps. Keep us updated with the status of the issue to continue assisting you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Dec 22, 2018
  4. qubit Win User

Windows Update does it again: Disappearing Desktop Icons

Couple of things:

Disappearing icons during normal use is not something that Windows tends to do, so there's a problem somewhere on your system.

Leaving Windows Update for so long is asking for problems. Set the updater to download critical updates, but install only when you say so. This way, Windows will be kept up to date and the updates will be a lot smaller, reducing the chance of something going wrong.

So, what's infrarecorder?

qubit, Dec 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Icons on the desktop disappeared after update - Similar Threads - Icons desktop disappeared

2. Desktop icon disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icon disappeared: The Desktop Canon printer icon disappearedHow to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-disappeared/4b3da210-d807-4d51-83e9-275e001532a1
  3. Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop: Hello,I accidentally pressed a shortcut, not sure which one, something like Windows + Control + D, and it switched the desktop.I didn't know about these keys, but when I pressed them, all my icons from my original screen disapperead when switching to the other desktops.Is...
  4. Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop: Hello,I accidentally pressed a shortcut, not sure which one, something like Windows + Control + D, and it switched the desktop.I didn't know about these keys, but when I pressed them, all my icons from my original screen disapperead when switching to the other desktops.Is...
  5. Desktop Icons disappeared after switching to virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Desktop Icons Disappearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Disappearing: For no explainable reason, the Icons on my Desktop Recycle Bin etc have disappeared. I have tried going through Personalization and Themes and ticking the icons I want on my Desktop but it's not working. Any advice? Thanks in advance...
  7. This PC icon on the Desktop disappeared after Win 10 Update

This PC icon on the Desktop disappeared after Win 10 Update: This PC icon on the Desktop disappeared after Win 10 Update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-pc-icon-on-the-desktop-disappeared-after-win/64c93af3-4702-46b6-9f20-e54dce7634fd
  8. icons on desktop disappeared

icons on desktop disappeared: I have MS 10 and have an HP. My internet Explorer and other icons have disappeared. In place are a lot of blocks with different offerings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-on-desktop-disappeared/384198c5-9f8b-43c1-852f-3695f2b7f68c
  9. desktop icon disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icon disappear: windows 10 starts with a black screen (with few locked applications to task bar & tray) no right click so I can't ask to show desktop icons). It seems that the black screen is covering the desktop because playing with the settings (personalization etc) show all icons for a...
  10. Desktop Icon disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon disappears: Hello, I'm trying to research this issue for a small software company I work for. one of the most common issues I seem to see lately is that our customers are telling us that their shortcut to our program is disappearing from their desktop of their workstation computers....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop icons disappeared after windows update

2. desktop icons disappeared after update

3. desktop did not come back after microsoft update

4. icon session disapear,
  5. when i clic on desktop icon it is disaapearing win10,
  6. desktop icons disappeared windows update,
  7. windows desktop icon disappeared after Windows update,
  8. microsoft icons disappeared after update,
  9. after update cant open icons on desktop,
  10. after win 10 update icons are off screen,
  11. windows update made my desktop icons disapear,