Windows 10: If I am the user

Discus and support If I am the user in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; If I am the only user, why do I keep needing "administrator approval"? I AM listed as administrator. I've tried both "local" and "Microsoft Account"... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by realfunny53, Mar 30, 2016.

1. If I am the user

If I am the only user, why do I keep needing "administrator approval"? I AM listed as administrator. I've tried both "local" and "Microsoft Account" and still can't do things. Help?

:)

realfunny53, Mar 30, 2016

2. Can I install Widows 10 if i am not an admin user?

Hi,

No only the Admin User can perform the upgrade since it will affect all users.

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Mar 30, 2016
  3. Can I install Widows 10 if i am not an admin user?

What rights are required to install this upgrade? Thanks

TechMan2014, Mar 30, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

If I am the user

Hello and welcome to the TenForums *Smile

Are you referring to the confirmation window that appears everytime you are making a change to your computer? If so this is normal behaviour. See below:

Definition for Administrator accounts:

Administrator accounts have complete access to the PC and can make any desired changes. Administrators can be a local account or Microsoft account. If any action that requires elevated rights is attempted while signed in as an administrator, Windows will display a UAC prompt for the administrator to confirm (Yes or No) or enter their password first.

philc43, Mar 30, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    In Vista and later even admin level accounts do not by default have full access rights but only those of a standard user. This is by design. An account with full rights is convenient but not very secure. The problem is that if you accidentally run malicious software, and this is very difficult to fully avoid, it will be able to do pretty much anything it wants to. That is bad. But with only standard rights it will be very limited in what it can do. That is good. And by adding the extra step it helps to avoid making accidental changes you did not wish to make.

When XP was released using an unrestricted admin account for general use was acceptable but still not recommended. But the risks now in 2016 are much greater and using such an account is no longer an acceptable risk.

With UAC enabled, the default setting, you must ask for full the full rights of the admin account. This is a reasonable compromise between security and convenience. Security always has it's price, and not just with computers.

It is possible to run an admin account with full rights but you will find many things do not work. This too is by design. This is insecure and definitely not recommended. I will not describe the process.

LMiller7, Mar 30, 2016
  6. TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

If I am the user

1. If I am the user - Similar Threads - user

2. Windows 10 finally offers a direct upgrade to Windows 11 23H2 for more users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 finally offers a direct upgrade to Windows 11 23H2 for more users: Thanks to a new server-side change, which is still rolling out, you can now directly upgrade to Windows 11 23H2 from Windows 10. Previously, some users were offered Windows 11 22H2 when they checked updates on Windows 10. As a result, those users were forced to download...
  3. Will you add/create a Leapfrog Connect app in the Microsoft store so Window 11 users do not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will you add/create a Leapfrog Connect app in the Microsoft store so Window 11 users do not...: Will you add/create a Leapfrog Connect app in the Microsoft store, so Window 11 users do not need to switch out of Windows S Mode to connect our kid's learning device to our PC? If so, when will this be loaded to the Microsoft store?...
  4. Will you add/create a Leapfrog Connect app in the Microsoft store so Window 11 users do not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will you add/create a Leapfrog Connect app in the Microsoft store so Window 11 users do not...: Will you add/create a Leapfrog Connect app in the Microsoft store, so Window 11 users do not need to switch out of Windows S Mode to connect our kid's learning device to our PC? If so, when will this be loaded to the Microsoft store?...
  5. My website's contact form isn't working. How can I fix it to ensure I receive user messages?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    My website's contact form isn't working. How can I fix it to ensure I receive user messages?: My website's contact form is not functioning correctly, and I'm not receiving messages from users. How can I troubleshoot and fix this issue to ensure that it remains fully functional?This question addresses a common issue faced by website owners: the malfunctioning of a...
  6. Can I automatically switch user input method from fullwidth katakana to halfwidth hiragana...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I automatically switch user input method from fullwidth katakana to halfwidth hiragana...: 1 I have a form of html inputs, which some are allowed to type in halfwidth hiragana, the others are allowed to type in fullwidth katakana.2 Now, I need a way to automatically switch user keyboard input method between halfwidth hiragana and fullwidth katakana when user focus...
  7. Can I automatically switch user input method from fullwidth katakana to halfwidth hiragana...

Can I automatically switch user input method from fullwidth katakana to halfwidth hiragana...: 1 I have a form of html inputs, which some are allowed to type in halfwidth hiragana, the others are allowed to type in fullwidth katakana.2 Now, I need a way to automatically switch user keyboard input method between halfwidth hiragana and fullwidth katakana when user focus...
  8. Can I automatically switch user input method from fullwidth katakana to halfwidth hiragana...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. I have never created other user start up screen, now I am been ask to login with it. Please...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have never created other user start up screen, now I am been ask to login with it. Please...: I have never created other user start up screen login in my window 11 pro, now I am been ask to login, I have tried to login with my Microsoft account to no avail. What can I do to resolve this problem....
  10. I have never created other user start up screen, now I am been ask to login with it. Please...

I have never created other user start up screen, now I am been ask to login with it. Please...: I have never created other user start up screen login in my window 11 pro, now I am been ask to login, I have tried to login with my Microsoft account to no avail. What can I do to resolve this problem....