Windows 10: IE doesn't work, all other browsers do

Discus and support IE doesn't work, all other browsers do in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have a client that brought me his "self upgraded" computer. Symptom: IE doesn't work, can't download chrome. I start off by resetting IE... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by cyberjoe, Oct 13, 2015.

1. cyberjoe Win User

IE doesn't work, all other browsers do

I have a client that brought me his "self upgraded" computer.

Symptom: IE doesn't work, can't download chrome.

I start off by resetting IE settings to defaults which typically solves a lot of IE problems. Didn't here. I then uninstalled IE through the add/remove components in 10, didn't help. I did notice with IE uninstalled that magically Edge allowed me to download chrome, which I couldn't when IE was installed, even through Edge. Chrome seems to use some app downloader which must use "IE settings" and since IE was installed it wouldn't download. So I downloaded chrome when IE was uninstalled and Chrome now works fine even after reinstalling IE. There is no proxy, no host file changes, no nothing. IE simply says it can't open any and all pages I go to. Edge pops right up! Network troubleshooter finds nothing wrong, no static IPs or other info is supplied. I'm baffled.

IE still does not work. All other browsers do. I ran several batch files I keep on a thumb drive to reset winsock and other things that I've used in extreme cases. I have scanned the PC with several tools and removed a few common small pup style things. Nothing fancy.

The user uses this PC for Quickbooks and Quickbooks requires IE. IE doesn't work so Quickbooks doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated!!!

:)

cyberjoe, Oct 13, 2015

2. Windows 10 - task switcher not picking up pop ups within a program

Unfortunately the supplier of the software do not support other browsers - so although the system works, it doesn't work as well in other browsers as it does in IE........ painful I know!

CherylDods, Oct 13, 2015
  3. JasonTil Win User
    Microsoft Edge browser not connecting to the Internet, though Chrome and IE do, in Windows 10 Pro

I've attempted to launch Edge, but when I do, it doesn't go anywhere, unlike Chrome or IE. In other posts, I see that it's recommended to make Edge the default browser and to clear the cache. I've done the later, but I don't want to do the former as it doesn't
    work. Why make something that hasn't worked my default?

So far, I'm really not impressed with Edge at all and it's sad that Microsoft's newest effort to "take on web browsers" is not even connecting though IE 11 does.

JasonTil, Oct 13, 2015
  4. IE doesn't work, all other browsers do

Have you tried it with CROME.
    I don't use QuickBooks and have disabled and uninstalled IE11, as Edge Browser a lot better does what I want it to and opens the pages I want fast.

hTconeM9user, Oct 13, 2015
  5. When I updated to W10 it automatically shut IE off and replaced it with EDGE. I was not aware of it till I tried to use the Update to IE button under the three dot hub on EDGE

I went to settings then defaults and clicked reset defaults. The defaults were EDGE OPERA FIREFOX CHROME. BUT NO IE.
    This screwed me up for a while until I went to control panel--programs-- and found turn windows on/off. I turned on IE11 and then returned to the hub on Edge and pressed the update to IE and it works fine.

I think W10 has some strange sequence problems/ Good Luck

enigma1944, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

IE doesn't work, all other browsers do

1. IE doesn't work, all other browsers do - Similar Threads - doesn't browsers

2. My windows 11 doesn't let me use more than 0 mbps if i'm not in browsers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows 11 doesn't let me use more than 0 mbps if i'm not in browsers: I just moved to china and i need to access things in my countrynormally games, so i use a VPN but whatever i do, the VPN only register 0, 0.0 or 0.1 mbps being used, however, when i open my browser it start going up like, 5 mbps or more, i can't open anything else, everything...
  3. My windows 11 doesn't let me use more than 0 mbps if i'm not in browsers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 11 doesn't let me use more than 0 mbps if i'm not in browsers: I just moved to china and i need to access things in my countrynormally games, so i use a VPN but whatever i do, the VPN only register 0, 0.0 or 0.1 mbps being used, however, when i open my browser it start going up like, 5 mbps or more, i can't open anything else, everything...
  4. Browser doesn't open when a hyperlink is opened from inside app Therefore OpenWith.exe fault

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Browser doesn't open when a hyperlink is opened from inside app Therefore OpenWith.exe fault: Hello, I am having an issue with a user, using the Therefore application. As part of using this application, certain functions open up within a web browser to use/complete. Therefore is supposed to use whatever your default browser is set as, and open in that. However,...
  5. Browser doesn't open when a hyperlink is opened from inside app Therefore OpenWith.exe fault

Browser doesn't open when a hyperlink is opened from inside app Therefore OpenWith.exe fault: Hello, I am having an issue with a user, using the Therefore application. As part of using this application, certain functions open up within a web browser to use/complete. Therefore is supposed to use whatever your default browser is set as, and open in that. However,...
  6. Win11, why yahoo email text return ENTER FUNCTION doesn't work under Edge browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11, why yahoo email text return ENTER FUNCTION doesn't work under Edge browser: under Win11, why yahoo email text return...the ENTER key doesn't work under Edge browser, but works for Chrome? how can I get it to work under Edge?...
  7. Win11, why yahoo email text return ENTER FUNCTION doesn't work under Edge browser

Win11, why yahoo email text return ENTER FUNCTION doesn't work under Edge browser: under Win11, why yahoo email text return...the ENTER key doesn't work under Edge browser, but works for Chrome? how can I get it to work under Edge?...
  8. Windows 11 Mail doesn't connect to browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Mail doesn't connect to browser: I had to have my W11 laptop rebuilt. Now, Mail doesn't link to my default browser Firefox. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-mail-doesnt-connect-to-browser/2e4e24be-69ac-44ce-b03b-a6f218d403a1
  9. Windows 11 Mail doesn't connect to browser

Windows 11 Mail doesn't connect to browser: I had to have my W11 laptop rebuilt. Now, Mail doesn't link to my default browser Firefox. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-mail-doesnt-connect-to-browser/2e4e24be-69ac-44ce-b03b-a6f218d403a1
  10. Why doesn't Edge provide this dialog's button as default button when the browser launches?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't Edge provide this dialog's button as default button when the browser launches?: When Edge restores from a crash I am getting this message. Just wondering if Edge could make the Restore button as default button so that just pressing space bar or enter key it could auto restore...