Windows 10: Identifying the appropriate thumb/icon cache file

Discus and support Identifying the appropriate thumb/icon cache file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Desktop shortcuts to folders that temporarily hold video files, keep parts of the video file thumbnails in their icons after the video files have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JosephPHILIPPA, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Identifying the appropriate thumb/icon cache file

Desktop shortcuts to folders that temporarily hold video files, keep parts of the video file thumbnails in their icons after the video files have been removed. One of the ways of correcting that, is to delete the contents of C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\, which seems a massively excessive procedure. I would prefer to delete just one relevant entry of the 30 odd ones in that folder - and so avoid depriving video files of their thumbnails. Trial and error [based on the cache date-stamp compared to the time a video was put into the folder has failed to reveal to me WHICH of those 30+ entries should be the target. Moreover that folder holds thumbcache and iconcache files; presumably only one needs deletion. Seeking enlightenment.

:)

JosephPHILIPPA, Apr 11, 2021
  2. zebal Win User

Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format

If you want to determine current file system of a thumb drive follow these steps:

Open command prompt or PowerShell as Administrator
    type following commands:
    Code:
    identify your thumb drive and replace number below with the actual thumb drive number:

Code:
    From listed partitions identify partition which contains your mp3 files then select it and show details:

Code:
    Here in this output take a look at "Type" number and post it here.

Next select volume that contains your mp3 files
    Code:
    Here you should be able to see file system type on that volume

zebal, Apr 11, 2021
  3. VinceB Win User
    Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format

Hi:

I have a ScanDisk 32-GB thumb drive that functions in my 2013 Honda Accord for playing MP3 files. I want to determine which type of file system, FAT or NTFS, is used for that particular flash thumb drive.

I also have other, new, 32GB ScanDisk thumb drives, which say that only 28 GB space is available; so I want to do one of the following to a new thumb drive, whichever is needed:

1. Remove the encryption files from the thumb drive to allow full 32 GB available storage space.
    2. Format the new 32GB drive with the proper file system, when prompted to select either NTFS or FAT in File Manager.

Thus, my desire to identify which type of file system is presently used on the thumb drive that plays MP3 in my car. Note: that thumb drive also has the (defaulted) ScanDisk's encryption files. If I am not mistaken, reformatting a thumb drive would remove any ScanDisk encryption files. But, I do not know which file system to use for MP3 files.

Thanks for reading this. TIA for suggestions/comments.

VinceB, Apr 11, 2021
  4. Identifying the appropriate thumb/icon cache file

Clear the 'cache' in file explorer for already used picture tags?

If you set some tags for your *.jpg pictures, the windows 10 file explorer shows them in the "details pane" on the right side.

Identifying the appropriate thumb/icon cache file [​IMG]

This list can get very long and with some wrong or no longer used entries.
    How can I clear this list / cache / suggestions?

Or how can I stop the file explorer to suggests already used Tags?

WTenNewbie, Apr 11, 2021
Thema:

Identifying the appropriate thumb/icon cache file

1. Identifying the appropriate thumb/icon cache file - Similar Threads - Identifying appropriate thumb

2. File status icons not updating - problem with cached files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File status icons not updating - problem with cached files?: Hello,I have a problem whereby the status icons for folders in File Explorer are not updating to reflect their actual status. e.g., instead of the blue-arrow-circle they should be the solid-green-checkmark. So there seems to be a disconnect between my local OneDrive files and...
  3. File status icons not updating - problem with cached files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File status icons not updating - problem with cached files?: Hello,I have a problem whereby the status icons for folders in File Explorer are not updating to reflect their actual status. e.g., instead of the blue-arrow-circle they should be the solid-green-checkmark. So there seems to be a disconnect between my local OneDrive files and...
  4. Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format: Hi: I have a ScanDisk 32-GB thumb drive that functions in my 2013 Honda Accord for playing MP3 files. I want to determine which type of file system, FAT or NTFS, is used for that particular flash thumb drive. I also have other, new, 32GB ScanDisk thumb drives, which say...
  5. Icons invisible on PC icon cache will not rebuild

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons invisible on PC icon cache will not rebuild: Hello, I have recently been experimenting with replacing the icons for the applications on my PC using a program called "Customizergod" and in this process seemed to have removed all the icons in my file explore, desktop, etc. I've tried many solutions such as rebuilding the...
  6. Swap a partition icon for an appropriate one

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Swap a partition icon for an appropriate one: A HDD with four partitions, shows in File Explorer THIS PC, with a CD icon for the 3rd partition. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons has no entries other than DEFAULT. I could find no other Registry key for DriveIcons....
  7. Files cached?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files cached?: I have written a fair number of .BAT files to do things on my computer. The .BAT file may create a file by redirecting the output of one command (such as DIR >>output.txt) and then tries to read that file, but the command to process the file gets an error "The process cannot...
  8. How to relocate thumb cache?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to relocate thumb cache?: How to relocate thumb cache? Or have two cache streams? (at diff locations)? I know that this/these are someway possible :) 124782
  9. Icon Caching Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon Caching Problem: Folks, I'm having an icon caching problem that I've not been able to solve. What precipitated this event was that I was trying to get Adobe Connect to work. From what I could tell Shockwave was having an argument with Windows 10. I've tried everything suggested on this...
  10. Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache?

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache?: So yesterday when I was looking around at my wallpapers from the explorer I noticed that some thumbnail previews for my pictures are green. [img] I had to cut around the personal pictures. It's not like every picture that's like this. I think these were the ones that I...