Windows 10: Idiot's guide to creating a Win2GO Windows from KVM/QEMU VM (V2P)

Discus and support Idiot's guide to creating a Win2GO Windows from KVM/QEMU VM (V2P) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Easy now. Pre-reqs : 1) Bootable version of Macrium Free (use create stand alone recoverable media) on USB and Macrium Free installed in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 23, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Idiot's guide to creating a Win2GO Windows from KVM/QEMU VM (V2P)

Hi there Easy now. Pre-reqs : 1) Bootable version of Macrium Free (use create stand alone recoverable media) on USB and Macrium Free installed in the VM. (It's easier this way). 2) A copy of a running version of Windows\System32\DriverStore from a physical Windows system -- you can do without this but things like display etc won't be very nice --system will boot however. If you don't have this you could install temporarily a Windows system on a physical machine, copy the DriverStore to a spare device and use that later. The Driverstore from the VM is NOT sufficient !!!! You need one from a physical Windows system. 3) Your VM is booted from a SATA drive defined in the VM config file. Right -- here we go 1) run Macrium Free (from within the VM) to image the Windows system. You should be able to sore that on an ancilliary usb stick - depending on the size of your image. If you haven't got a big enough one then add a temorary virtual disk to your VM and save the image on that - then copy it to your HOST, and then from the HOST copy it to an external NTFS formatted SSD/ HDD. (You can avoid that step by using a "physical HDD" in the VM but that's more complex although the preferred option). 2 ) On the target machine have devices available for the Windows drivers store, the target Windows to Go system and the VM image created by Macrium. 3) Boot the stand alone Macrium recovery. 4) restore image to target SSD 5) re-boot into the stand alone recovery (Macrium) 6) from the menu select "Fix Windows Boot Problems" 7) choose your Windows installation and boot from that disk. 8) after that finishes remove all devices except the "target Windows SSD" and the Macrium stand alone recovery. 9) attempt to boot from the Windows SSD --if it fails run the stand alone recovery again. 10) in the very rare case it fails (because you've also got an hard Disk with windows in your system you can boot the macrium recovery from your Linux Host and with the external SSD also connected do the same thing - Macrium won't get confused as to what to boot from or which windows to use. 11) Once you've booted the SSD just use the device manager to update all the hardware with problems against it such as "Unknown device". Choose the Driverstore file to load the drivers from. Also change Windows partition size if required. I've done this loads of times - my VM is on a Linux Host with an AMD processor, the target machine I boot from is an INTEL i5 laptop with Intel display etc - different hardware totally. If you are booting on similar hardware to your taget system updating drivers will be easier !!! Have fun Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 23, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    Easy now.

Pre-reqs :
    1) Bootable version of Macrium Free (use create stand alone recoverable media) on USB and Macrium Free installed in the VM. (It's easier this way).

2) A copy of a running version of Windows\System32\DriverStore from a physical Windows system -- you can do without this but things like display etc won't be very nice --system will boot however. If you don't have this you could install temporarily a Windows system on a physical machine, copy the DriverStore to a spare device and use that later. The Driverstore from the VM is NOT sufficient !!!! You need one from a physical Windows system.

3) Your VM is booted from a SATA drive defined in the VM config file.

Right -- here we go

1) run Macrium Free (from within the VM) to image the Windows system. You should be able to sore that on an ancilliary usb stick - depending on the size of your image. If you haven't got a big enough one then add a temorary virtual disk to your VM and save the image on that - then copy it to your HOST, and then from the HOST copy it to an external NTFS formatted SSD/ HDD. (You can avoid that step by using a "physical HDD" in the VM but that's more complex although the preferred option).

2 ) On the target machine have devices available for the Windows drivers store, the target Windows to Go system and the VM image created by Macrium.

3) Boot the stand alone Macrium recovery.

4) restore image to target SSD

5) re-boot into the stand alone recovery (Macrium)

6) from the menu select "Fix Windows Boot Problems"

7) choose your Windows installation and boot from that disk.

8) after that finishes remove all devices except the "target Windows SSD" and the Macrium stand alone recovery.

9) attempt to boot from the Windows SSD --if it fails run the stand alone recovery again.

10) in the very rare case it fails (because you've also got an hard Disk with windows in your system you can boot the macrium recovery from your Linux Host and with the external SSD also connected do the same thing - Macrium won't get confused as to what to boot from or which windows to use.

11) Once you've booted the SSD just use the device manager to update all the hardware with problems against it such as "Unknown device". Choose the Driverstore file to load the drivers from. Also change Windows partition size if required.

I've done this loads of times - my VM is on a Linux Host with an AMD processor, the target machine I boot from is an INTEL i5 laptop with Intel display etc - different hardware totally. If you are booting on similar hardware to your taget system updating drivers will be easier !!!

@Hopachi
    Even get SKY GO on it !!!

Idiot's guide to creating a Win2GO Windows from KVM/QEMU VM (V2P) [​IMG]

Have fun

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 23, 2021
  3. W1zzard Win User
    qemu-kvm

i'm missing some kind of free gui based management thing for qemu-kvm that lets me do common VM tasks

W1zzard, May 23, 2021
  4. Idiot's guide to creating a Win2GO Windows from KVM/QEMU VM (V2P)

qemu-kvm

virt-manager is the gui that can be used to do exactly this.

from the open source project:QEMU is a generic and open source machine emulator and virtualizer.

When used as a machine emulator, QEMU can run OSes and programs made for one machine (e.g. an ARM board) on a different machine (e.g. your own PC). By using dynamic translation, it achieves very good performance.

When used as a virtualizer, QEMU achieves near native performances by executing the guest code directly on the host CPU. QEMU supports virtualization when executing under the Xen hypervisor or using the KVM kernel module in Linux. When using KVM, QEMU can virtualize x86, server and embedded PowerPC, and S390 guests.

Easy Rhino, May 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Idiot's guide to creating a Win2GO Windows from KVM/QEMU VM (V2P) - Similar Threads - Idiot's guide creating

2. MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2: I'm virtualizing a FreeBsd 13.0-2 machine on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS GNU/Linux 5.15.90.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2 x86_64 under WSL2 the base operating system is Win 11. I use virt-manager and everything runs fine until I try to upload a Window Manager, the mouse doesn't work in any...
  3. MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2: I'm virtualizing a FreeBsd 13.0-2 machine on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS GNU/Linux 5.15.90.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2 x86_64 under WSL2 the base operating system is Win 11. I use virt-manager and everything runs fine until I try to upload a Window Manager, the mouse doesn't work in any...
  4. Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM: Hi there If you have a spare external (or even internal) HDD / SSD that you want to use as a "Physical" Disk drive say on a Windows VM using native ntfs for exampleso you can unplug it later and connect to a Windows physical machine etc to copy data etc then it's easy enough...
  5. capture WIM image of KVM W10 VM for convert to physical (V2P)

capture WIM image of KVM W10 VM for convert to physical (V2P): Hi folks @Hopachi one for you as well to try out !!! I've got a great running W10 KVM virtual machine running with all the software working etc -- so I would like to capture the WIM image via DISM. Also I'd like all the software etc on a Windows ISO so I don't have to...
  6. Windows activation in KVM/qemu virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation in KVM/qemu virtual machine: Hello, I have a problem with the activation of Win10 Pro. I have a digital license win7 upgrade in 2015 or something like that... I reinstalled my virtual machine with some new tweaks etc. the problem is now that I cannot activate Windows anymore with my Microsoft account...
  7. KVM/QEMU users - creating a Network Bridge

KVM/QEMU users - creating a Network Bridge: Hi folks Those of you running a Linux host and wanting to run Windows VM's using KVM/QEMU then provided you've got a wired connection you should make a network bridge otherwise your VM will only be able to use NAT with connection limitations. so ensure net-tools and...
  8. W10 VM Bridged networking QEMU/KVM (External Switch)

W10 VM Bridged networking QEMU/KVM (External Switch): Hi folks Really SIMPLE way of getting Bridged networking to work in QEMU KVM for proper VM access to rest of your LAN -- equivalent to external switch in HYPER-V Note you need to do this after re-boot from host each time --you can set a script etc for permanence but as I...
  9. Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge

Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge: Hi folks For those running Windows VM's on Linux Hosts and want to try the Linux Hypervisor (VMWare and VBOX will run concurrently so you don't even need to power off any running Windows VM's) with decent networking you need to set up a network Bridge (roughly analogous to...
  10. KVM example -- W8.1 VM being created

KVM example -- W8.1 VM being created: Hi there I wish I'd done this earlier -- really flexible and much better performance than vmware or even Esxi. (note - when setting up storage pool / volumes for the VM - select RAW rather than the default qcows / qemu. It probably won't make a noticeable difference if...