Windows 10: IE task does not end completely and I have to use task manager to end

Discus and support IE task does not end completely and I have to use task manager to end in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; When I use Internet Explorer 11 on my Win10 x64 computer (with latest updates) after a few days (or internet sessions) I find IE is unresponsive (no... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by CountryBumkin, May 24, 2017.

1. IE task does not end completely and I have to use task manager to end

When I use Internet Explorer 11 on my Win10 x64 computer (with latest updates) after a few days (or internet sessions) I find IE is unresponsive (no new webpages will open) then I go to Task Manager and I see about 10 or 12 instances of "Internet Explorer" running with an equal number of "Internet Explorer (32 bit)" running. I then select one IE and click on "end task". I do this 10 or 12 times until all instances are gone. Then I can restart IE again and it runs fine, for a while but continues to load up on IE. I have to go into Task Manager every couple of days and clear out the IE tasks, depending on how much I use IE.

What can I do to figure out what is causing IE to not end/close fully?

Thanks

:)

CountryBumkin, May 24, 2017
  2. kjl1956 Win User

Windows 10 Task Manager "End Task" does not end task.

Using win10 pro (not so pro) logging off of the pc can force close all running programs, win my show program x still running and option to cancel or continue but either one selected will still log off.

Also setting steam to not download when in game helps, especially if the games are installed on the OS drive and or the same drive the current game is being played on.

I have posted in the forums here and through the feedback hub about steam and win10 issues.

Most of the time it is background microsoft apps-store or updates deciding it is time to run said prossess when the pc is on full throttle.

When I look at the event viewer logs I see program crashing at the same time the os is doing app-store updates even though the store and OS apps are set to not check or download automaticly.

This is more likely a scheduled task set by task scheduler that overwrites other settings set by group policies admin templates.

When I launch the store on all 4 of the pc's I can see for a brief few seconds the apps are queued and starting to download but stop.

The other issue is that the pc can be on for hours and the background prossess do not trigger but as soon as the system is under full load it decides it is the right time.

Turning off automatic maintenance, windows updates and antivirus updates can also help.

On the two desktops that I play just cause 2 and 3, I use evga's precision ocx to control the gpu fan as well as system monitoring software; cpuid's hardware monitor, core temp and speccy.

What I find by using these programs is that when either steam or steam games crash it is not due to anything related to hardware exceeding system or component temp but software issues.

kjl1956, May 24, 2017
  3. GlennCXF Win User
    Windows 10 Task Manager "End Task" does not end task.

I'm having issues with Apps not starting up properly - say for example Steam (THIS IS NOT THE ONLY APPLICATION THAT DOES THIS). Running Steam after it stops responding, I'm left with a Steam task still running, taking up 0.1MB of memory and 0% CPU. This
    of course, prevents me from starting a new Steam instance.

The solution should be to go and kill the process. But since WIndows 10 taskmanager so helpfully omits this command, I must rely on End Task. Of course, End Task does not end the task when I ask it to. End Task doesn't do anything at all. I'm instead left
    with a zombie task that refuses to die. The only solution then becomes restarting the entire computer because a single application is misbehaving.

On a side note, when this happens with say, accessing a hard drive - attempting to restart the computer causes Windows to be stuck on the blue screen saying "Restarting" for an inordinate (30+ minutes) amount of time. Manually restarting the computer during
    this will cause the hard drive to be inaccessible.

GlennCXF, May 24, 2017
  4. IE task does not end completely and I have to use task manager to end

There could be a lot reasons, it could be caused by an updater, security software or something else.

I would start by cleaning IE's cache and generally Windows, you can try CCleaner.

Until you figure it out, you can use this to kill all IE process at once.

TairikuOkami, May 25, 2017
  5. Landi Win User
    Could it be the problem with one of your add on? Try to unchecked all third party browser extension.

Landi, May 25, 2017
  6. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll disable some of the add-ons from starting with Windows and see if that helps.

CountryBumkin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

IE task does not end completely and I have to use task manager to end

1. IE task does not end completely and I have to use task manager to end - Similar Threads - task does end

2. Ended file explorer in task manager..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ended file explorer in task manager..: Howdy! So, recently my computer was being slow and didn't think much of it so I went to task manager and saw there where a million things running with file explorer being one of the big ones. So without thinking about it I right clicked it and ended it.. Well, once I did this...
  3. Ended file explorer in task manager..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ended file explorer in task manager..: Howdy! So, recently my computer was being slow and didn't think much of it so I went to task manager and saw there where a million things running with file explorer being one of the big ones. So without thinking about it I right clicked it and ended it.. Well, once I did this...
  4. task manager end process

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    task manager end process: I want to end antimalware service executable it has windows defender when i say end task it says access is denied and it can't happen. how do i gain access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-manager-end-process/81d90273-6cff-47b6-8aaa-5c3dfc5a0dba
  5. End Tasks in Task manager Windows 10

End Tasks in Task manager Windows 10: Why in windows 10 can in not end any task / process using task manager that I would like. For example the Xbox bar. When I try to end the task it tells me that I cannot end the process. In previous versions of windows if I wanted to end a task I could. Now all of the...
  6. What happens if you end Task Manager's task with Task Manager?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What happens if you end Task Manager's task with Task Manager?: Hello, I'm just kinda curious at what would happen if you end the Task Manager with Task Manager... Would it go into an infinite loop cycle similar to the "what if you deleted the recycle bin" theory of a black hole in your computer? Would it crash the program? Not...
  7. Why does Close not end the task?

Why does Close not end the task?: I've been using Microsoft products since DOS 2.10, so I understand the technical reasons, but I don't understand the design choice. If I have a program that is misbehaving/hanging etc and I right click on the icon on the Taskbar and click "close". Why does it not believe...
  8. End Task Problem. Task Manager.

End Task Problem. Task Manager.: My dad was press the "end task" button and the all of the function (like speakers, search button etc) and opening documents doesn't work anymore. I tried to search some information about these problem but I don't understand very well what I have to do. Please help me to...
  9. ending task??

in Windows 10 Support
    ending task??: trying to end a task in the task manager and it keeps jumping around how do I stop it so I can find the task I want to end!! 119891
  10. Not able to use Task Manager to end frozen programs.

in Windows 10 Support
    Not able to use Task Manager to end frozen programs.: Hello and thanks for any help you can provide. This problem has persisted since upgrading to windows 10. I play games with steam. If a game gets frozen or hung up I would normally use task master to end the program. Now when I bring up task master I cannot see it. It...