Windows 10: Identify and Prevent Update Leading to Black Screen

Discus and support Identify and Prevent Update Leading to Black Screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; While working on Windows normally, suddenly my screen turned black and I would constantly hear the USB-connection sound. A reboot attempt went through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AnthonyWeiner, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Identify and Prevent Update Leading to Black Screen

While working on Windows normally, suddenly my screen turned black and I would constantly hear the USB-connection sound. A reboot attempt went through until the Windows logo was displayed alongside an endlessly spinning circle, while playing the same USB-connection sound over and over.

I dual boot Arch Linux, so I naturally tried to boot it instead: everything works fine there. Hence, I concluded it is not a hardware problem, but perhaps a driver issue.

Thus, I tried safe booting into Windows, but as soon as I enter my login credentials and proceed past the login screen, my keyboard loses power (it has key-illumination) though the desktop is displayed normally. Swapping USB ports had no effect and neither did swapping the keyboard for an old spare. Sadly I don't have a PS/2 keyboard around to try that too.

Performing a system restore temporarily undoes this behavior, allowing Windows to even start normally (i.e., not in safe mode). However, if left unattended for a few minutes, the problem reoccurs, showing the same black screen accompanied by USB-connection sounds. How do I find out which updater/service is the culprit and prevent it from executing?

:)

AnthonyWeiner, Jun 3, 2017

2. windows 10 upgrade leading to black screen

I have tried to upgrade my windows 10.0.10240 which I kept receiving an upgrade pup up from Microsoft. The first attempt went through and I used it for only one day. The next day when I tried to open WhatsApp I installed from opera mini, my system gave me
    a blue screen with a half smiley with this message too "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. we're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.(0%complete)".
    I restarted the system and it booted to the point I supposed to log in and went dark. I tried severally and get stopped by the dark screen. I restored my system with my image backup.

I have tried to upgrade it two different times after the fist attempt but in each of the two times, it will not get to the login page before the dark screen will take over my screen.

I have tried all the recovery and repair steps but none seems to work for me apart from my system image back up which always help me to restore my system to a saved system image.

I need an urgent and detailed solution to this breath taken set back. I want to enjoy the windows 10.0.16299. Thank you.

FIDEL LAMBS, Jun 3, 2017
  3. BSOD "Unexpected_store_exception", "Critical_process_died", black screen "A disk read error occurred", blue screen "Recovery" with "0xc0000225" error code

I just had 2 more BSODs, the latter leading to a black screen with the message "Select a proper boot device" with a "press any key to proceed", which again didn't lead to anything else but the same black screen.

What could be the source of the issue?

EnMushroom, Jun 3, 2017
Thema:

Identify and Prevent Update Leading to Black Screen

1. Identify and Prevent Update Leading to Black Screen - Similar Threads - Identify Prevent Update

2. How to resolve dwme.exe kernelbase.dll errors leading to black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to resolve dwme.exe kernelbase.dll errors leading to black screen: Experiencing black screens while trying to run games and applications. Computer becomes unresponsive.Have found the following in administrative events viewFaulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.3636, time stamp: 0x6e55ef4aFaulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll,...
  3. How to resolve dwme.exe kernelbase.dll errors leading to black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to resolve dwme.exe kernelbase.dll errors leading to black screen: Experiencing black screens while trying to run games and applications. Computer becomes unresponsive.Have found the following in administrative events viewFaulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.3636, time stamp: 0x6e55ef4aFaulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll,...
  4. How to resolve dwme.exe kernelbase.dll errors leading to black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Installing WSL leads to a blue screen loop, how can I prevent this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing WSL leads to a blue screen loop, how can I prevent this?: I have before tried installing WSL and ubuntu through the store, but they complained about a missing feature as discussed in the previous support request see the following in the ubuntu application:WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370114 Error: 0x80370114 The...
  6. Installing WSL leads to a blue screen loop, how can I prevent this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing WSL leads to a blue screen loop, how can I prevent this?: I have before tried installing WSL and ubuntu through the store, but they complained about a missing feature as discussed in the previous support request see the following in the ubuntu application:WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370114 Error: 0x80370114 The...
  7. Issues with Safe Mode lead to permanent black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues with Safe Mode lead to permanent black screen: Hello, I would really appreciate help in solving this issue. I wanted to get rid of Sandboxie because the latest Win10 update requested it. So, after failing to do so via regular uninstall route, I tried to boot in safe mode via Troubleshoot and restart. It produced lingering...
  8. Need help Identifying and solving a problem that keeps on leading to a blue screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need help Identifying and solving a problem that keeps on leading to a blue screen: Here is the link to my MiniDump files that my PC generated after a BSoD: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah6sB76bbi2uhgpMOo4B32XQUvJm?e=ZdiI8U Can someone please identify what the problems are? (A note for Dave) I have updated/ downloaded the qualcomm Atheros Network driver that Acer...
  9. Bluetooth speakers get identified as handsfree headphones after a recent update, that leads...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth speakers get identified as handsfree headphones after a recent update, that leads...: I have a couple of bluetooth speakers that I use for sound on my PC. As of the latest update that came in a couple of weeks ago, I am completely unable to use those, because whatever bluetooth speaker I connect to my PC is identified as a handsfree headphone. In the bluetooth...
  10. Can't access startup screen, boot up leads to black screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't access startup screen, boot up leads to black screen: Before explaining how i got here, i will explain what exactly is happening. When I boot up my computer i see the logo then text saying Preparing Automatic Repair with a loading icon. Then i would get a black screen that would sometimes show a cursor that i can use with the...