Windows 10: IE and Edge ignore PAC (proxy auto config) file

Discus and support IE and Edge ignore PAC (proxy auto config) file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; IE and Edge are ignoring PAC script file. The file is on a webserver using HTTPS. If changing the URL to HTTP it works fine. Is there any known issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Eduardo Marques PT, Jun 19, 2019.

1. IE and Edge ignore PAC (proxy auto config) file

IE and Edge are ignoring PAC script file. The file is on a webserver using HTTPS. If changing the URL to HTTP it works fine. Is there any known issue with Windows? I started seeing this behavior with Windows 10 Build 1903 but I'm not sure if it wasn't present on previous builds.

Again, using https://someserver/script.pac does NOT work. Using http://someserver/script.pac works.

Note: This could potentially be an issue with WinHTTP, as other browsers work perfectly, like Firefox or Chrome. I'm not sure but I think they use WinINet.

:)

Eduardo Marques PT, Jun 19, 2019
  2. zhouyh13 Win User

Proxy auto-config file on server works in Chrome but doesn`t work in IE11

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Currently Microsoft Edge don`t work as well, only Chrome can recognize my library proxy.

Also I have tried library proxy for another university, and it is a "proxy.pac" file rather than my university`s "proxy.pac.js" file. This time IE11, Microsoft Edge and Chrome all work perfectly. It seems true that Chrome can accept both .js and .pac file,
    but IE11 and Edge only accept .pac file.

zhouyh13, Jun 19, 2019
  3. zhouyh13 Win User
    Proxy auto-config file on server works in Chrome but doesn`t work in IE11

Hi all,

I am trying to access the academic resources provided by my university`s library using IE11 on my windows 10 machine (Build 10586). The library offers a auto-config script on the server and tells us to use "automatic configuration script" in "LAN Settings"
    of Internet Options. However after I enter the network address for the script, IE connect to the internet just like direct connection, the university`s login page does not show up when I load websites like ScienceDirect, Springerlink, etc.

I also have Chrome installed, and it is using my computer's system proxy settings to connect to the network (so IE11 and Chrome share the same proxy settings here). And Chrome works perfectly. When I load academic websites my university`s login page shows
    and after login I can download articles with no problem.

Therefore I think I have config the settings correctly, and IE itself might have a problem.

Also I have look into the internet address of the auto-config script, and find it`s name is a little bit strange. The file name is "proxy.pac.js" rather than "proxy.pac". Is it possible that Chrome accepts both .pac and .js file but IE11 only accepts .pac
    file?

Tkanks.

zhouyh13, Jun 19, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

IE and Edge ignore PAC (proxy auto config) file

Auto complete not working in Edge browser

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you clear the Clear browsing data option
    of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

• Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Edge.
    • Select Settings and click on
      Choose what to clear.
    • Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files
      and click on Clear.

Method 2:

If you are using any Proxy connection, then try disabling the proxy connection and check.

Follow the steps to disable proxy:

• Click the Settings icon at the top right corner in internet explorer.
    • Click the Tools button, and then click
      Internet Options.
    • Click the Connections tab, and then click
      LAN settings.
    • Uncheck the box next to "proxy server for your LAN".
    • Click on OK to save the setting and close window.
    Refer the link below for reference

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/edge-privacy-faq

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

IE and Edge ignore PAC (proxy auto config) file

1. IE and Edge ignore PAC (proxy auto config) file - Similar Threads - Edge ignore PAC

2. WSL and Zscaler localhost proxy pac

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL and Zscaler localhost proxy pac: Hello everyone I am trying to figure out how to get the WSL to work with the windows proxy settings? We are using a pac file, and I can not figure out how to configure the wsl to use it. We use the zscaler service. If you are not familiar it is a local proxyservice. it runs a...
  3. WSL and Zscaler localhost proxy pac

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL and Zscaler localhost proxy pac: Hello everyone I am trying to figure out how to get the WSL to work with the windows proxy settings? We are using a pac file, and I can not figure out how to configure the wsl to use it. We use the zscaler service. If you are not familiar it is a local proxyservice. it runs a...
  4. Pac/Wpad file not ready correctly by Edge/IE or Chrome

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pac/Wpad file not ready correctly by Edge/IE or Chrome: Hi All, We have a WPAD.dat file that has been used and works fine internally on all of our local network. But on VPN, it doesn't work correctly. We have enabled split tunneling on the firewall and when I connect to the VPN, I obtain the address on the 10.201.50.x range....
  5. PAC file not working

PAC file not working: I have the following PAC file: function FindProxyForURLurl, host {// use proxy for specific domainsif shExpMatchurl, "*.google.com" shExpMatchhost, "*.google.com" return "PROXY 37.221.114.33:2255";// by default use no proxyreturn "DIRECT";} and I have apache2.4...
  6. server 2016 RDP Proxy PAC/Proxy settings will n ot apply

server 2016 RDP Proxy PAC/Proxy settings will n ot apply: We have 22 Thin Client servers with domain FL @ 2016. All 22 servers are running 2016 Standard. DC's are Server 2016 Standard. We are also all Windows 10. Patched and running fine. We are migrating to a new web filter that requires us to Use automatic configuration script....
  7. IE not edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE not edge: how do I get internet explorer so I don't need to use edge. every time I get it it goes disappears I am new to windows10 don 't know where anything is very frustraiting 117429
  8. IE not edge

in Windows 10 Support
    IE not edge: how do I get internet explorer so I don't need to use edge. every time I get it it goes disappears I am new to windows10 don 't know where anything is very frustraiting 117429
  9. How to Auto save credentials in IE,Edge Browser?

in Browsers and Email
    How to Auto save credentials in IE,Edge Browser?: Hello everyone, i want to auto save credentials during sign in instead of doing manually. is there any way please guide me? [img] Thanks. 79550
  10. IE or Edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE or Edge: which is better to use Edge or IE sorry i'm a bit confused are they the same but different or are they just different why did MS keep both 20303

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1809 and pac file

2. turning off pac file for public internet

3. troubleshooting pac file on edge

4. proxy pac file not working on ie11,
  5. edge not accept pac proxy fiiles,
  6. PAC configuration script not working on windows 10 1809,
  7. cant access internet on server 2019 using proxy pac file,
  8. pac file not working in IE 11 1809,
  9. proxy pac not installing https 1903,
  10. proxy pac file not working in 1809,
  11. Disable Internet Proxy / PAC file using Edge,