Windows 10: Icons reset when the PC is rebooted after undocking

Discus and support Icons reset when the PC is rebooted after undocking in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Ok so i use a laptop that I use at work and at home, at home i plug in an aditional screen (1080p) same as the laptop screen which is also1080p, when i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DracovaDragon, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Icons reset when the PC is rebooted after undocking

Ok so i use a laptop that I use at work and at home, at home i plug in an aditional screen (1080p) same as the laptop screen which is also1080p, when i unplug the screen and go to work without putting off the laptop my icons stay in the same position but when i restart my laptop they reset to the old arrangement i had, i have changed the setting that disables themes from changing the icon layout and that didnt work

Please help

***Original Title: Icons reset***

:)

DracovaDragon, Jul 5, 2019

2. Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock

I have a Dell laptop and a Dell external monitor. I am running Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.1884
    I have seen other posts about this but nothing recent. I am new to using a laptop with a second monitor. Every time I dock or undock the laptop, the desktop icons rearrange themselves. I have autoarrange off and have tried toggling "display desktop icons".

Was this issue every actually fixed? Or just something we have to live with. Its a big waste of time to arrange my icon on the big external monitor only to have them change after an undock/dock cycle. Also, when I undock, the icon location are very different on the laptop builtin screen.

Is there a way to have two desktops that don't change, one for the external monitor when docked and one of the built-in when undocked?

rhodesengr, Jul 5, 2019
  3. Undock Windows 10 laptop

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with this.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Are you facing any issue while undocking the laptop from docking station?
    As of now there is no such software “undock" button for Windows 10, you can use hardware undock button to undock the laptop.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jul 5, 2019
  4. IggSter Win User

Icons reset when the PC is rebooted after undocking

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

Icons reset when the PC is rebooted after undocking

1. Icons reset when the PC is rebooted after undocking - Similar Threads - Icons reset rebooted

2. Lock icon missing after pc reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock icon missing after pc reset.: Before windows reset there was lock icons showing on all my drives but after resetting the pc lock icons are gone, How can I make them appear again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-icon-missing-after-pc-reset/7396a2e9-6744-4c88-9fbc-04441a9028fc
  3. Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing: Dear MS representatives,Will the Windows 10 bug that causes theHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetricsIconSpacing and IconVerticalSpacingto keep increasing from the default value of -1125 each time a Surface Book device is docked and undocked, ever be fixed?I...
  4. Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing: Dear MS representatives,Will the Windows 10 bug that causes theHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetricsIconSpacing and IconVerticalSpacingto keep increasing from the default value of -1125 each time a Surface Book device is docked and undocked, ever be fixed?I...
  5. Docking and undocking keeps increasing icon spacing

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. My PC won't reboot after reset

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My PC won't reboot after reset: After reset my PC windows 10 it won't reboot .I try many times but it keeps showing :"the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an expected error.windows installation cannot proceed.to install windows click ok to restart the PC and...
  7. My desktop icons keep resetting after a reboot.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My desktop icons keep resetting after a reboot.: They keep going back to the same random position. Auto-arrange icons is OFF. It is not an antivirus issue. Anyone know why? submitted by /u/itscharlie378 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h8qqzq/my_desktop_icons_keep_resetting_after_a_reboot/
  8. How to keep Desktop Icons from moving when undocking – Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to keep Desktop Icons from moving when undocking – Windows 10: [ATTACH]The default mode of Desktop is to auto-arrange icons. If you move an icon or delete or add a new one, then it will rearrange […] This article How to keep Desktop Icons from moving when undocking – Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Time zone changes when undocked

in Windows 10 Support
    Time zone changes when undocked: On one users computer, the time zone seems to change when she undocks her computer. Suddenly the time is 2 hours off (until today, when it was 3 hours off, presumably because of the DST change over the weekend). When she re-docs, the time reverts to normal. Any thoughts?...
  10. Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons keep rearranging after dock/undock: I have a Dell laptop and a Dell external monitor. I am running Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.1884 I have seen other posts about this but nothing recent. I am new to using a laptop with a second monitor. Every time I dock or undock the laptop, the desktop icons...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc reset at undock