Windows 10: Icons Very Slow to fill in on Desktop+ fix?

Discus and support Icons Very Slow to fill in on Desktop+ fix? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi. I have upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 and when i start up the Desktop Icons fill in "INSTANTLY". I also have a laptop with windows 10 and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by tomslm, May 13, 2019.

1. tomslm Win User

Icons Very Slow to fill in on Desktop+ fix?

Hi. I have upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 and when i start up the Desktop Icons fill in "INSTANTLY". I also have a laptop with windows 10 and it takes a long time to fill in the Desktop Icons. Is there anything that can be done to make the icons come up instantly like on the desktop?

PS: I tried creating a MaxCachedIcons String Value and a D-word Value, it helped but very very little. Anyone have any idea's on this? Thank You

:)

tomslm, May 13, 2019

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, May 13, 2019
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, May 13, 2019
  4. MCK
    mck Win User

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thema:

1. Icons Very Slow to fill in on Desktop+ fix? - Similar Threads - Icons Very Slow

2. problem with icons not allowed to fill entire desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem with icons not allowed to fill entire desktop.: Runing win 11. Icons, be they folders, shortcuts to apps, PDFs, Word docs, if placed on the bottom of desktop, will default to the left upper corner of the desktop. And stack on top of each other. The bottom part of the desktop is empty. Does anyone know of a fix?...
  3. problem with icons not allowed to fill entire desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem with icons not allowed to fill entire desktop.: Runing win 11. Icons, be they folders, shortcuts to apps, PDFs, Word docs, if placed on the bottom of desktop, will default to the left upper corner of the desktop. And stack on top of each other. The bottom part of the desktop is empty. Does anyone know of a fix?...
  4. Very large desktop icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very large desktop icons: [ATTACH] I have no clue what I did here. my desktop had normal icons and now they are fricking huge, many of them are covering other icons. Also not gonna lie, I am kinda small brained when it comes to computers and stuff so any help is appreciated. do not mind the dwayne...
  5. Fixing external Disk is very slow!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fixing external Disk is very slow!: Hi, I have Windows 10. I had a problem with my external hard drive it said fatal hardware error as it was not recognized by the system, though found as disk F:\. I restarted as sometimes it fixes such bugs. right at the start of booting, windows started fixing my...
  6. Multiple icons filled my desktop overnight

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple icons filled my desktop overnight: These appeared this morning: [IMG] Why? A recent Windows 10 update? Brian Auckland, New Zealand https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-icons-filled-my-desktop-overnight/710024d0-3aba-49b5-96e4-1250feae6500"
  7. Remote Desktop Connection Very Slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remote Desktop Connection Very Slow: I have a Dell Windows 10 Pro pc and a HP Windows 10 Pro pc, which I access remotley using Remote Desktop Connection on a Dell Windows 10 Home Laptop. The remote connection to both pcs were working great until yesterday. Now the connection to the HP pc using the Dell laptop is...
  8. Very random program icons filling up photos

in Windows 10 Support
    Very random program icons filling up photos: Since i got this new pc, ive realized that these weird icons from various random apps have been appearing in my photos app. example: 50 xbox logos in a row varying in size and color or a hundred microphone icons etc. (screenshots attached) apparently some date back to...
  9. Internet is very slow on desktop PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet is very slow on desktop PC: I have 2 PCs, a desktop and a laptop... Ever since I got the desktop in Feb 2015, i've been noticing internet speed issues, but always too lazy to deal with it. Finally i'm tired of it now lol. So the actual physical internet connection isn't the issue, I get anywhere between...
  10. How to fix a very slow laptop?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to fix a very slow laptop?: SSD may not help with processing power but sure helps with program starting, Even with normal use, windows reads and writes several GB daily and there's also virtual memory that works much better with SSD. There's also superfetch and prefetch using disk all the time.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop slow to populate

2. desktop icon properties slow