Windows 10: idle power consumption higher with SATA hot plug enabled

Discus and support idle power consumption higher with SATA hot plug enabled in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The idle power consumption of my ASUS B560 board increases from 9W to 16W as soon as I enable SATA hot plug for one port in BIOS. Unfortunately I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by zamzon, May 27, 2021.

1. zamzon Win User

idle power consumption higher with SATA hot plug enabled

The idle power consumption of my ASUS B560 board increases from 9W to 16W as soon as I enable SATA hot plug for one port in BIOS. Unfortunately I would need this feature for several internal SATA devices (HDD swap racks, backup disks, etc.) Any ideas to reduce idle consumption when SATA hot plug is enabled ORmount devices manually without that BIOS option? (devcon rescan is not sufficient) Regards Thomas

:)

zamzon, May 27, 2021
  2. ardo---01 Win User

N9 average idle consumption

26 mA avg. Idle consumption "warning". Suggestions on what to do about it, please ?

ardo---01, May 27, 2021
  3. Ryuu---01 Win User
    N9 average idle consumption

Hi guys! My N9 looks little bit confused. After long time i downloaded Battery Usage app again to see what my consumption looks like. First day in Idle consumption was about 5mA when i didn't use N9 and after listening to music it was about 18mA. I think,
    that's ok. But than, i tried how much will Power Saving Mode improve the N9's battery life. I turned it on 13h ago (in the evening, so i didn't use N9 all the time) and now it shows me, that Avg Idle consumption is 24mA!

So i just turned on even flight mode and I will let you know how it behaves.

But, don't you know why is Idle cons. higher with psm? PLEASE help me with this! Thanks!

Ryuu---01, May 27, 2021
  4. Erika Aro Win User

High Idle power consumption

Hi,

A laptop in idle still drains the battery. It can be one of the lists below are the reasons why your discharging faster.

• The power plan is on High-Performance. It consumes more energy because it maximizes the computer's usage. Toggle it as Balanced by going to Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options.
    • Too many background applications running. We can check this by going to Windows Settings > System > Battery saver > Battery usage by app. You can set adjust the settings of your battery there as well. Also, please follow the tips on the window on how you
      can manage your battery.
    • You use the second graphics card as your display to an external monitor.
    • Using sleep mode instead of hibernate mode. Hibernate mode is advisable to use when stepping away from the device for very long.

In addition to this, you can run the automatic troubleshooter to
    find and fix problems with your computer's power settings to conserve power and extend battery life

Feel free to post back if you need further help.

Erika Aro, May 27, 2021
Thema:

1. idle power consumption higher with SATA hot plug enabled - Similar Threads - idle power consumption

2. Windows 11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2: 23H2 use More CPU Power at system idle.PS: If your system very clean, Idle L3 ClocksRyzen can >500MHz. but U can be noticed 23H2 prevent L3 Clocks low than 1000MHz.L3/Highest Core Clock synchronization = Real CPU Clock at idle...
  3. Windows 11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2: 23H2 use More CPU Power at system idle.PS: If your system very clean, Idle L3 ClocksRyzen can >500MHz. but U can be noticed 23H2 prevent L3 Clocks low than 1000MHz.L3/Highest Core Clock synchronization = Real CPU Clock at idle...
  4. Win11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2: 23H2 use More CPU Power at system idle. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win11-23h2-idle-power-consumption-higher-than-22h2/115b4fb9-7d58-4640-b0e3-27ccf0d02bb7
  5. Win11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2: 23H2 use More CPU Power at system idle. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win11-23h2-idle-power-consumption-higher-than-22h2/115b4fb9-7d58-4640-b0e3-27ccf0d02bb7
  6. Can you "hot plug" a SATA cable SSD? Or do you need to power down?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can you "hot plug" a SATA cable SSD? Or do you need to power down?: Does Win10 support hot plugging of extra SSD SATA drives? Or do you need to power down first? Can I disconnect a SATA drive while Win10 is running? submitted by /u/CortexExport [link] [comments]...
  7. Too high system power consumption at idle.

Too high system power consumption at idle.: Hi! My system consumes way too much power at Idle. I have a power meter on the socket and it shows ~115-130W at idle. The system is pretty complex, so higher consumption is expected, but it's way to much for Idle. The GPU Power at Idle ~17W (RTX3070, no fans, it's water...
  8. Laptop hot when idle and plugged in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop hot when idle and plugged in: So I'm having this problem with my laptop Eluktronics Mech-15 G2R I use my laptop plugged in 99% of the time, so it's not a battery charging overheating thing. When I unplug the laptop, the temperature drops to 45C which keeps the fans inactive. However, when I plug it in...
  9. Higher Power Consumption when not logged into via RDP?

Higher Power Consumption when not logged into via RDP?: [ATTACH] Hey Guys I'm running a small home "server" PC constisting of a AMD 3400G, B450 Tomahawk and 16GB RAM. At softwareside it's running Windows 10 1903, Newest AMD driver and it's balanced Power Plan. The PC is running headless, if I need to check something I login...
  10. Higher RAM consumption

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Higher RAM consumption: mr.rifas ahamed: I am using ASUS Pro P2540UV configured with Corei5, 8GB, 1TB HDD and Nvidia 920MX for last 2 months. Windows 10 Pro had been installed with this. After working for a while with various application, amount of RAM consumption does not reduce to initial level...