Windows 10: IE or Edge

Discus and support IE or Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; which is better to use Edge or IE sorry i'm a bit confused are they the same but different or are they just different why did MS keep both 20303 Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by njnitehawk, Aug 30, 2015.

1. IE or Edge

which is better to use Edge or IE
    sorry i'm a bit confused are they the same but different
    or are they just different why did MS keep both

:)

njnitehawk, Aug 30, 2015

2. Edge or IE

Jetta48,

I appreciated your reply. When I realized I could not right click on the back arrow, I switched back to IE. Missing a feature like that reminds me of how many times I use that right click button. It's an automatic thing for me, but surprising how many pc
    users don't know it's there.

"Lack of add-ons may help with security"

I thought it was a pretty serious thing when Dept. of Homeland Security releases a statement to businesses and home users to avoid using Java. Still, I've always considered IE to be safer than Chrome or other browsers.

I also enjoyed that an update to the flash player came in with Windows Update. Too much software is installed, browsers and tool bars and such, when you don't want them.

Thanks.

Brenda

Brenda Woollard, Aug 30, 2015
  3. Jetta48 Win User
    Edge or IE

Hi

Both IE11 and Edge are built-in to Windows 10.

Here are the basic differences:

• Edge cannot use add-ons (except the built-in Flash Player) so it will not work with sites that need Silverlight, Java, etc. You also won't be able to install 3rd party toolbars.
    • Edge only has a favorites bar built-in - there is no Menu bar, Command bar, or Status bar.
    • Organising favorites in Edge is a pain at the moment.
    • Edge is, in my experience, quicker than IE11.
    • Edge is, in my experience so far, more stable than IE has been for me in the past. This may be at least in part due to the lack of add-ons which can be incompatible, corrupted, etc.
    • Edge currently has fewer options and settings compared to IE11.
    • Lack of add-ons may help with security. See also:
      http://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/05/11/microsoft-edge-building-a-safer-browser/
    • Edge will be regularly updated so the days of upgrading from a major IE version to the next will hopefully not be such an issue - see:

http://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/09/21/understanding-versions-in-an-evergreen-browser/

If you use Edge, you can select the 3 dots ... near the top right corner then
    Open with Internet Explorer if you find a site won't work with it.

Personally, I think that Edge needs more polish particularly with regard to organising favorites and opening tab before I'll use it as my main browser. It does look very promising to me though. The choice is yours.

Jetta48, Aug 30, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

IE or Edge

IE is just about the same as it was in 8.1 and on the other had Edge is brand new and rough around the edges.. *Wink I use Edge for this forum and FF for everything else. In time I think Edge will become a very good browser. But, for now I would use IE over Edge if that's the ones your choosing between.

BunnyJ, Aug 30, 2015
  5. Kesto Win User
    They're gonna remove IE soon as Edge will be the new MS browser they kept it there because Edge isn't exactly ready for people to be using yet that's why people still use Chrome/Firefox.

Kesto, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

IE or Edge

1. IE or Edge - Similar Threads - Edge

2. How can I find out what TLS protocols Edge browser is defaulting to?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find out what TLS protocols Edge browser is defaulting to?: My wife goes to "https://silversneakers.com" and my router blocks with Threat Prevention and says "ET POLICY TLSv1.0 Used in Session". This is on her Surface Pro 9 tablet running latest Windows 11 version and Edge version. How can I tell Edge or Windows or Local Policy or...
  3. How can I find out what TLS protocols Edge browser is defaulting to?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I find out what TLS protocols Edge browser is defaulting to?: My wife goes to "https://silversneakers.com" and my router blocks with Threat Prevention and says "ET POLICY TLSv1.0 Used in Session". This is on her Surface Pro 9 tablet running latest Windows 11 version and Edge version. How can I tell Edge or Windows or Local Policy or...
  4. how to execute a custom script based on a specific windows notification or edge...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to execute a custom script based on a specific windows notification or edge...: I am looking for a way to run a custom script which is located on my local drive when I receive a specific notification based on notification title? or from an edge notification from a specific url?I am using omnichannel on the CRM dynamics platform to receive phone calls in...
  5. how to execute a custom script based on a specific windows notification or edge...

how to execute a custom script based on a specific windows notification or edge...: I am looking for a way to run a custom script which is located on my local drive when I receive a specific notification based on notification title? or from an edge notification from a specific url?I am using omnichannel on the CRM dynamics platform to receive phone calls in...
  6. how to execute a custom script based on a specific windows notification or edge...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. when clicking a link in outlook, edge advises the user is not granted permission to sign in

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    when clicking a link in outlook, edge advises the user is not granted permission to sign in: Exactly as it says on the tin! When clicking on any link in Outlook, Edge tries to sign in but advises "The user is not granted permission to sign in" > However when the GPO Setting/Registry setting to sign browser in is enabled, it makes no difference. Edge is the latest...
  8. when clicking a link in outlook, edge advises the user is not granted permission to sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when clicking a link in outlook, edge advises the user is not granted permission to sign in: Exactly as it says on the tin! When clicking on any link in Outlook, Edge tries to sign in but advises "The user is not granted permission to sign in" > However when the GPO Setting/Registry setting to sign browser in is enabled, it makes no difference. Edge is the latest...
  9. when clicking a link in outlook, edge advises the user is not granted permission to sign in

10. Is there a way to prevent links in email taking me to Microsoft Edge?

Is there a way to prevent links in email taking me to Microsoft Edge?: I want all email & web links to take me to my default browser -- whether that be Chrome or Firefox. Sound familiar smile?Found a lot of suggestions with Google.But have yet to find the magic bullet i.e., solution short of uninstalling Microsoft Edge....