Windows 10: If I add an SSD and make it boot drive can I keep my HDD as is and still use it as storage...

Discus and support If I add an SSD and make it boot drive can I keep my HDD as is and still use it as storage... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just a quick noob question. I have a Win 10 PC with a 1TB HDD installed and a couple empty drive bays. I just ordered an SSD that will be here in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BBTIV, Mar 26, 2020.

1. BBTIV Win User

If I add an SSD and make it boot drive can I keep my HDD as is and still use it as storage...

Just a quick noob question.

I have a Win 10 PC with a 1TB HDD installed and a couple empty drive bays. I just ordered an SSD that will be here in a week and I will clone the HDD drive onto the SSD and make the SSD the boot drive.

I would then like to use the 1TB HDD as a storage drive but I would also like to keep the Windows installation on the original drive so I can boot from it just in case the SSD ever fails. Does this make sense or will this cause any issues using that drive as storage even though it also has Win 10 installed on it? Seems a little odd to me but maybe I'm worrying about nothing here? Should I maybe just wipe the HDD clean and then use as storage?

:)

BBTIV, Mar 26, 2020

2. SSD Drive as Boot Drive and HDD Drive as Storage, how do I do it?

Remove the HDD. Install Windows on SSD. Then insert the HDD. Now SSD should be your boot drive with HDD as a storage drive.

If Windows doesn't boot,

1) Check Boot priority in BIOS and set your SSD on top of the list.

2) If still doesn't work, then create a 200MB Fat32 partition on the HDD(call it whatever you want) then boot into the windows 10 installer via a usb, launch command prompt with SHIFT + F10 and run the following:

bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-en /s B: /f UEFI

where B: is the drive letter for the 200MB partition (it could be any other drive letter for you).

Note: the drive letter with windows could be different, so either poke around command prompt to find out or launch DISKPART and run show volumes to find the partition.

The only downside to this solution is that if the HDD fails you lose boot capabilities. To get around this you could create a ISO of the 200mb boot drive and upload it for safe keeping and burn it to a usb flash disk in case of emergencies.

Source: ENVY 15t-j000 mSATA SSD + HDD fresh install, with mSATA as boot
    drive

Harsimran17, Mar 26, 2020
  3. SSD Drive as Boot Drive and HDD Drive as Storage, how do I do it?

Recently, I have discovered an old Kingston 120gb SSD Drive in my drawers. I own a Lenovo laptop with a HDD Caddy with a 1 Tb hard drive in the bay and the SSD installed internally inside the computer. My computer runs with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

My question is; How would I configure my SSD so that it will be the boot drive, and the HDD in the Caddy as the Storage drive? Since 120gb of space in the SSD ain't exactly 'much'.

northerngames, Mar 26, 2020
  4. If I add an SSD and make it boot drive can I keep my HDD as is and still use it as storage...

SSD drive as primary drive(250gb) and HDD as storage hard drive(500gb), but system does not boot.

Does the system boot with just the SSD connected?

Yes, the system boots only with SSD connected.

HenrySteinberg, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

If I add an SSD and make it boot drive can I keep my HDD as is and still use it as storage...

1. If I add an SSD and make it boot drive can I keep my HDD as is and still use it as storage... - Similar Threads - add SSD boot

2. Is there a way I can make my secondary storage a primary by not making it the boot drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way I can make my secondary storage a primary by not making it the boot drive?: Other than going to window settings clicking system then storage then "change where new content is saved" because even that doesnt help i need my secondary hard drive to be my primary storage hdd through file explorer not windows settings. Do I need to upgrade to windows 11?...
  3. Is there a way I can make my secondary storage a primary by not making it the boot drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way I can make my secondary storage a primary by not making it the boot drive?: Other than going to window settings clicking system then storage then "change where new content is saved" because even that doesnt help i need my secondary hard drive to be my primary storage hdd through file explorer not windows settings. Do I need to upgrade to windows 11?...
  4. Is there a way I can make my secondary storage a primary by not making it the boot drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD?: Please excuse my English, but my issue is how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD? I bought this gaming laptop, but after formatting it, many weird stuff began to happen. It began to slow down, and I believe the problem is that it is booting on the HDD drive. I...
  6. how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD?: Please excuse my English, but my issue is how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD? I bought this gaming laptop, but after formatting it, many weird stuff began to happen. It began to slow down, and I believe the problem is that it is booting on the HDD drive. I...
  7. how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How can I make my ssd the main boot drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I make my ssd the main boot drive?: Hello, so I recently Installed windows to my new Kingston ssd and I have noticed that it does not display in my bios as the main boot drive for UEFI. So whenever I have to turn off my computer or restart it I have to press f9 boot drive selector and manually select my ssd to...
  9. want to make SSD primary boot drive and move HDD to storage.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    want to make SSD primary boot drive and move HDD to storage.: I made the mistake of using AOMEI, to decrease the size of one partition, while increasing the size of the other. Simple enough. What I hadn't counted on was: this program, apparently, is at liberty to rearrange one's drive letters! Now, even though my partitions were...
  10. SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive: I've researched high and low for a simple solution. I remember doing this on windows 7 with a registry hack back in the day, and it worked flawlessly. This is what I would like to do. I have a 500 gig SSD and a 1TB HDD. I would like all 600 gigs of user data to be on the HDD...