Windows 10: If I build a new PC, does my old 8.1 key let me redo the windows 10 upgrade?

Discus and support If I build a new PC, does my old 8.1 key let me redo the windows 10 upgrade? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am about to build a new PC and I am worried about whether or not I have to buy a new Windows 10 license. My account has the Windows 10 digital... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PatrickVeugelers, Nov 24, 2019.

1. If I build a new PC, does my old 8.1 key let me redo the windows 10 upgrade?

I am about to build a new PC and I am worried about whether or not I have to buy a new Windows 10 license. My account has the Windows 10 digital license, but the key I would use to activate the new PC is a Windows 8.1 key.

So what I was wondering is if I install windows 8.1 on the new PC and log in to my Microsoft account that has the Windows 10 Home digital license, does it allow me to update to windows 10? Or do I have to buy a new 10 product key?

:)

PatrickVeugelers, Nov 24, 2019
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Nov 24, 2019
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Nov 24, 2019
  4. r.h.p Win User

If I build a new PC, does my old 8.1 key let me redo the windows 10 upgrade?

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Nov 24, 2019
Thema:

If I build a new PC, does my old 8.1 key let me redo the windows 10 upgrade?

1. If I build a new PC, does my old 8.1 key let me redo the windows 10 upgrade? - Similar Threads - build does old

2. OLD PC SIGN IN ON MY NEW PC BUILD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OLD PC SIGN IN ON MY NEW PC BUILD?: Can someone please help me. I recently built a new PC. I needed a bigger HHD so I took it from my old PC. A few months go by everything is fine.. then today I slide up to sign in on the lock screen for the pc, type in my 4 pin passcode.... first it said your profile is...
  3. OLD PC SIGN IN ON MY NEW PC BUILD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OLD PC SIGN IN ON MY NEW PC BUILD?: Can someone please help me. I recently built a new PC. I needed a bigger HHD so I took it from my old PC. A few months go by everything is fine.. then today I slide up to sign in on the lock screen for the pc, type in my 4 pin passcode.... first it said your profile is...
  4. OLD PC SIGN IN ON MY NEW PC BUILD?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Not letting me upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not letting me upgrade: I am trying to upgrade to Win 11. Windows update said I did not qualify. I ran PC Health Check and it said I needed to enable TPM 2.0. I did this in my Bios and ran all available updates and rebooted. PC Health Check now says I am in full complaince and can update. When I go...
  6. Not letting me upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not letting me upgrade: I am trying to upgrade to Win 11. Windows update said I did not qualify. I ran PC Health Check and it said I needed to enable TPM 2.0. I did this in my Bios and ran all available updates and rebooted. PC Health Check now says I am in full complaince and can update. When I go...
  7. Windows 10 on the new PC own a Windows 8 with key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 on the new PC own a Windows 8 with key: BACKGROUNDBought in it's time a Windows 8 with key directly from microsoftThen upgraded for free to Windows 10 proCurrent activation status : Windows is activated with digital License WHAT I Would likeI would like a completely clean installation of Windows 10 pro on my...
  8. Using an old Windows 10 product key for a new PC build

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using an old Windows 10 product key for a new PC build: I got a laptop 2 years ago that came with windows 10 on it. Juice spilled on it, and now it's broken. Won't turn on or light up even when plugged in. Is there an easy way I can recover my Windows 10 product key from it, or does Microsoft prevent you from doing this? I would...
  9. Can I transfer my Windows 10 upgrade licence to new PC build?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I transfer my Windows 10 upgrade licence to new PC build?: I am sure this question has been asked before, but the answer to it seems really complicated and seems to change depending on the exact situation. My situation is this, I have had the same PC since 2012, on to which I installed Windows 7 Pro from a store bought DVD with OEM...
  10. New build won't let me install Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New build won't let me install Windows: Here is my build - Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 960 4GB - System Build - PCPartPicker So this has been a nightmare for the past two days trying to get everything installed correctly and to actually boot up and allow me to install windows from my USB drive. I...