Windows 10: If external drive does NOT show in Disk Management...is it done?

Discus and support If external drive does NOT show in Disk Management...is it done? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an 2TB WD My Ultra Passport external drive which has always worked fine but today I plugged it in and it took long for the drive icon to show up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by orlando1974, May 20, 2020.

1. If external drive does NOT show in Disk Management...is it done?

I have an 2TB WD My Ultra Passport external drive which has always worked fine but today I plugged it in and it took long for the drive icon to show up in Windows Explorer. When i clicked it - my system was frozen until I physically disconnected it.
    I tried different ports and different computers. Same thing. Also, the WD Drive Utilities is not recognizing it. The little light is on, and I hear it spinning but its cyclical like a regular rhythmic pattern.

It's used as a backup so losing the data would only mean losing a copy and I'd have to replace the drive.

Is there anything else I can do to test it before I conclude that it has finished its life?

:)

orlando1974, May 20, 2020
  2. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, May 20, 2020
  3. External disk drive not showing up

Check if the drive is assigned a drive letter.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Disk drives

Right click the external drive

Click uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart then check if its detected.

or

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, May 20, 2020
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

If external drive does NOT show in Disk Management...is it done?

Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, May 20, 2020
Thema:

If external drive does NOT show in Disk Management...is it done?

1. If external drive does NOT show in Disk Management...is it done? - Similar Threads - external drive does

2. how to get external drive to show in disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to get external drive to show in disk management: Anyone no a couple quick easy clicks that will make this computer see external drives and devices in disk management https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-external-drive-to-show-in-disk/f7a10a9b-2ea0-49e9-8e3d-5625d113ffc1
  3. how to get external drive to show in disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to get external drive to show in disk management: Anyone no a couple quick easy clicks that will make this computer see external drives and devices in disk management https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-external-drive-to-show-in-disk/f7a10a9b-2ea0-49e9-8e3d-5625d113ffc1
  4. how to get external drive to show in disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.: I have an external hard disk drive, with 2 partitions D261 GB, E437GB. Suddenly once the local diskE: is missing in file explorer, the local diskD: drive is still there. When I open disk management it shows only the D drive with 698GB as total space which is the total space...
  6. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.: I have an external hard disk drive, with 2 partitions D261 GB, E437GB. Suddenly once the local diskE: is missing in file explorer, the local diskD: drive is still there. When I open disk management it shows only the D drive with 698GB as total space which is the total space...
  7. External HDD not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD not showing up in disk management: My 1TB external Seagate HDD is being detected in device manger, but I cannot see it on disk management. When I connect it, it beeps 5 times, no matter which port I use submitted by /u/vininhosts [link] [comments]...
  8. External Drive not showing up in File Explorer/Disk Management

External Drive not showing up in File Explorer/Disk Management: Hello, I have a Seagate external drive that isn't showing up on my PC. Windows makes a sound when I connect it, but it's not showing up in File Explorer and Disk Management. I've tried using a different cable one that works and connecting it to a different USB port, but it...
  9. Disk Management for External SSD drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management for External SSD drive: I bought a Samsung 500 GB SSD T5 and I'd like to use it without the Samsung app, just as an external drive. Disk management shows it as a 42 MB partition. I'd like to delete this partition and reclaim the rest of my 500 GBs but nothing I do will allow this. Is this an...
  10. Hard drive does not show in bios or disk managent but does show in device manager and...

Hard drive does not show in bios or disk managent but does show in device manager and...: I recently bought a pc with a 1tb hard drive and 120gb ssd. I'm able to see my hard drive in storage spaces and device manager but I cannot able to access it in the bios or the devices and drives or in disk management. How can I fix this issue and get the hard drive to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 disk management windows xp drive no file system