Windows 10: Identifying Hard Boots

Discus and support Identifying Hard Boots in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Our users have somehow gotten the idea that it is okay for them to hard boot their machines whenever they think something is taking longer that it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by thomasm516, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Identifying Hard Boots

Our users have somehow gotten the idea that it is okay for them to hard boot their machines whenever they think something is taking longer that it should. As you might imagine, this has caused us a lot of headaches, including needing to build replacement machines because people hard boot when Windows is installing updates (Even though the screen shows that Windows updates are being installed and instructs the user not to power off the machine). We are doing the best we can to educate our users, and word is starting to get around that hard booting at every little hiccup is a bad idea. Nonetheless, we still have people who hard boot their machines.

I have been trying to find a way to identify for certain when a machine has been hard booted. Thus far, all I have come up with is errors in the event log which indicate that the previous shutdown was unexpected (For example, a 6008 error in the System log). However, those kinds of errors can have many causes, including power outages, overheating, blue screens, and hard booting. I realize that when power is suddenly lost to a machine, it is basically impossible to log that error, but a hard boot is a purposeful action, and I am hoping that maybe some smart engineer has figured out a way to build a detection mechanism in to the hardware (i.e. The power button has been depressed for 5 seconds) and log the event before the machine loses power.

Does anyone know if there is a way to positively identify when a hard boot occurs?

Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide.

--Tom

:)

thomasm516, Dec 20, 2018
  2. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Dec 20, 2018
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Identifying Hard Boots :p

cadaveca, Dec 20, 2018
  4. o_ryry Win User

Identifying Hard Boots

Can't boot Windows 10, UEFI bootloader GPT partitioned system drive. Tried bootrec (Total identified Windows installations: 0)

Hi, I am trying to help a friend repair her son's computer so I don't have a lot of context as to what happened prior to this issue, but I will try to be as comprehensive as I can in describing what steps I've taken so far.

Initial Observations

This is a Windows 10 PC, with a 2 TB disk. It is UEFI enabled and GPT partitioned. Computer boots up and immediately begins
    Preparing Automatic Repair. The computer reboots without going to the Choose an option menu and boot-loops through this sequence.

Method 1

• F11 to force boot options menu
    • Boot into local disk recovery partition
    • Launch cmd prompt in recovery environment
    • Commands issued:
      • bootrec /fixboot
        • The operation completed successfully.
      • bootrec /rebuildbcd
        • OUTPUT: Total identified Windows installations: 0

Method 2

• Created recovery drive on my own Windows 10 PC
    • Booted problem PC with the recovery drive
    • Attempted startup repair multiple times (no luck)
    • Attempted bootrec commands again (no luck)

Method 3

I attempted the solution suggested
    HERE
    . At step 5, I got this error:

Path not found - C:\boot

So I changed the operations for steps 5 & 6 to target the system recovery volume on the disk:

o_ryry, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

Identifying Hard Boots

1. Identifying Hard Boots - Similar Threads - Identifying Hard Boots

2. It is really hard to identify files to be copied back

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    It is really hard to identify files to be copied back: The onedrive presents the files as in the QuickAccess menu and some things are stored as links which then link to other links and then files. The files it had stored came from my D drive from a folder labelled personal - now renamed to save further issues. I finally had to...
  3. It is really hard to identify files to be copied back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It is really hard to identify files to be copied back: The onedrive presents the files as in the QuickAccess menu and some things are stored as links which then link to other links and then files. The files it had stored came from my D drive from a folder labelled personal - now renamed to save further issues. I finally had to...
  4. It is really hard to identify files to be copied back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to identify the current boot partiton

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to identify the current boot partiton: I occasionally get a PC to "freshen up" that has multiple System Reserved Partitions, generally having been upgraded from Win 7 to something newer. I know how to identify the current Recovery Partition using DISKPART => List Partition and REagentC /info from the DOS prompt....
  6. Paritioning and Identifying Hard-Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Paritioning and Identifying Hard-Drive: My new ASUS GL703GE Laptop has two hard-drive. C Drive is an SSD and D Drive is a spinning disc drive. I know that the D Drive is formatted because I made a test folder on it and put a text file in that folder. I erased both. What is the best easiest tool for partitioning...
  7. Identifying a hard drive failure.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Identifying a hard drive failure.: I have had a series of performance issues over the last four months. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running W10. It had stopped working and had to be restored using the Windows Media Creator. The issues continued afterwards and boot up began to be increasingly slow....
  8. How to identify the type and speed of the hard drive of a server?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to identify the type and speed of the hard drive of a server?: How to identify the type and speed of the hard drive of a server? I couldn’t figure out if there is a tool that can identify the type and speed of the hard drive of a server in terms of being SSD, SAS, SATA as well as the reading\writing speed. Thank you Best Jamal...
  9. How to identify the type and speed of the hard drive of a server?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to identify the type and speed of the hard drive of a server?: How to identify the type and speed of the hard drive of a server? I couldn’t figure out if there is a tool that can identify the type and speed of the hard drive of a server in terms of being SSD, SAS, SATA as well as the reading\writing speed. Thank you Best Jamal...
  10. Let's Play Identify the Boot Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Let's Play Identify the Boot Partition: For anyone who's read this thread this far, you should know that I was finally able to determine the boot partition that I was confused about. Looking at the Drive Management report display I recognized that two of the drives were labelled with EFI Partition and Recovery...