Windows 10: IE 11 does not open

Discus and support IE 11 does not open in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Thanks Cliff, this was pretty much a last resort as i worked through many of the solutions for this kind of issue with no resolve, just knowing it... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by rees, Dec 8, 2015.

1. jds63 Win User

IE 11 does not open

Thanks Cliff, this was pretty much a last resort as i worked through many of the solutions for this kind of issue with no resolve, just knowing it seems something else on system is causing this since it worked in Windows safe mode. Has this inplace upgrade been updated with new build or it does not matter, it will download through updates ?

jds63, Dec 14, 2015
  2. Cliff S New Member

For an inplace upgrade one should get the latest ISO version of Windows 10 as each version is actually a new OS.

Cliff S, Dec 15, 2015
  3. brummyfan Win User
    Hi rees,
    You could try using IE "Run as Admin", right click IE icon, again right click IE, Properties, Advanced and tick box "Run as Admin", this may prompt UAC warning whenever you start IE but you can disable in User Accounts settings.

IE 11 does not open [​IMG]

EDIT: This is only a workaround and not a solution *Smile

brummyfan, Dec 15, 2015
  4. rees Win User

IE 11 does not open

I tried following these instructions but was unable to do so. If you can provide more detail I would like to try this idea.

5. rees Win User
    I am interested in trying this. I do not have an 8gb usb drive but do have a 250gb ext harddrive that attaches via firewire. would this be a suitable substitute?

6. Cliff S New Member
    You could also just get the ISO and place it on desktop or in documents(which I do) for future use.
    then just double click it to mount it in File Explore, and the rest is the same:

You only need to burn it if you want to boot to it, to clean install later.

Cliff S, Dec 15, 2015
  7. brummyfan Win User
    Hi rees,
    Please follow Cliff S's instructions, I would suggest you to try one at a time.

brummyfan, Dec 15, 2015
  8. rees Win User

IE 11 does not open

ok, yes. thanks for the suggestion

9. jds63 Win User
    Thanks guys, rees also had a Factory Recovery partition he was concerned about loosing, but felt it may not work anymore and recovery discs were never made for previous OS.

jds63, Dec 15, 2015
  10. rees Win User
    Hi Cliff,

I just completed the procedure below doing a reinstall with USB drive and MCT. After completing the 3+ process. I am still unable to open IE explorer.

11. jds63 Win User
    Rees with this procedure you did you select to keep all settings and also all software that was on the PC before and it remained on it ?
    If so, since this is still happening again proves something else on the system was causing this issue to happen, software, software driver. Reasons i felt this still may not help you find out the culprit. Clean install may not either, but can if you would put software and drivers back on one at a time then may find which one, testing IE 11 after each.

Try safe mode again and see.

jds63, Dec 18, 2015
  12. rees Win User
    " with this procedure you did you select to keep all settings and also all software that was on the PC before and it remained on it ?" yes

I will try safe mode. In the mean time, I have been trying to find that check box for internet explorer, the one that turns it on and off. I thought it was in internet settings. I cant seem to be able to find it???

I certainly dont look forward to the clean install but maybe that is the only way to find this conflict..

13. rees Win User

IE 11 does not open

ie explorer still works in safe mode

14. jds63 Win User
    Go to control panel select Programs and Features you will find it there, Turn Windows Features on and off.
    This was the reasons i first stated as a last resort a clean install, but what you recently did was an inplace upgrade i believe, retaining all settings and software. Pretty much knew since it worked in safe mode it was not caused by corruption, as we even did SFC system file checker and Dism. By putting back all the same software and drivers brings you back to were you started from, mean was worth a try but had this feeling knowing what we already saw. This way i feel would have fixed it if it was due to corruption SFC could not fix, but again would not open in safe mode either i felt.

Now can not tell you what is causing it though this part we never figured because had to eliminate non- microsoft processes one by one and then try working with software and hardware drivers. Hard i know, most will try the clean install then as another last resort and do what i said in my last post put back stuff one by one.

jds63, Dec 18, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    You can turn off all startup software in task manager AND hit the windows key and type "system config" and call up system configuration and choose the services tab, click "Hide all Microsoft services", and turn all 3rd party services(except video & sound) reboot, check IE and then activate each services one by one rebooting each time.

I know this can be a looooong and boooooring troubleshoot, sorry. Best to start with what you think might be the problem child.

Cliff S, Dec 18, 2015
Thema:

IE 11 does not open

1. IE 11 does not open - Similar Threads - does open

2. Does anyone know how to fix this problem, so everytime i open roblox only on opera gx it...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Does anyone know how to fix this problem, so everytime i open roblox only on opera gx it...: Its only inverted colors on opera gx, when I open roblox on google its not inverted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-anyone-know-how-to-fix-this-problem-so/639dc5ba-764c-4936-b0bb-9a1aaeade63b
  3. Does anyone know how to fix this problem, so everytime i open roblox only on opera gx it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does anyone know how to fix this problem, so everytime i open roblox only on opera gx it...: Its only inverted colors on opera gx, when I open roblox on google its not inverted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-anyone-know-how-to-fix-this-problem-so/639dc5ba-764c-4936-b0bb-9a1aaeade63b
  4. Does anyone know how to fix this problem, so everytime i open roblox only on opera gx it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I scan and save in PDF and when open. Windows always does optimize to open and it messes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I scan and save in PDF and when open. Windows always does optimize to open and it messes...: I scan and save in PDF and when open. Windows always does optimize to open and it messes the layout of words on pages. How do I open exactly what I scanned...
  6. I scan and save in PDF and when open. Windows always does optimize to open and it messes...

I scan and save in PDF and when open. Windows always does optimize to open and it messes...: I scan and save in PDF and when open. Windows always does optimize to open and it messes the layout of words on pages. How do I open exactly what I scanned...
  7. Double click does not open documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double click does not open documents: I have Version 22H2OSBuild 19045.4170 when I double click my documents no longer open up. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-does-not-open-documents/890ff505-0c0a-4811-a25b-4ada9432051d
  8. Double click does not open documents

Double click does not open documents: I have Version 22H2OSBuild 19045.4170 when I double click my documents no longer open up. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-does-not-open-documents/890ff505-0c0a-4811-a25b-4ada9432051d
  9. Double click does not open documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. What does Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a...

What does Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a...: What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a 'dark' setting when previous set at 'Light'.This has been happening for the past 14 months since receiveing a new HP Elitebook Spec: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42...