Windows 10: Icy Dock MB994SK-1B multiple boot drives

Discus and support Icy Dock MB994SK-1B multiple boot drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have just ordered an Icy Dock MB994SK-1B for my PC. I currently have 3 SSD's. 1 is currently my boot drive for Windows 10 and is working fine. I will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by veldthui, Oct 15, 2016.

1. veldthui Win User

Icy Dock MB994SK-1B multiple boot drives

I have just ordered an Icy Dock MB994SK-1B for my PC. I currently have 3 SSD's. 1 is currently my boot drive for Windows 10 and is working fine. I will transfer this one from it's current single removable tray to 1 bay of the Icy Dock.

I also have a previous version of my Windows 10 in which I cannot change the network adaptor settings due to VMware software locking the adaptor and no way to get rid of it. I want to put this into bay 2 of the Icy Dock. The question is what happens when the PC boots and sees two bootable drives? Which one will it boot from?
    I want to erase the second SSD so that I can re-use it as a normal drive for important data as I no longer use the Windows copy on that drive.

The 3rd SSD has Server 2012 demo on it which I play around with when I get bored so just plug it in and boot from it when ever the fancy takes me.

:)

veldthui, Oct 15, 2016

2. An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. Error 0x80070057: the parameter is incorrect

Okay, trying to copy files to or from my 3TB Seagate drive in a SATA dock.

- Tried multiple SATA docks

- Tried Windows scan/repair tool in explorer (it cannot repair the drive. log shows shadow copy provider had an error

- using various utilities (and Ubuntu's Gparted) shows the drive as 756gb instead of 3tb

- I can still access the files, but cannot copy them to another drive or copy files to the drive in question

- tried running chkdsk /f /r /x but after 2 hours it was at 140/7290 sectors. at that rate it will take weeks to scan

- even used Active Partition Recovery and it showed that the Copy Boot Sector was invalid. Copied the Primary Boot Sector to the Copy Boot Sector and all is showing in the green now...still no difference

- ran sfc /scannow and all system files are fine

I've spent an entire day working on this issue. I'm at my wit's end. What else is there left to do other than run a full CHKDSK which (on a 3tb drive) might take weeks??

authormoreau, Oct 15, 2016
  3. DSRA Win User
    Windows 10: Icons selected to appear on Taskbar keep resetting back to default selections after random period of time

I also have the same issue. In my case I clearly see that the issues occurs every time I switch to and from my docking station.

While I am on the docking station and set the icons I want to see in the Task Tray (Outlook, Skype, Cisco VPN, SnagIt, power, sound, network, and time) and hide the others. These icons stay visible (though the order may change) over multiple boots as long
    as I boot up on the docking station. Now when I boot my laptop off the docking station all the icons I have pinned are now hidden and only the power, sound, network, and time are displayed. I go back and show my icons again while off the docking station. As
    long as I reboot off the docking station they stay. Then when I boot on the docking station everything resets again.

My profile is not corrupt, the icon cache has been cleared, I am on the latest Windows 10 x64 and it is fully patched. This is an issue at the core of the OS, not a corruption of files, registry, cache, or profile.

4. veldthui Win User

Well it did not do what I expected. I had all three drives in the slots. Windows 10 Main in Port 0, Port 1 had nothing in it, Port 2 had the old Windows 10 bootable drive, and Port 3 had the Server 2012 R2 bootable demo on it.
    I expected to be able to select which drive to boot from but only the DVD and one SSD showed up. All drives appeared on the SATA list along with the 2 3TB data drives.

I let it boot and it booted into the Server drive. Logged in and the other drives available and could see the data.

Looks like I will have to have only 1 bootable drive to ensure I get the correct one.

Made Port 0 none hot swappable and the other 3 ports hot swapped. Works a treat.

Now just have to save some more money for some more 2.5 drives.

veldthui, Oct 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Icy Dock MB994SK-1B multiple boot drives - Similar Threads - Icy Dock MB994SK

2. Multiple Hard Drives/ Multiple Boots/Corrupt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple Hard Drives/ Multiple Boots/Corrupt: So, I have two different drives I use to boot my PC. One came with the PC, it's HDD, it has an OS with Windows 10 on it. The second is an m.2 SSD, I mainly use this one. The second has Windows 11 with all my saved games. Recently I've been trying to overclock my CPU, and...
  3. Multiple Hard Drives/ Multiple Boots/Corrupt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Hard Drives/ Multiple Boots/Corrupt: So, I have two different drives I use to boot my PC. One came with the PC, it's HDD, it has an OS with Windows 10 on it. The second is an m.2 SSD, I mainly use this one. The second has Windows 11 with all my saved games. Recently I've been trying to overclock my CPU, and...
  4. Multiple Hard Drives/ Multiple Boots/Corrupt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiple displays not working with a docking station

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple displays not working with a docking station: I can always connect one monitor at a time, but once I connect a second, both displays go black #3 and #2, #1 and #4 are the laptop screens. What does it mean that #2 is grayed out?...
  6. Class ID with Multiple Docking Stations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Class ID with Multiple Docking Stations: Hi, We use the class ID so we can assign various options on our dhcp scopes. The desktops are fine as they dont move about. The laptops are obviously mobile and they attach to different docking stations a people move about. When you set the class id on the laptop initially...
  7. Boot options with multiple drives.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot options with multiple drives.: Question for you guys from basically a Windows rookie. I have been on linux and osx for about 15 years now so a lot of stuff has changed. I was recently given a new work laptop with win10 to use from home and was actually pretty happy because of the nice size screen on it....
  8. Multiple USB boot drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple USB boot drive: Hi. Is there a way to have a single USB drive (thumb / external HDD / etc.) that allows a choice which, say, partition I want to boot from. Example reason: having several recovery OSs (Hirens / Kaspersky / Win10 (x86 / x64) some or all) all on one drive, but independently...
  9. Multiple Docking Stations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple Docking Stations: I have surface pro, like it, I have docking station, if I travel to another office and use another different docking station, will it disturb my 1st docking station settings ( 2 monitors, one portrait, one landscape) etc......
  10. Hard drive dock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive dock: I have a hard drive dock and just got a new computer. What will happen if I try to put my old hard drive in to the usb hard drive dock? will it be usable or do I need to format it first? 41127