Windows 10: Ideal home sharing settings?

Discus and support Ideal home sharing settings? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm experiencing a few odd (to me) network conditions and my first step is to confirm here that my Windows settings for a non-homegroup network (1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by markg2, Dec 7, 2016.

1. markg2 Win User

Ideal home sharing settings?

I'm experiencing a few odd (to me) network conditions and my first step is to confirm here that my Windows settings for a non-homegroup network (1 desktop, 3 laptops, 2 printers) is correct/optimal for home (ease of) use without concern of some strange person just popping in a slipping off with data.

I'm attaching 3 screenshots.

Mark

:)

markg2, Dec 7, 2016

2. lv or ideal ??

you can check the voltage by running

kernel-config show

then load up another 'load' like ulv and run the above command again and compare the power useage. if you don't trust it just load lv again,

you can also profile these and control them fromyour desktop (in theroy) so you could overclock to higher amounts and back down to 850 at the touch of a button (widget) i need to figure out the commands first but i'll let you know

MatthewMaude, Dec 7, 2016
  3. lv or ideal ??

just had a look and 'ulv' and 'xlv' are almost identical to 'ideal' except they both use a bit more power @ 500mhz

'ulv' will last longer on stand by where as 'xlv' will last longer whilst idle, all 3 are exactly the same above 500 mhz

so if you wan't more stand by time use 'ulv'

if you want more run time use 'xlv'

MatthewMaude, Dec 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

In screenshot #3 under public folder sharing, I like to keep that turned off. I want to decide which folders get shared on the computers and public folder sharing turned on allows Windows to share some folders that I might not want shared.

NavyLCDR, Dec 7, 2016
  5. markg2 Win User
    I may have a further question regarding your answer to 3 and will get to that once home.

In the meantime, 2 immediate problems/questions I'd like to raise now--

1. When any of the machines boot, regardless of the OS, they present a message in the lower right corner to the effect 'could not connect to all drives'.
    a. Is that message referring to network hard drives?
    b. If so, the message pops up so quick post windows loading it's almost as if the OS isn't giving the loading machine a chance to connect to the other machines.
    c. If the loading machine isn't connected how does it know it's not connected?

2. The time it takes for my laptop, for example, to connect to the other machines on the network after opening file explorer (depending upon the other machine) ranges from slow to glacial. I know this time behavior isn't normal going from previous experience. Is there a reasonably easy (for those of us with a dis-affinity to networks) way to determine/resolve the cause for the slowness?

Mark

markg2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ideal home sharing settings? - Similar Threads - Ideal home sharing

2. ideal and question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ideal and question: This can be the question or an idea of i just thought of ok when are Windows 11 is updating would it be a good idea to change the Scroller when its Updating when u did the same thing for windows 11 when windows 11 boots up or no?...
  3. ideal and question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ideal and question: This can be the question or an idea of i just thought of ok when are Windows 11 is updating would it be a good idea to change the Scroller when its Updating when u did the same thing for windows 11 when windows 11 boots up or no?...
  4. Home sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home sharing: This is a basic question, I am not an expert but want to setup am homegroup to share folders and printer over a home network in windows 10. Do some one have an easy solution to do that. I am doing a lot of photo editing with my family and want to plug in a external hard drive...
  5. my ideal world

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my ideal world: A Microsoft supported program that lets you connect (example) desk top computer to a new lap top and seamless transfers your desk top icons. Lets say you use a hdmi or usb cable between the two, opens up and says 'transfer' and moves files and data and desk top stuff to the...
  6. Share settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Share settings: Hi. I am curious to know if there is a way to reset sharing settings back to default Win 10 install settings, for all files and folders on the system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-settings/82727150-004c-4e77-9934-1877f7f95a96
  7. Home group/network sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home group/network sharing: I have a Desktop with Windows 7 and a Laptop with Windows 10. At an earlier date I was able to share files with both by turning on Home Group on Windows 7 and sharing folders in Network Sharing on my Laptop. I have since had to reinstall my Windows 10 on my Laptop; and...
  8. home networks & shared links

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    home networks & shared links: Please can anyone, give me answer how to correct the following. I have Windows 10 just updated to version 1809. My wife & I both had computer that were linked through the home network. a short while ago her machine crashed, due to a faulty mother board & scrapped, therefor...
  9. Outlook - sharing a search folder (but ideally nothing else)

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook - sharing a search folder (but ideally nothing else): I run an info@ email address. I've just taken on a part-timer who's got her own name@ email address. Certain emails come in via info@ that I categorise under her name. I've then got a search folder that picks up everything in that category. Is there a way I can share...
  10. When is an ideal time to clean CPU?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    When is an ideal time to clean CPU?: Hey people! So I've not cleaned and applied fresh thermal paste on my CPU for over 2 years and I've started to notice my CPU temps increasing more than it used to. The highest temps I'd ever get on full load was about 40-45'C on liquid cooling. Recently I've noticed temps...