Windows 10: IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update

Discus and support IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an R-Driver III USB 2.0 to SATA IDE Cable (Comes with an AC adapter) and a SODIAL USB 3.0 to SATA III Cable (USB power only). I have tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Carsomyr, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Carsomyr Win User

IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update

I have an R-Driver III USB 2.0 to SATA IDE Cable (Comes with an AC adapter) and a SODIAL USB 3.0 to SATA III Cable (USB power only). I have tried to format 2 IDE drives on the 2.0 cable and one drive on the 3.0 cable. Using the 2.0 cable I have incessant disconnecting and reconnecting. I was able to get a folder of pictures off of one drive in pieces during the reconnecting, and eventually I did get it to do a low level format after grabbing the latest updates from WU and rebooting. The other drive disconnects immediately when i try to format it. The 3rd drive using the USB 3.0 cable also disconnects when I try to format.

I am at a loss here. i have no idea why all the drives and both cables are being so finicky. I did not have this trouble before the latest update.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention there is nothing physically wrong with the drives. All 3 came out of old but perfectly functioning machines.

:)

Carsomyr, Jun 2, 2017

2. how to replace system drive and re-install windows 10

Thanks Brian, I did not know they provided that!

I have a usb 2.0 to ide/sata adapter including the power adapter.

Would that work for the newer SSD?

Daleksquared, Jun 2, 2017
  3. transfer files to new windows 10 computer from old windows 7 computer

Still recommend Copy --> Paste.

If you are afraid you will miss something, take the drive out of the old system, put it in a USB case or get a SATA to USB adapter and keep it around.

Shenan Stanley, Jun 2, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

That's what I thought with a PATA drive in a USB case but turned out as it warmed up things started going bad. I now have a new WDC 320GB SATA drive in a USB 2.0 case that works fine. Both SATA and PATA use the IDE interface, IDE is a hold-over term from the changes away from MFM/RLL drives. As far as USB goes, even though many things with USB 3.0 say it is backward compatible with USB 2.0 that may not always be true in the real world. And many times I see USB ports not providing sufficient power for external devices, always has been curable by using a Self-powered USB Hub. I've also had issues with the USB cases involving the 2.5" drives that take more than 0.5A-0.55A current [on the label], they usually have a Y-cable, one leg for a USB port for data and power and the other leg for additional power which usually works good.

Berton, Jun 2, 2017
  5. Carsomyr Win User
    I literally ran all 3 computers that these drives came out of within the past week. They all ran their respective OS/programs fine. The 2 drives I used with the 2.0 cables came out of desktops, they are powered through the AC adapter, so USB power isn't an issue there. The other drive came out of a laptop which was again functioning normally. I have never had any issues with 2.5" drives not drawing enough power.

Carsomyr, Jun 2, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    I had just Upgraded from Version 1607 to Version 1703 Build 15063 today and checked one of my small portable USB drives, works fine but I am using a Self-Powered USB Hub to assure sufficient power.

Berton, Jun 2, 2017
  7. Carsomyr Win User
    Even if I had a power issue with the 2.5" drive (Which i don't think i do, but for arguments sake we will say i did), that still doesn't say anything about the 2 desktop drives that are plugged into a power strip.

My case is a rosewill stealth and it has one of those fancy docking bays on top, I am gonna give that a shot in a bit. I don't think i hooked it up to the motherboard when i put my computer together IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update :p

Carsomyr, Jun 2, 2017
  8. Carsomyr Win User

UPDATE: The 2.5" drive is formatting fine so far in the HDD dock.

I really just want to write this off as microsoft borked the usb drivers again, I find it hard to believe that both sets of my cables are suddenly bad. Anyways, that is 2 drives down, the last one is the most troublesome though.

Carsomyr, Jun 2, 2017
  9. I use a RCW-608 Rosewill Sata or IDE to USB 2.0 adapter that's been working with either Sata or IDE drives under W10 1703. I also have several 2.5" Usb 2.0 enclosures that use the "Y" cable and have IDE drives inside of them that work flawlessly. Maybe you do have a problem with those cables.

Note that these units were plugged into USB 3.0 ports only.

storageman, Jun 2, 2017
  10. Carsomyr Win User
    I went through device manager and cleaned out all the instances that were created in the usb/volumes/shadow volumes sections and rebooted. The 3rd drive no longer rapidly connects/disconnects. It still refused to do a low level format using the format option in Disk Management. Using diskpart I made sure the drive wasn't set to read only. I tried to use the clean command in disk part with the all flag set, it did not work. I have no idea why this drive is giving me so much grief.

Edit: The 3rd drive is garbage. Which is surprising because the computer it was in still ran fine, but whatever. The drive is muddled enough and I don't care, it's getting recycled as is.

IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update [​IMG]

Carsomyr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. IDE->USB/SATA->USB adapters no longer working after Creators Update - Similar Threads - IDE >USB SATA

2. SATA to USB-c adapter not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA to USB-c adapter not working: Wanted to upgrade my 2 laptops and desktop hard drives to SSD. Bought 2 WD 500gb SSD's and a WD 1T SSD. Also bought a wavlink usb to sata adapter and used Macrium Reflec for cloning. Connected the first WD 500 to my Dell Inspiron Win 10 Home using Wavlink and proceeded to...
  3. SATA to USB-c adapter not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA to USB-c adapter not working: Wanted to upgrade my 2 laptops and desktop hard drives to SSD. Bought 2 WD 500gb SSD's and a WD 1T SSD. Also bought a wavlink usb to sata adapter and used Macrium Reflec for cloning. Connected the first WD 500 to my Dell Inspiron Win 10 Home using Wavlink and proceeded to...
  4. SATA to USB-c adapter not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows

Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows: I have purchased this Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter in hopes of retrieving old photos off an external hard drive and the older type hard drives BUT my windows 10 wont find it or anything, I can hear the drive running but nothing from my computer, I have...
  6. Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter not working in windows: I have purchased this Usb To Sata Ide Cable Usb 2.0 To Sata Converter in hopes of retrieving old photos off an external hard drive and the older type hard drives BUT my windows 10 wont find it or anything, I can hear the drive running but nothing from my computer, I have...
  7. USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update

USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter no longer works after windows update: I have a USB 3.0 SATA/IDE universal adapter that has worked for many years. Sadly Windows did a number of updates and I do not know which to remove to get my device working. It is important to note that I also have a number of external USB drives that work fine. However, the...
  8. Sabrent USB 2.0 IDE/SATA Hard Disk Drive to USB not detected.

Sabrent USB 2.0 IDE/SATA Hard Disk Drive to USB not detected.: It has its own power supply, and I've tried the front and back USB ports on my tower. The lights are all on, and I can hear the hard drive itself running, and yet the computer doesn't detect it in any way. The hard drive is a 250GB Maxtor IDE HDD. I've tried these jumper...
  9. SATA to USB Adapter - Drive Not Seen

SATA to USB Adapter - Drive Not Seen: Hi Guys, I have one of those newfangled SATA-to-USB adapters for internal hard drives. I have attempted to hook up two of them - one is a WD Caviar 500GB; another is a Seagate Barracuda 3000GB. I am not able to see inside them. If I go to Windows 10 computer (disk)...
  10. Trying to use old IDE to USB adapter (works fine on Win7)

Trying to use old IDE to USB adapter (works fine on Win7): I have an IDE to USB adapter which is over ten years old. It works on my Windows 7 laptop but not on my Windows 10 desktop. My Windows 10 desktop shows a drive letter under My Computer for a short time but it doesn't give a volume name or capacity and the drive letter...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sata to ide convertwer does not work after bios update