Windows 10: IE on CU cannot run .exes directly anymore?!

Discus and support IE on CU cannot run .exes directly anymore?! in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; This is honestly one of the main reasons I use IE... so I can run installers without having to save, open, and delete when done. (Yes, I know the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by drfsupercenter, Apr 28, 2017.

1. IE on CU cannot run .exes directly anymore?!

This is honestly one of the main reasons I use IE... so I can run installers without having to save, open, and delete when done.

(Yes, I know the Run option really just sticks them in a TEMP folder, but emphasis on TEMP, it'll get deleted on its own!)

So with the Creator's Update, I noticed some prompt about how the file won't be downloaded in protected mode. When I clicked OK, it didn't actually show up?

I went into Internet Options and turned OFF Protected Mode and rebooted. But still, if I click Run to any EXEs, the download finishes and...absolutely nothing happens. I can't even save and click open from that screen - I have to do "open folder" and run it in Explorer from THERE!

WTF is up with this? Can I fix somehow? I get security is a concern, but jeez, why even offer a run option if it won't @#$%ing work?

(Though, I downloaded Remote Server Admin Tools, which is a .msu file, the Run option on THAT worked)... and I can Open ZIP files, it seems to have just blocked .exe.

:)

drfsupercenter, Apr 28, 2017

2. Update KB3206632 stuck!

Hi Taffy, Yes, I'm aware my version of W10 is out-of-date, but it's because all my Cumulative Updates have been failing since that date. I also believe that each CU replaces the previous one because a CU overwrites the whole OS. This view is supported
    by the fact that when I mark a CU as hidden (using wushowhide.diagcab), when a new one comes out (and fails), the old hidden one disappears. I'm not sure why IE is relevant: is it because you are using it to download, or is it's mere presence in an "old"
    version a possible cause? I'm using Firefox to download and none of my (manual)
    downloads has ever given an error. If the mere presence, there may be a problem: IE is integral to W10, so cannot be removed. That raises the possibility that the reason your IE (and mine) is out-of-date is because the updates were part of the CU! If
    anyone thinks I'm wrong on any of this, please say (confirmation would also be nice).

alex cleric of Dax, Apr 28, 2017
  3. BenOoi Win User
    Running Multimedia Display Application in IE11

Good day,

I have old training videos from Noble Publishing that opens using IE 6 and above. However, I cannot seem to run it using IE11. The extension is .exe but the description is Multimedia Display Application. The error says that I need to upgrade my IE, but I
    am already on IE11. Could someone help?

Thank you.

BenOoi, Apr 28, 2017
Thema:

IE on CU cannot run .exes directly anymore?!

1. IE on CU cannot run .exes directly anymore?! - Similar Threads - cannot run exes

2. cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator: From exe file property ===> check: Run this program as an administrator open cmd: run as adminitrator type cd ==> enter C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads\Programs\Apps\Viber Setup ==> Enter ===> 'C:\Users\MYNAME' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable...
  3. cannot run an exe file in CMD asministrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot run an exe file in CMD asministrator: From exe file property ===> check: Run this program as an administrator open cmd: run as adminitrator type cd ==> enter C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads\Programs\Apps\Viber Setup ==> Enter ===> 'C:\Users\MYNAME' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable...
  4. I cannot open .exe files anymore?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cannot open .exe files anymore?: Hi, I wanted to install an .exe file today, but after a few minutes nothing happened. Then I googled it and found Microsoft support. I copied everything step by step. Now I can't open anything anymore, e.g. Google, games, even Regedit, where I changed everything. Here is...
  5. Cannot run any exe files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot run any exe files: Today I found that I cannot run any exe files, including cmd, regedit, task manager, chrome, whatever (but I can open chrome by html document, or similarly adobe reader by pdf). I installed a 7zip yesterday, don't know if that caused the problem but anyway I cannot uninstall...
  6. Cannot run .exe files, cmd (admin)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot run .exe files, cmd (admin): Hi! I tried to install a program to recover some lost pictures from an android phone. Later on some error popped up basically saying I couldn’t install the program. I’ve since then deleted the installer exe file. For some reason nothing was working so i force shutdown my...
  7. Cannot Run An .Exe file

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Run An .Exe file: I've got maybe two problems: . I put the .exe file folder in the system path but still get a 'file not found' error when it is called from another prog. and that should have been foolproof because I used the 'browse' thing. So that's maybe a problem with the path thing. ....
  8. CU: cannot increase the system font anymore!

in Windows 10 Customization
    CU: cannot increase the system font anymore!: Hello, just updated... I have a full hd and a small screen. My dpi is 150%. The font was size 11 before the update to CU. Now I CANNOT increase the system font anymore ("Icon font" was the option). I will use some tweak but I don't understand how MS think that...
  9. IE not working correct anymore

in Browsers and Email
    IE not working correct anymore: hi guys, in Win8, later Win10, when closing the screen i was asked if i wanted to close all screens or just one. Most of the time i could not use the back key. But now when i close the screen (not having the possibility to go back), IE is fully closed and i have to...
  10. Java not running on IE

in Browsers and Email
    Java not running on IE: I am running windows 10 and Internet Explorer 11. I am running Java 8. When I go to this page (https://data.bls.gov/pdq/querytool.jsp?survey=en) that requires Java It gives me this error below. Any suggestions? When I go to this page [img] 91521