Windows 10: Icons randomly change sizes.

Discus and support Icons randomly change sizes. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have my desktop icons set to Large and all of the programs / shortcuts have 256x256 icons. They all appeared as large icons until a couple of days... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Chris_64k, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Chris_64k Win User

Icons randomly change sizes.

I have my desktop icons set to Large and all of the programs / shortcuts have 256x256 icons. They all appeared as large icons until a couple of days ago when a game I was playing crashed. After that about half the icons had reverted to a smaller size, this has also happened after updates in the past.

I have tried the following to fix the issue.

• Changed icon size to Medium & back to Large.
    • Changed screen resolution.
    • Changed screen scaling.
    • Ran a DISM check.
    • Ran a SCF scan.
    • Rebuilt icon cache.*
    • Restarted computer.
    • Updated Video Drivers.
    • Updated Windows.

If I rebuild the icon cache it fixes some icons and breaks others, it seems to just randomly decided which icons it wants load correctly and which it doesn't.

While I have figured out a work around it is kind of a pain. If I rename or make a copy of the icon file and assign the renamed or copied version to the shortcut it returns to the full size, but doing this after random updates or game crashes is a pain.

Here is a picture of what I mean. The first row is a "broken" shortcut and the icon assigned to it. The second row is the same shortcut & a copy of the icon, but the shortcut has been assigned the copy as it's icon.

Icons randomly change sizes. 1f6f4724-5649-46ca-8bcb-6fd8bb2e4a98?upload=true.png

Why do the icon sizes load inconsistently after updates, crashes, or cache rebuilds and is there an actual fix?

:)

Chris_64k, Nov 4, 2020
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

Font and Icon size

Hi Vickie,

It's possible that some settings were accidentally changed, affecting your icons and font size. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As initial recommendation, we suggest following these steps to change the icon size:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Select View.
    • Choose Medium icons or Small icons, whichever you prefer more.

Additionally, you can change the display size of texts and other items by following these steps:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Click Display settings.
    • Under Change the size of text, apps, and other items, drag the slider over to 100%.
    • If the slider is already on 100%, click Advanced display settings.
    • Under Resolution, choose the Recommended option from the drop-down choices.

We'll wait for your response to our questions and the results of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Nov 4, 2020
  3. How to change the size of icon

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to know how to change the size of Desktop icons. We will help you.

I suggest you to follow the steps to change the size of the icons.

1. Right click on "Desktop".

2. Select "View".

3. Customize accordingly.

To change the icon:

1.Right click on the folder you want to change the icon

2. Select "Properties".

3. Click on "Customize".

4. Click on "Change icon".

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thanks.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 4, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

change desk icon size in windows 10

Hi Beth,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Go to system tray and click on all settings
    • Select system, click on display
    • Go to the right side of the Display segment and use the slider to
      change the size of text, apps and other items on your Windows 10
    To resize the desktop icons, select all the icons on the desktop (or only the ones you want to resize), hold down the Control key and rotate the mouse wheel. All of the selected icons will resize.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Thanks and Regards

Arun B J, Nov 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Icons randomly change sizes. - Similar Threads - Icons randomly change

2. Change Taskbar Icon Size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Taskbar Icon Size: I never commanded my taskbar to change anything so maybe this came with an update but I do not need extra large icons on my task bar just to see what I'm clicking on. I click on the taks bar to change the icon saize and click on taskbar settings and it's not even an option!...
  3. Change Taskbar Icon Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Taskbar Icon Size: I never commanded my taskbar to change anything so maybe this came with an update but I do not need extra large icons on my task bar just to see what I'm clicking on. I click on the taks bar to change the icon saize and click on taskbar settings and it's not even an option!...
  4. Desktop Icon changes size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icon changes size: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134 Public Release versionDoes anyone else have problems with Desktop Icons changing size?I have one icon on my desktop, that when I start my computer displays it's large size. During the course of the day while using my computer, without even touching...
  5. Desktop icons changed size?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons changed size?: I had my desktop really nice and organised, all the icons were the default size and such. however i took my pc with me on holiday and plugged it into an external TV which in turn changed all my icons around and it changed their size . i thought it would be fine as when i...
  6. Windows 10 desktop icon grid size randomly changed

Windows 10 desktop icon grid size randomly changed: Windows 10 appears to have reset the icon snap-to grid settings both vertically and horizontally to roughly double what they were before. If I turn off snap-to grid, then I can move the icons closer horizontally, but not vertically. My computer was plugged in overnight, so...
  7. Fonts are changing sizes at random

Fonts are changing sizes at random: When ever I am searching the Chrome, Explorer, Edge, discord, and and outlook all seem to randomly change in size without me even touching my mouse. Its random and happens when not touching my computer. Even while typing this message my Fonts and screen randomly changed...
  8. Changing the size of desktop icons

Changing the size of desktop icons: Hello, When I place a shortcut to a file on the desktop it assigns the default icon (e.g. Word or Excel icon) and this is approx 80 x 80 pixels. If I then change that icon to one that I've created it displays at approx 40 x 40 pixels (choosing an icon from the icons folder...
  9. Windows 10 taskbar icon changes size randomly

Windows 10 taskbar icon changes size randomly: Hello I'm using windows 10 and I've customized the size of task bar icons. Intermittently I'm noticing random changes in their size. The icons in the system tray remain intact. Though a restart restores the icon size to how it was, this behavior is annoying. Is there a...
  10. Desktop Icons/Fonts change sizes by themselves randomly

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons/Fonts change sizes by themselves randomly: My friend can walk away from his computer and come back and the desktop icons/fonts will have changed sizes. It also randomly happens while using the computer/browsing. I have read about other people having this problem with desktop icons but have not found a solution. Any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com