Windows 10: IDE to AHCI help

Discus and support IDE to AHCI help in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO). I'm not totally "new" to computers, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ESMazur, Feb 19, 2021.

1. IDE to AHCI help

I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO).

I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that down in comparison. I was also needing to get woth the times. I cloned my old HDD to my SSD using the Data Migration from Samsung. Not realizing that AMD (mine) was EFI. There is a lot of conflict, from researching, with Samsung and AMD. As well as my controller needing to be ACHI. From what I gathered, it can possibly damage and shorten the life of the drive. Reading a few articles on switching from EFI to ACHI without reinstalling Windows, seemed to be much of a headache and sometimes not guaranteed. Please correct if I'm wrong.

OS - Windows(64) 10 Home
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Verson: sex
    Processor - AMD FX 6300
    Memory - 16GB Ram
    SSD - Samsung 870 EV0

Needing some confirmation/suggestions when reinstalling windows.

-Should I wipe the drive. Should I use the Samsung Magician? What's the best method?

- When do I need or should switch from EFI to ACHI?

-Do I need a certain boot order with the new drive when switching the controller or adding a SSD?

-Is there anyway to save all my programs and files. Recover after reinstalling windows and everything is okay with the controller?

Anything I am missing, please tell me.
    Thank you so much for any assistance and help.

submitted by /u/ESMazur
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ESMazur, Feb 19, 2021
  2. Rudy Mas Win User

AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, Feb 19, 2021
  3. Looking for help regarding AHCI vs IDE

IDE doesn't have the faculties to do RAID.

AHCI is necessary for RAID, but RAID isn't necessary on AHCI. I've got a system that runs AHCI with 4 2TB discs as storage and 1 500 GB disk as the OS.

XP doesn't have AHCI support baked in. Vista, 7, and 8 do. You can add AHCI drivers into windows XP, but it is a chore.

AHCI and RAID options on a motherboard are splitting hairs. AHCI technically allows RAID, but often introduced compatibility issues in some drives. In order to address this some vendors have AHCI, RAID, and IDE modes to allow everything to work. RAID mode will do everything AHCI does. AHCI lacks proper RAID support, but it will work with almost any drive. IDE works with all drives, but doesn't do RAID.

All summed up: Run in at least AHCI mode (RAID if you can do a bit of troubleshooting and have more recent hardware). IDE is functionally dead, and it should be. Finally, RAID is a topic in and of itself. If you have questions on it I suggest you open another topic. There are more knowledgeable people than I on getting the best performance out of an array.

lilhasselhoffer, Feb 19, 2021
  4. IDE to AHCI help

Catalyst 10.9 AHCI question

When I installed the AHCI in my computer in the hardware list it was listing all the SATA in IDE/ATAPI section and written AHCI 1.0. Now that I installed the 10.9 AHCI drive from ATI website its now having only those 4:
    -AMD Sata controller
    -ATA channel 0
    -ATA channel 1
    -IDE controller standard double canal PCI.

Do I still have the AHCI function?

MohawkAngel, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

IDE to AHCI help

1. IDE to AHCI help - Similar Threads - IDE AHCI help

2. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  3. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Unable to know if my device is using AHCI or IDE.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to know if my device is using AHCI or IDE.: Hello.....I have an Acer Extensa 15......I was trying to make a dual boot of Linux Mint alongside windows but I can't check if my device is using AHCI or IDE. There is no such thing as IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers in the device manager............and I don't know how to check it...
  6. IDE to AHCI new install Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    IDE to AHCI new install Help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD870 EVO. I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  7. Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI: Sorry to bother you all. I am currently trying to change my SATA mode from IDE to AHCI but in my BIOS the option to change it is grayed out. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My Specs are: Packard Bell imedia S1800 PC Ram: 2.0 GB DDR3 SSD: Crucial BX200 Media...
  8. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  9. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Support
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  10. AHCI vs regular Native IDE

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    AHCI vs regular Native IDE: Hello. I feel that setting your SATA harddisks to AHCI mode can be mandatory when you have a SSD drive. Doing some benchmarks on my Intel i7 shows that my SSD it's 50% slower running under IDE. Besides I am not sure but does IDE support TRIM commands? But what about...