Windows 10: Identifying an App?

Discus and support Identifying an App? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Greetings! Somewhere around since the RS2 Update I'm experiencing an unknown app to occasionally pop up but also immediately closing itself making... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Durahl, May 1, 2017.

1. Durahl Win User

Identifying an App?

Greetings!

Somewhere around since the RS2 Update I'm experiencing an unknown app to occasionally pop up but also immediately closing itself making it impossible with just with the eyes to identify what it is as it happens too fast.

From my impression it looks like the typical black Command Line Window but I'm not certain.

I mostly notice this when I watch YouTube or a Video in full screen as it will then kick me out of it which is kind of starting to get annoying.

What would be the best way to identifying this unknown app when/after it happened again?

Thanks in Advance =)

:)

Durahl, May 1, 2017
  2. Nick Dich Win User

System is identifying the hard drive as an SSD

Hi Theodore,

Your concern regarding your hard drive turning to SSD is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums. It is better suited for the IT Pro audience on TechNet.

To help you further, we are providing your with a link to the Microsoft TechNet support site. The thread might be in the Windows 10 Insider category, but it is still applicable to your situation. You can participate in any discussions in TechNet,
    or start your new thread if you want to be more specific. The link is provided here:
    Microsoft TechNet - SSD instead of HDD.

Let us know if there is any thing else we can do to help.

Nick Dich, May 1, 2017
  3. System is identifying the hard drive as an SSD

I have been unable to defragment my drive apparently because is has been labelled as an SSD unit within the system. This may have occurred after a MS Windows 10 update. How can I change it. Ted

TheodoreKoons Jr, May 1, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Identifying an App?

simrick, May 1, 2017
  5. Durahl Win User
    Mhh... Neither the Powershell Command:
    Get-BitsTransfer -AllUsers | select -ExpandProperty FileList | Select -ExpandProperty RemoteName

Nor the Bitsadmin Buster.exe mentioned in the thread gave me any immediate ( any ) results.

I'll keep investigating this issue using the other suggestions mentioned in the thread.
    If all else fails I'll probably reformat the PC just to be sure =)

Durahl, May 1, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    What were the results of the "Get-BitsTransfer -AllUsers..."?
    As Superfly said:
    Next step may be ADWCleaner to check for nasties.

simrick, May 1, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    I get such a window on different versions of Windows when downloading from YouTube, seems to be completion of segments downloading into memory before completing the full video.

Berton, May 1, 2017
  8. Identifying an App?

Bobby Phoenix, May 2, 2017
  9. Durahl Win User
    All right...

Focus didn't quite help either as when it triggered, which appears to happen every hour at XX:33, the only thing it displayed was:
    No foreground application | Wed May 03 18:33:27 2017

Knowing timed thing I also ran NVidia Shadow Record alongside it which managed to pick it up revealing:

Identifying an App? [​IMG]

officebackgroundtaskhandler.exe

Doing a little research I arrived at the Task Sheduler:
    OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration including a once every hour trigger.

For now I disabled it and will now see how if it affects anything.

Many thanks to anyone participating in this! =)

Durahl, May 2, 2017
  10. simrick Win User
    Sounds good! *Thumbs Cheers!

simrick, May 2, 2017
  11. I came across this same problem the past couple of days and noticed that it would happen every hour. This morning I finally fired up a screen recorder (Cyberlink) to see what the damn popup was. I was able to finally read the name and looking that up led me here. What is this background task supposed to do?

GatsbyGlen, May 7, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    No idea. Maybe checking Office account activation? Are you on Insider? They are having problems with it ATM.

simrick, May 7, 2017
  13. Identifying an App?

Looks like I am, First Release for Current Channel (Office Insider Slow). Maybe I should change that ...

GatsbyGlen, May 7, 2017
  14. simrick Win User
    Okay, that explains it. I can't remember where I saw the thread offhand, but I do know there are some issues with Office Insider.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Identifying an App?

1. Identifying an App? - Similar Threads - Identifying App

2. How do I identify the unidentified app that is keeping the system from restarting or from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I identify the unidentified app that is keeping the system from restarting or from...: The system does allow for override to restart or shutdown. The small icon show for the app is unreadable. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-identify-the-unidentified-app-that-is/1832cb5e-67dc-429f-ae2a-6b9c84188bc1
  3. How do I identify the unidentified app that is keeping the system from restarting or from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I identify the unidentified app that is keeping the system from restarting or from...: The system does allow for override to restart or shutdown. The small icon show for the app is unreadable. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-identify-the-unidentified-app-that-is/1832cb5e-67dc-429f-ae2a-6b9c84188bc1
  4. Identify app that is open and keeping Restart from working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Identify app that is open and keeping Restart from working.: How to find the app that is open and is keeping the system from restarting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/identify-app-that-is-open-and-keeping-restart-from/dfc94846-bec8-488f-b34d-93faeae41853
  5. Identify app that is open and keeping Restart from working.

Identify app that is open and keeping Restart from working.: How to find the app that is open and is keeping the system from restarting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/identify-app-that-is-open-and-keeping-restart-from/dfc94846-bec8-488f-b34d-93faeae41853
  6. How to identify the app that has issued a notification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to identify the app that has issued a notification: In my experience an app's notification consists only of issuing a sound. For example consider the analogy of a doorbell. It let's you know that someone is at the door. But you need to know WHO IS AT THE DOOR. Does Windows provide a peek at "who is at the door?"Thanks for your...
  7. How to identify the app that has issued a notification

How to identify the app that has issued a notification: In my experience an app's notification consists only of issuing a sound. For example consider the analogy of a doorbell. It let's you know that someone is at the door. But you need to know WHO IS AT THE DOOR. Does Windows provide a peek at "who is at the door?"Thanks for your...
  8. How to identify the app that has issued a notification

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Windows Defender full scan identified Potentially Unwanted App Found - But looks like MS...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender full scan identified Potentially Unwanted App Found - But looks like MS...: I performed a Windows Defender full scan. Potentially Unwanted App Found - there were 2. They both appear to be the same. ID is 6CED0DAA-4CDE-BA3A-AE163DC3D7AF When I look at the certificate is says issued by Microsoft Windows Production. Valid date 5/5/2022 through 5/4/2023....
  10. Windows Defender full scan identified Potentially Unwanted App Found - But looks like MS...

Windows Defender full scan identified Potentially Unwanted App Found - But looks like MS...: I performed a Windows Defender full scan. Potentially Unwanted App Found - there were 2. They both appear to be the same. ID is 6CED0DAA-4CDE-BA3A-AE163DC3D7AF When I look at the certificate is says issued by Microsoft Windows Production. Valid date 5/5/2022 through 5/4/2023....