Windows 10: Identifying VMs in Hyper-V

Discus and support Identifying VMs in Hyper-V in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi does anybody know how to tell what Hyper-V VM is connected to which /vhdx file ? It is all a bit of a mess now. I am guessing the only valid ones... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, May 19, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Identifying VMs in Hyper-V

Hi does anybody know how to tell what Hyper-V VM is connected to which /vhdx file ?

It is all a bit of a mess now. I am guessing the only valid ones are the large datafiles?

cheers

Identifying VMs in Hyper-V [​IMG]

:)

cereberus, May 19, 2017
  2. RFT OB1 Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problem with Virtual Machine

We made the big mistake of configuring a WINDOWS-10 VM to allow for Remote Desktop Connections. We are unable to disassociate the VM from RDM. We can no longer access the VM!!! The following is the pertinenet
    information:

• Server is running Windows-10 Professional 64 with Hyper-V installed.
    • VM is Windows-10 Professional 64.
    • In VM allowed Remote Desktop Connections.
    • From server successfully connected to VM via RDM.
    • Closed RDM connection. Unable to access VM.
    • Turned off VM from Hyper-V Manager.
    • Attempted to restart VM, unable to connect via Hyper-V from message box the following is displayed:

Video Remoting was disconnected. The virtual maching is currently using the Remote X 3D video adapter. A user is currently connected via Remote Desktop Connect to the virtual machine by using Remote Desktop Connection.
    • Connected via Remote Desktop Connection. Attempted to turn off allowing Remote Desktop Connection. VM hung.
    • VM Wouldn't turn off via Hyper-V manager.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Unable to connect via console or RDM.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Deleted VM via Hyper-V Manager.
    • Restored VM system disk from backup prior to RDM usage.
    • Created new VM. the messages in itm 7 above are displayed.
    What can be done to recover? Why does Hyper-V retain a broken connection?

RFT OB1, May 19, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Hyper V

Hyper-V is either installed or not installed. It cannot be disabled.

After I was done experimenting with Hyper-V I deleted my VM and uninstalled Hyper-V. Poof, gone.

Hyper-V worked fine for me, but I still prefer VMWare. Hyper-V works best with Ethernet; it's trickier with WiFi.

BulldogXX, May 19, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

From powershell Code: get-vm | ft VMName, VMId[/quote]
    The VMid is the GUID (which is the same as the name of the VMCX, VMRS files).

5. Kari Win User
    A practical tip:

List virtual machines and their GUIDs, select and copy a GUID for a specific VM:

Paste it to notes for that VM:

Now when you select a VM, its GUID will be shown:

6. cereberus Win User
    Thanks @lx07, @Kari.

The Note tip is a great idea. I am also going to use activated idea on name.

Many thanks guys.

cereberus, May 20, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    I usually do not make any notes for discardable (not activated) virtual machines but for those activated which I repeatedly export and import I note OS build, product key used, Microsoft account linked to digital license, name of disk (if not same as VM name) or disks and GUID.

The info pane in Hyper-V Manager can't be resized and can only show four lines of note text:

Full note can only be seen in VM settings:

8. cereberus Win User

I have now deleted all my old vm detritus and updated notes - your ideas above are good as well - I will add some of that as well.

Thanks again.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Identifying VMs in Hyper-V - Similar Threads - Identifying VMs Hyper

2. Hyper-v VMs on a NAS - can it be done?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-v VMs on a NAS - can it be done?: Hello,Working on expanding my skills and challenging myself and not looking for any easy outs. I have a QNAP TS932-PX with 2 x 16TB Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives configured in RAID 0 I don't want to waste any space needlessly and have other alternatives for backup. I need to...
  3. Hyper-v VMs on a NAS - can it be done?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-v VMs on a NAS - can it be done?: Hello,Working on expanding my skills and challenging myself and not looking for any easy outs. I have a QNAP TS932-PX with 2 x 16TB Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives configured in RAID 0 I don't want to waste any space needlessly and have other alternatives for backup. I need to...
  4. Hyper-v VMs on a NAS - can it be done?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. VMs in Hyper V seem to go to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VMs in Hyper V seem to go to sleep: I have a bunch of VMs in Hyper V. They run applications in MS Access that check for network data every 3 minutes.Sometimes they run for a couple of days with no issues, sometimes they have issues several times in a day.Issue: The VMs seem to go to sleep, but if you connect to...
  6. VMs in Hyper V seem to go to sleep

VMs in Hyper V seem to go to sleep: I have a bunch of VMs in Hyper V. They run applications in MS Access that check for network data every 3 minutes.Sometimes they run for a couple of days with no issues, sometimes they have issues several times in a day.Issue: The VMs seem to go to sleep, but if you connect to...
  7. Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V: See image for errorVirtualisation is enabled in UEFI. WSL2 gives error 0x80370102. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-run-vms-on-hyper-v/f66a80ff-0862-46c6-884d-3ca09d196882
  8. Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V: See image for errorVirtualisation is enabled in UEFI. WSL2 gives error 0x80370102. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-run-vms-on-hyper-v/f66a80ff-0862-46c6-884d-3ca09d196882
  9. Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V

10. Hyper-V forgets my VMs

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V forgets my VMs: Ok on build 16288, but happened on earlier builds - when I reboot my laptop, Hyper-V keeps forgetting my VMs saying I have noinstalled. Only takes a couple of minutes to restore them but a PITA. I am going to try and unistall Hyper-V and reinstall to see if that fixes...
Tags: