Windows 10: IE 12 UI overhaul is a blend of Chrome and Firefox

Discus and support IE 12 UI overhaul is a blend of Chrome and Firefox in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I have used IE exclusively since IE9, usually having either Firefox or (since the overhaul) Opera as a secondary for those times when IE's TPLs cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by z3r010, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Gornot Win User

IE 12 UI overhaul is a blend of Chrome and Firefox

I have used IE exclusively since IE9, usually having either Firefox or (since the overhaul) Opera as a secondary for those times when IE's TPLs cannot block the most annoying ads and popups.

And this overhaul is much more exciting for me than the announced extension support. Sure, if we get a proper Ad Block extension, Last Pass and some YouTube tweaking ones, that'll be awesome; but I've lived without them just fine for years so I won't expect much.

The UI really does need to be cleaned up. A lot of the stuff is hidden by default but once you place them back the browser looks pretty horrible. I certainly hope a lot will change, and the sooner the better!

Though I still have to wonder what will happen with ModernIE in Threshold. Having two versions of IE, both running in a window with different UIs and capabilities will be confusing for many.

Gornot, Sep 12, 2014
  2. unifex Win User

First time I saw those "modern" apps, they were full screen. I don't want anything to be full screen as I am not on a tablet (nor any of those weird tiny laptops that they are selling these days). Since then I did not have any reason to look at them. Is there anything that they do better than the desktop programs?

unifex, Sep 13, 2014
  3. Mystere Win User
    That's not really the right way to look at it.

First, the issue is whether the app even exists in a desktop version. If you want to use an app, and it's only in a Modern app, then you don't have any choice (other than not use it). Obviously, you don't use those apps, so you probably haven't even looked to see what apps are available.

A lot of it really does have to do with how good the app is, regardless of whether it's a desktop or modern app.

For instance, I really like the modern version of Minesweeper over the desktop version of old. I also like the modern Mahjong as well (and there are some really interesting third party ones). As with Android, games have really come into their own in Modern land.

It is true that if an app exists in a desktop and Modern version, the Modern version is probably less functional.. however, this is likely more of a function of the fact that these apps are less mature than their desktop counterparts. Also, the WinRT API's are not as mature as the Win32 ones, and some apps just are not easy or even possible to write at a parity to their desktop versions. That will change over time as the WinRT api's mature.

The real advantage (and some may call it a disadvantage), is having a single place to go to get apps, be they Free or Paid... No searching through dozens of shareware sites, finding old versions that don't work, etc...

I still use desktop apps for the most part, but I have a collection of modern apps I also use. Sometimes because I like the limited functionality, or even the "immersive" nature... I have a particular writing app that I like because it blocks out everything and lets me focus on writing.

Mystere, Sep 13, 2014
  4. IE 12 UI overhaul is a blend of Chrome and Firefox

If I want FF or Chrome, I will use them instead of IE. I wish M$ would quit trying to copy other companies' stuff; they fail miserably at it.

Lady Fitzgerald, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

IE 12 UI overhaul is a blend of Chrome and Firefox

1. IE 12 UI overhaul is a blend of Chrome and Firefox - Similar Threads - overhaul blend Chrome

2. IE and Chrome issue

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    IE and Chrome issue: Hi Team, Am unable to get sign in info Username and Password for SSO to open oracle form in Internet explorer and Chrome where the same is working in Mozilla Firefox. Brief Description: when we click on Oracle URL in IE and Chrome, we are directly getting authentication...
  3. Downloading chrome or firefox

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downloading chrome or firefox: My new laptops won't download chrome or firefox. I think Microsoft is doing this on purpose because I see threads going back at least 2 years with same problem and it hasn't been addressed. I now can't even get the "offline" programs. Any help with this? Should I just...
  4. Firefox Vs IE

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Vs IE: Hi, I'm not very good with technology. I've always used IE as my browser, I prefer IE especially IE menu bar, File, edit, view, etc, etc, I'm comfortable with IE menu bar it makes it easier for me. Although I tried Chrome, I just can't get used to it I'm wondering what...
  5. Outlook for Windows is getting a major UI overhaul in latest update

in Windows 10 News
    Outlook for Windows is getting a major UI overhaul in latest update: Today, Microsoft is pushing out a major update for Outlook on both Windows and Web. The company had earlier announced a major UI overhaul for its Outlook app and today it’s rolling out to the public. As part of this update, Microsoft is adding a simplified ribbon across...
  6. Cannot attach files in OWA using IE, Firefox or Chrome

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot attach files in OWA using IE, Firefox or Chrome: I am on Windows 10 and unable to attach files using Exchange Web Mail. When I click attachment option, nothing happens. I tried in Edge, IE, FireFox and Chrome and all have same behavior. I am on latest SilverLight version. Please let me know if this issue is still pending....
  7. Firefox "blocked by administrator; Edge, Chrome, Opera, IE not blocked

in Windows 10 Customization
    Firefox "blocked by administrator; Edge, Chrome, Opera, IE not blocked: I run W10 (upgrade from 8.0) on a Lenovo G700 laptop. This morning, I reinstalled Firefox, but I get a "blocked by administrator" message. Chrome, Opera, Edge and IE all work normally. I can bring Firefox up with "Run as Administrator," but that won't work when I click on a...
  8. merge bookmarks firefox IE 10

in Browsers and Email
    merge bookmarks firefox IE 10: Hello I install yesterday xmark for IE and I merge bookmarks from both browsers :firefox-explorer.can I restore originalbookmarks of explorer?also I work to a second pc with win 10.some how appears and in IE 11 some bookmarks that I try to delete but after restart appears...
  9. Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and IE all fail to connect to any website

in Browsers and Email
    Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and IE all fail to connect to any website: A friend with a Lenovo i7 P50 Thinkpad with Win 10 factory installed. Creators Update installed via Windows Update a few weeks ago. Called me last week reporting that he could no longer view web pages using Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or IE. I checked event viewer and saw one of...
  10. Chrome instead IE

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome instead IE: Hi all, I have several links created with Internet Explorer. (links are Website and not Url) I now work with chrom. My question is how to ensure that these links are embarking with chrom and not internet explorer Thank you 18770