Windows 10: IE refuses to import favorites file from any location

Discus and support IE refuses to import favorites file from any location in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Edges has them all so why aren't they in IE any more? And why is there no 'export' in Edge? And why does IE refuse to import ? Gee, do you think maybe... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by atomheart411, Aug 21, 2015.

1. IE refuses to import favorites file from any location

Edges has them all so why aren't they in IE any more? And why is there no 'export' in Edge? And why does IE refuse to import ? Gee, do you think maybe they really don't want us to use IE any more?

:)

atomheart411, Aug 21, 2015

2. Favorites not displaying in Edge

Recently my favorites quit showing in Edge on my desktop machine. I went to

%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites

I deleted them from this location and copied them from my laptop back to this location. still no good. Any help appreciated.

Fixed it myself

Kind of roundabout way but here's what worked.

Deleted favorites in IE.

Imported Favorites from Firefox to IE.

Then imported Favorites from IE to Edge.

ChuckCourtney, Aug 21, 2015
  3. Trouble importing old pc favorites into Edge on new pc

I never had any strange favorites.

Try importing them into IE and then import from IE using Edge.

In IE: File | Import & Export | Export To A File and export the favorites to the Desktop and from there, copy to CD or flash. Copy these to the Desktop on the other machine and import them into IE.

In Edge click on the three lines at the top right and then Favorite Settings and import them from IE. Now you should have your favorites in both browsers.

Bruce Hagen, Aug 21, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

IE refuses to import favorites file from any location

Brink, Aug 21, 2015
  5. Yeah, did that. It just flat does not work. In fact what I'm realizing is that the favorites doesn't work at all in IE. I can't add any new favorites at all. The whole function is broken.

atomheart411, Aug 23, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Double check in your C:\Users\(user-name)\Links folder.

Do these show in Favorites in Internet Explorer?

Brink, Aug 23, 2015
  7. I have no favorites in IE and I can't add any either. But my favorites are in that user folder but as a "Favorites" folder, there is no "Links" folder. But I just now added one and put a copy of the Favorites folder inside. That didn't help. When I go to Edge and try the step of " import from another browser' I get "can't import favorites". which doesn't surprise me since there really aren't any favorites in IE to import. When I try to import into IE I can point to any number of copies I have made of the Favorites folder in various places but then IE asks "pick a destination for this folder" I get a blank bubble that doesn't respond to any clicks or typing.

atomheart411, Aug 23, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Just to clarify, you are wanting to import your favorites from Microsoft Edge to Internet Explorer, correct?

If so, are you copying the files from OPTION ONE (from Microsoft Edge) to your Links folder?

If you don't have a Links folder, then use OPTION TWO below to restore it.

User Folders - Restore Default Location - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. IE refuses to import favorites file from any location - Similar Threads - refuses import favorites

2. Favorites location.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Favorites location.: Since the latest update to Windows 10 7/10/2020 my favorites bar has moved from the right side to the middle of the screen and I don't like the way its formatted. Specifically it is the favorites imported from when I updated from Windows 7. Any tips to get it back the way I...
  3. Import favorites

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Import favorites: Windows wipe out my favorites some very important on April 15 I put my computer on and window change everything lost all my flies and word doc I did manage to retrieve my files and pictures I call Microsoft and was on hold over 1 hr and 15 mins. I hung up I need help...
  4. import favorites from another browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    import favorites from another browser: How do I import favorites from another browser? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/import-favorites-from-another-browser/6d2cfefb-691b-4e2a-8899-8b7873e0b8fb
  5. Location of Favorites

Location of Favorites: Windows 10 where is the location of favourites list? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/location-of-favorites/0923518b-15cf-42b5-a45b-08e089a3c1cb"
  6. importing Favorites

importing Favorites: I imported ‘Favorites’ from IE to Edge but they are not displaying. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/importing-favorites/d9960ff0-6ff1-4f92-bd07-26a6c066e796
  7. Organize imported favorites?

in Browsers and Email
    Organize imported favorites?: I've imported "Favorites" from Internet Explorer 11 to Edge sometime ago, and now whenever I clean install W10, Edge "remembers" my Favorites. Great! Love that. Problem is there doesn't seem to be any organization to them and in a lot of instances I've got double folders...
  8. Importing and Merging favorites?

in Browsers and Email
    Importing and Merging favorites?: Little over 6 weeks ago now, I knew I was heading towards a crash and that I would be reinstalling Windows 8.1 then re-upgrading to Windows 10. To be safe, I saved my favorites in IE 11 to a usb stick. Now, I'd like to import them back into the Edge, without loosing new...
  9. Import favorites in Edge from Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Import favorites in Edge from Chrome: Hi, I am admin om my computer with Windows 10. My wife is second user. We both have accounts on Google and use chrome. I am logged in and open Edge to import favorites from Chrome. I get my wifes chrome favorites from her google account, and not my own??? This happens...
  10. IE favorites

in Browsers and Email
    IE favorites: In build 10130, I have been deleting unwanted favourites, they end up in the recycle bin and are then deleted. Next time I switch on the pc, the unwanted favourites have reappeared. What am I doing wrong? 7414