Windows 10: Icons to primary monitor

Discus and support Icons to primary monitor in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I added a monitor to my tv/monitor for a dual screen setup. Windows automatically made the pc monitor the main screen and moved all my icons there. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/IndifferenceKills, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Icons to primary monitor

I added a monitor to my tv/monitor for a dual screen setup. Windows automatically made the pc monitor the main screen and moved all my icons there. I want the tv as main so I changed it and the icons moved automatically. I decided I didn't like the tv as the main and once again moved the primary however the icons did not follow this time. Is there a way to have them move to the primary monitor?

TLDR: Added second monitor, desktop icons went there. Moved everything to another monitor now need it to go back to first config.

submitted by /u/IndifferenceKills
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/IndifferenceKills, Oct 9, 2020
  2. T0SNIC Win User

Windows & desktop icons on secondary monitor are moved to primary monitor after standby

I had been using 2 monitors with the same resolution (1280x1024) without issues. I recently replaced my primary monitor with a 1920x1080 monitor. Every time the system wakes up from standby everything from the secondary monitor is moved to the primary monitor.
    Strangely enough, the desktop icons and the windows (explorer & applications) are not always moved.

I have already tried to delete corrupted registry entries as stated in
    this thread
    . There were 3 monitors listed with different resolutions. That did nothing.

System specs:

Video card: AMD R7 260X

primary monitor cable: DVI

secondary monitor cable: DVI output -> VGA adaptor

T0SNIC, Oct 9, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Primary monitor blacks out after disconnecting from external

Hi Oscar,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?

This issue could be due to the display setting corruption that only affected the primary display when disconnected from the secondary.

I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works for you:

• Press ‘Win + R’ keys on the keyboard together to open the Run dialog box and type the following into the Run box:
      appwiz.cpl
    • Uninstall Intel HD Graphics Drivers and exit
      Programs and Features.
    • Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose
      Device Manager
    • Expand Display Adapters and right click on
      Intel HD Graphics Display Driver.
    • Click on Uninstall and check the box
      Delete the driver software for this device.

• With the external monitor connected, reboot the machine.
    • Once the machine boots into the desktop, disconnect the external monitor and check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 9, 2020
  4. Icons to primary monitor

No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

Issue solved

Removed DVI/HDMI cable from computer and monitor

Step 1: Check if the VGA monitor cable is defective.

1. Turn off computer
    2. Connect the monitor VGA cable from the monitor to the VGA port on the computer
    3. Turn on computer, VGA monitor cable is good.

Step 2: Tun off computer
    1. Connect HDMI Cable to HDMI port and TV
    2. Turn on computer and TV, there is no monitor black screen
    3. Click on the Windows logo, select the Settings icon , and then select

System. Under Display there are two squares, labeled 1 and 2

D Click on Advanced Display Settings:

Display information: Display 1- Monitor Display 2 -TV

E Right-click the Speakers icon in
      the taskbar, select Sound, click on Playback devices,

a s tv screen with my brand shows
      AMD High Definition Audio Device ready.

F. Problem solved

Cause of the problem: Defective VGA port on the Syba VGA HD15+ 3.5 Audio to HDMI converter

Rooben Kajima, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

Icons to primary monitor

1. Icons to primary monitor - Similar Threads - Icons primary monitor

2. Visual artifacts on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Visual artifacts on primary monitor: Hello, I have been getting these strange visual glitches on my primary monitor on startup for a while and usually after a minute or so they go away, however they recently have been getting so bad that after a few seconds my whole screen freezes up and slowly becomes all...
  3. Visual artifacts on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Visual artifacts on primary monitor: Hello, I have been getting these strange visual glitches on my primary monitor on startup for a while and usually after a minute or so they go away, however they recently have been getting so bad that after a few seconds my whole screen freezes up and slowly becomes all...
  4. Visual artifacts on primary monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Primary monitor keeps disappearing!

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Primary monitor keeps disappearing!: My primary monitor only supports HDMI input, and my second monitor is VGA only. I am currently using a Displayport to HDMI adapter to run my primary monitor, and an HDMI to VGA adaptor to run the second screen. The problem is that any time the PC goes into power saving mode,...
  6. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary: I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to...
  7. Multiple Monitor / TV as primary

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple Monitor / TV as primary: So I use a tv as my primary monitor, but coming out of hibernate (with other monitors off) my windows often migrate to one of my powered-off displays. Any suggestions for constraining this kind of behavior from the OS? submitted by /u/GrayscaleUnicorn [link] [comments]...
  8. How to move volume icon from primary monitor taskbar to secondary monitor taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to move volume icon from primary monitor taskbar to secondary monitor taskbar?: move or duplicate, either works for me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-volume-icon-from-primary-monitor/5e3cd760-5854-4fc5-995c-8eedbbb381a3
  9. Hide Taskbar on Primary Monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hide Taskbar on Primary Monitor: Hey guys, I can't hide (not auto-hide) the taskbar on my primary monitor. Of course I can enable auto-hide, but that's not what i want. I could switch the primary monitor, but then I can't use my 144 Hz becuase the second monitor is only 60 Hz. Are there, maybe...
  10. Primary Monitor goes black

Primary Monitor goes black: I posted this same exact question in January. I was able to get it resolved by performing an In-Place upgrade, as suggested. That worked, until about a week ago. Now I am having the same exact issue again. I tried doing an In-Place upgrade again, and it did not resolve...