Windows 10: Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format

Discus and support Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi: I have a ScanDisk 32-GB thumb drive that functions in my 2013 Honda Accord for playing MP3 files. I want to determine which type of file system,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by VinceB, Nov 16, 2020.

1. VinceB Win User

Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format

Hi:

I have a ScanDisk 32-GB thumb drive that functions in my 2013 Honda Accord for playing MP3 files. I want to determine which type of file system, FAT or NTFS, is used for that particular flash thumb drive.

I also have other, new, 32GB ScanDisk thumb drives, which say that only 28 GB space is available; so I want to do one of the following to a new thumb drive, whichever is needed:

1. Remove the encryption files from the thumb drive to allow full 32 GB available storage space.
    2. Format the new 32GB drive with the proper file system, when prompted to select either NTFS or FAT in File Manager.

Thus, my desire to identify which type of file system is presently used on the thumb drive that plays MP3 in my car. Note: that thumb drive also has the (defaulted) ScanDisk's encryption files. If I am not mistaken, reformatting a thumb drive would remove any ScanDisk encryption files. But, I do not know which file system to use for MP3 files.

Thanks for reading this. TIA for suggestions/comments.

:)

VinceB, Nov 16, 2020

2. Kingston thumb drive format

How do I format a usb thumb drive for music? Kingston Data Traveler, Windows 10

RevcocoSmith, Nov 16, 2020
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Nov 16, 2020
  4. Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format

USB drive

I've bought some USB thumb drives, and when I plug one in, it doesn't get listed in Explorer. Is it not formatted? If not, how do I format it? Other thumb drives have no problem. These are mostly 16GB and I have Windows 10.

VincentSchneider, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format

1. Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format - Similar Threads - Identify Existing USB

2. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  3. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  4. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Formatting a Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a Thumb Drive: Just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office 365. I tried to format a thumb drive but when I select File Explorer, all I get is a list of files I've recently opened. I do not see the Thumb Drive. Doesn't matter if I select any files in the Recent Folder, I don't see...
  6. USB thumb drives

USB thumb drives: Sorry not really a w10 issue but how much actual data should I expect to get from a 32g drive? I just bought one and it is only 28.6 should I return it? I contacted Sandisk and this is what they said; Thank you for contacting SanDisk® Global Customer Support. I understand...
  7. Duplicate USB Thumb drive letters

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate USB Thumb drive letters: Greetings all, Can anyone tell me why I would be seeing duplicate drive letters for any USB drive i.e. thumb, ssd, etc., in the MS Explorer navigation pane. Also, when I click on the "Safely remove hardware" icon on the taskbar to remove the USB drive, it's always...
  8. backup to usb thumb drives?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup to usb thumb drives?: Is it possible to do backups to thumbdrives? If so, is it possible to do those backups with common backup apps such as macrim and/or AOMEI? If so what are the pros and cons? Windows 10 Pro 64 bit CPU: i7-4770k @350GHz Ram: 16GB Graphics: Radeon 580 8GB vram Winver 1903...
  9. Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive

Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive: I have a 2TB thumb drive that I have created two partitions on. partition one is 31.25 GB and formatted as FAT32. partition two is 1921.87 GB and I cannot get it to format. I've tried formatting it as NTFS and exFAT and neither works. The Disk Management app reports:...
  10. Is this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port?

Is this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port?: Hello; I found that a 32GB LEXAR USB 3.0 thrumb drive was not being fully recognized by my PC. When using File Manager and clicking on Removable disk (I:) under This PC, I am getting a prompt: Please insert a disk into Removeable Disk (I:). [The volume name used to be shown...