Windows 10: Idle laptop does not 'sleep' -- instead of entering a lower power state, laptop seems to...

Discus and support Idle laptop does not 'sleep' -- instead of entering a lower power state, laptop seems to... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Some INFO: Processes while turning on the laptop are normal. Processes while shutting down the laptop are normal. Laptop functions normally while user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AStudent_123, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Idle laptop does not 'sleep' -- instead of entering a lower power state, laptop seems to...

Some INFO:

Processes while turning on the laptop are normal.
    Processes while shutting down the laptop are normal.
    Laptop functions normally while user (me) is active.
    Drivers are up-to-date (as far as I know... if anyone has recommendations on how to check this, please let me know)

Laptop is an ASUS F556U (discontinued version, [similar to F556UA] one-time deal: core i7 processor, 6500, 2.5GHz, 8 Gb Ram)

Problem:

I step away from my computer for 5 minutes, and it begins the "idle" processes. Display turns off.
    Just as this happens, (after the monitor has gone dark), I can hear the fan turning on and off, on and off -- constantly, for as long as I leave it idle.
    It seems as though the laptop is constantly restarting; booting up, and logging off, booting up, logging off... it keeps happening user activity resumes

I either have to shut-down my laptop, or stop it from going idle -- otherwise, it continues to log off and on, constantly.

Why is this happening? Is it a hardware malfunction? Maybe an over-looked setting, or an out-of-date driver?

:)

AStudent_123, Mar 19, 2019

2. Laptop powers off when entering into Sleep

Product Name: HP Probook 430 G1
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

When entering into Sleep mode, roughly 50% of the times the laptop fails to do so and instead powers off (without shutting down).

I think I found the pattern to which the laptop is able to successfully sleep or not. If the laptop has been powered on for a "short" period, it is able to sleep, whereas if it has been powered for a "long" period it
    isn't able to sleep and powers off.

All drivers on http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readInde are up to date.

Any clues on what may be going on? Can I check any logs or something? The strangest thing is that this behaviour doesn’t occur always.

Thanks

MegaSharkMicrosoft, Mar 19, 2019
  3. Laptop does not enter sleep mode

Hi,

My laptop is fully updated and running on windows 10. Recently my laptop does not enter sleep mode after the set time it is supposed to enter sleep mode, also the laptop starts up automatically when in sleep mode with the lid closed.

Do any of you have any idea what the cause might be and how to fix this problem?

I ran a power efficiency diagnostics report with the following errors:

Platform Power Management CapabilitiesIdle laptop does not 'sleep' -- instead of entering a lower power state, laptop seems to... :pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend

System Availability Requests:System Required Request

Are any of these errors preventing my laptop from entering sleep mode?

Thanks in advanced for your help and advice.

Chris

Christophpher, Mar 19, 2019
  4. Idle laptop does not 'sleep' -- instead of entering a lower power state, laptop seems to...

Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever]

The situation:

• When shutting down, the laptop proceeds as normal until the screen turns off.
    • After the screen turns off, it takes a while for the battery LED to go off.
    • After that the power led remains on and it looks like the laptop is stuck in this state forever.
    • When I try to get my laptop to sleep, something similar happens; the power led remains on, the battery led turns off and the laptop appears to be stuck in this state.
    My laptop is: Asus FX553VD.

What I've tried:

• I have tried to troubleshoot power management and power options.
    • Tried clean boot.
    • Updated the BIOS.
    • Reinstalled windows and tried shutdown and sleep (without installing the drivers and stuff), however that didn't work either.

Additional Info:

• I have multiple operating systems installed in my laptop, however this problem persists on windows only (the OSes are installed on different drives).
    • The disk usage is abnormally high.
    • There are spikes in CPU usage that kick up the fan really fast while idle.

Please suggest other ideas as to what I should do?

[It appears that the only option I have left is to reinstall everything]

10gic-80m8, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

Idle laptop does not 'sleep' -- instead of entering a lower power state, laptop seems to...

1. Idle laptop does not 'sleep' -- instead of entering a lower power state, laptop seems to... - Similar Threads - Idle laptop does

2. Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle: Hello,I'm asking a question because I tried all the methods I found here.I'm trying to fix a problem on an Asus k551ln that shuts down instead of going to sleep when let idle. I tried a lot of methods running troubleshooting, reinstalling fully clean windows, powercfg...
  3. Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle: Hello,I'm asking a question because I tried all the methods I found here.I'm trying to fix a problem on an Asus k551ln that shuts down instead of going to sleep when let idle. I tried a lot of methods running troubleshooting, reinstalling fully clean windows, powercfg...
  4. Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Laptop restarts instead of sleep after being idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarts instead of sleep after being idle: I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my Acer One 14 Z1-471 laptop. After a week or so it stopped going to sleep after being idle, instead it restarts every time. I'm sceptic of a thing that I updated drivers from a 3rd party app but I don't know if it's the cause or not. It...
  6. Laptop restarts instead of sleep after being idle

Laptop restarts instead of sleep after being idle: I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my Acer One 14 Z1-471 laptop. After a week or so it stopped going to sleep after being idle, instead it restarts every time. I'm sceptic of a thing that I updated drivers from a 3rd party app but I don't know if it's the cause or not. It...
  7. Laptop restarts instead of sleep after being idle

8. Entering Away Mode instead of Sleep as a result of system idle?

Entering Away Mode instead of Sleep as a result of system idle?: Hi all,I'm trying to configure my living room PC so that it would function as a WiFi hotspot continuously. I was unable to keep my WiFi, VPN and Mobile Hotspot on while in Sleep S3 mode, but I noticed that while in Away Mode my computer functions just as I expected - it keeps...
  9. Entering Away Mode instead of Sleep as a result of system idle?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Entering Away Mode instead of Sleep as a result of system idle?: Hi all,I'm trying to configure my living room PC so that it would function as a WiFi hotspot continuously. I was unable to keep my WiFi, VPN and Mobile Hotspot on while in Sleep S3 mode, but I noticed that while in Away Mode my computer functions just as I expected - it keeps...
  10. Entering Away Mode instead of Sleep as a result of system idle?