Windows 10: Identify File Explorer windows

Discus and support Identify File Explorer windows in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm not sure if the solution to my problem is with Microsoft, but any leads would be appreciated. I work on multiple projects during the day, jumping... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PatrickDaniell1, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Identify File Explorer windows

I'm not sure if the solution to my problem is with Microsoft, but any leads would be appreciated.

I work on multiple projects during the day, jumping from one to another and back again. I'm constantly accessing open File Explorer windows to find and save files. My problem is that I can't keep track of which window is associated with which project.

The name of the folder, that Windows 10 uses to identify the File Explorer window is inadequate. Most project subfolders have similar names drawings, sketches, documents, cost estimate, correspondence, submittals, etc., etc., etc., etc......... and that name is what shows up when I hover over, or right click on my File Explorer icon. When the number of open File Explorer windows approaches a dozen or so it's barely possible to identify the project since the names are all similar, and my efficiency goes to $#!+. I close all the windows and start again.

I have literally hundreds of projects. I don't want to make shortcuts. I would like to quickly identify an open window with a name, number, color, or whatever is available. Once the window is open, I need to be able to jump around in that project's subfolders without having the window name change. I wouldn't mind typing the window name when I open it, or picking a number, color, etc.

What makes matters worse is that our project folder structure seems to go on forever lots of clicks to get were I'm going.

What am I doing wrong? Is this a feature that is needed or should I be using File Explorer in a different way?

Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide about this. Regards,

Patrick

:)

PatrickDaniell1, Jul 29, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Identify File Explorer windows :p

Frick, Jul 29, 2020
  4. geno368 Win User

Identify File Explorer windows

Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

geno368, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Identify File Explorer windows

1. Identify File Explorer windows - Similar Threads - Identify File Explorer

2. How can I identify path too long in windows file explorer windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I identify path too long in windows file explorer windows 11?: To make back up on external drive without mistake, I want to identify first the paths which are too long on a drive w:. There is no more utility for this purpose in the microsoft store. The one I had purchased path too long does not work anymore....
  3. How can I identify path too long in windows file explorer windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I identify path too long in windows file explorer windows 11?: To make back up on external drive without mistake, I want to identify first the paths which are too long on a drive w:. There is no more utility for this purpose in the microsoft store. The one I had purchased path too long does not work anymore....
  4. Identify Password Protected files in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Identify Password Protected files in File Explorer: Hi, In Folder "Agreements", there are 50 pdf and excel files. All 50 files should be password protected. Because multiple people put files in this folder, I want to make sure that all files are indeed password protected. I am looking for a way to easily be able to see which...
  5. Identify Password Protected files in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Identify Password Protected files in File Explorer: Hi, In Folder "Agreements", there are 50 pdf and excel files. All 50 files should be password protected. Because multiple people put files in this folder, I want to make sure that all files are indeed password protected. I am looking for a way to easily be able to see which...
  6. Identify Password Protected files in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows Doesn't Identify files on CD

Windows Doesn't Identify files on CD: I recently came across several CD-RW discs that I previously burned. The discs have photo files, though I do not remember the file type, the software used to burn the files, or the operating system of the pc. When I place a disc in the DC player I can hear it spin up, but...
  8. File Explorer does not identify new shares folders on WD MyCloudEX2Ultra

File Explorer does not identify new shares folders on WD MyCloudEX2Ultra: I have created one new share i.e. folder on WD MyCloudEX2Ultra by using the related WD dashboard. The new folder is shown on the WD dashboard and have full access as admin. The WD is in the same network with PC. Older shares folders are being identified/viewed, whereas new...
  9. Unusual folder in Windows Explorer. Can't identify or delete.

in Windows 10 Support
    Unusual folder in Windows Explorer. Can't identify or delete.: I have a folder I can't identify or delete. Can anyone help me? Not causing a problem, just annoying! Tom. 164812
  10. Identifying Corrupt Files

Identifying Corrupt Files: Does anyone know how to search for corrupt files on an entire drive and save in a text file the paths and names of files which have been found to be corrupt? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/identifying-corrupt-files/0159401d-f26f-4147-9e65-c946c7d8ec78