Windows 10: If I buy an OEM version of win 10 pro will that one too be a 'one use'

Discus and support If I buy an OEM version of win 10 pro will that one too be a 'one use' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ..Or will I be able to install it on the next computer I buy too? (will not have it active on old computer as it will be salvaged for parts) Any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Grislord, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Grislord Win User

If I buy an OEM version of win 10 pro will that one too be a 'one use'

..Or will I be able to install it on the next computer I buy too? (will not have it active on old computer as it will be salvaged for parts) Any difference between Retail and OEM?

:)

Grislord, Aug 2, 2015
  2. VTiberiu Win User

If I buy now a copy of Windows 8.1 OEM will I be able to get a free Windows 10 copy?

thanks!

VTiberiu, Aug 2, 2015
  3. If I buy now a copy of Windows 8.1 OEM will I be able to get a free Windows 10 copy?

Hi VTiberiu,

if you buy a legitimate version of Windows 8.1 (like OEM version) you can get free upgrade to Windows 10 without problems If I buy an OEM version of win 10 pro will that one too be a 'one use' ;)

Vito

Vito Macina, Aug 2, 2015
  4. If I buy an OEM version of win 10 pro will that one too be a 'one use'

OEM is non transferable, once its activated its tied to that hardware. Retail can be transferred exactly as you have planned.

alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2015
  5. Grislord Win User
    Damnit! ..sorry thanks for the answer!

Grislord, Aug 2, 2015
  6. That's one of the reasons its so much cheaper than retail. You'll also get no free phone support with the OEM version. Other restrictions may apply. *Wink

7. Grislord Win User
    I can't find it (10 pro english (nor swedish) in Sweden (retail) only OEM.. that I already ordered (before checking if it would work on next machine too) But it's currently working on my win7 upgrade, so I'll keep it for a while if that is the case, can't afford a new computer right now anyway.

*Redface

Grislord, Aug 2, 2015
  8. If I buy an OEM version of win 10 pro will that one too be a 'one use'

I haven't looked myself. I have an MSDN subscription so I have no need to buy Windows. If I did it would be through a Newegg or similar retailer that ships to Canada.

9. Mystere Win User
    Actually, based on Microsoft's new licensing, I'm not entirely sure that OEM copies that you purchase separately from the hardware have the "no-transfer" requirement.

The new license terms specify only "Software pre-installed on the device" and "If you acquired the software as stand-alone software". If you bought the software (oem edition or not) it would seem to qualify with the second, and not the first.

In this respect, it correlates with the Windows 8 System Builder license, which also allowed transfer if you purchased the system builder copy yourself. The license doesn't even mention the terms OEM or Retail.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  10. Grislord Win User
    Interesting.. But I'm still afraid of it being tied with my crappy mobo and AMD FX 8350 processor that have to be changed in a few years, but by that time the retail might be out and/or the OEM cheaper.
    I'll wait and see if I need to use it in the near future.. I don't want to sit without a fully working op-sys, and I have (almost with tears in my eyes) left a Win7 backup available.. but already somewhat used to Win 10.. like the XP to Win7 transfer

Grislord, Aug 2, 2015
  11. SIW2 Win User
    Buying means the right of distribution transfers to the buyer. Nothing new about that.

12. Grislord Win User
    Managed to get an answer from the place I ordered it from, and they said it was just a one time thing.. and only worked as a standalone, not upgradable like the one I have today. So I canceled the order and I'll await retail version, as I will not reinstall all the stuff I have. Just hope this one stays activated long enough for me *Smile

Grislord, Aug 2, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

They don't know what they're talking about. Of course OEM copies are upgradable.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  14. Grislord Win User
    They claimed it to only be usable as clear install.. and I don't want to waste 210$ on something that 'might' work.. then I'll just chug along with the 'free upgrade' until retail is released.

Grislord, Aug 2, 2015
  15. NUS
    Nus Win User
    I'm not even sure if Win 10 Retail will be available on DVD?

At the moment you can download Pro Retail for an eye-watering £190.

Pro OEM DVD £110.

Or get a Retail USB on the 17th.

This.

Thema:

1. If I buy an OEM version of win 10 pro will that one too be a 'one use' - Similar Threads - buy OEM version

2. Have two Win 7 Pro keys, used one and upgraded to 10. Dont know which one was used for...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Have two Win 7 Pro keys, used one and upgraded to 10. Dont know which one was used for...: As the subject says, I have two keys for win 7 pro. Is there any way to see which of these two keys was used to upgrade to 10? Everywhere I have searched says that the old key is no longer a key. Is there anyway to see which of these two keys is still a valid windows 7 key?Im...
  3. Have two Win 7 Pro keys, used one and upgraded to 10. Dont know which one was used for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Have two Win 7 Pro keys, used one and upgraded to 10. Dont know which one was used for...: As the subject says, I have two keys for win 7 pro. Is there any way to see which of these two keys was used to upgrade to 10? Everywhere I have searched says that the old key is no longer a key. Is there anyway to see which of these two keys is still a valid windows 7 key?Im...
  4. Have two Win 7 Pro keys, used one and upgraded to 10. Dont know which one was used for...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. win 10 version expired on one computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 10 version expired on one computer: I have 3 computers with win that originally came with the OS. I've kept developer updates on 2 of the 3 up to date. now I need to use the resources on that computer. I keep getting the message that 'This build of Windows Will Expire on 1/31/2021. Obviously I missed that....
  6. Are cheap Windows 10 Pro OEM Keys illegal to buy & too use?

Are cheap Windows 10 Pro OEM Keys illegal to buy & too use?: I've recently been seeing a lot of popular YouTube creators who are being sponsored to make videos to promote a website called ucdkeys, where you can buy cheap Windows 10 Pro OEM CD Keys for only £10 ~ $16. I simply ask this, are the Windows 10 Pro OEM keys this website sells...
  7. Using a Win 10 Pro full version disk with Win 10 OEM license to install OEM version of Win...

Using a Win 10 Pro full version disk with Win 10 OEM license to install OEM version of Win...: The subject says it most clearly. I need to upgrade two computers from Win 7 pro, and will have new hard drives for each of them. The full version download for Win 10 Pro comes with it's own product key, and there's an option to purchase just a product key for Win 10 Pro...
  8. License win 10 pro oem , can i use it for version os win 10 pro for workstation ?

License win 10 pro oem , can i use it for version os win 10 pro for workstation ?: License win 10 pro oem , can i use it for version os win 10 pro for workstation ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/license-win-10-pro-oem-can-i-use-it-for-version-os/7bc8e72c-cabb-4135-9120-cbecfb215e88"
  9. I can't install one drive win 10 pro

I can't install one drive win 10 pro: Upgraded from win 7 to win 10 pro few years back. Looked for one drive recently. It was in start menu as "OneDrive", but would not start. Was in Apps & features as "Microsoft OneDrive". I tried to re-install, it would not. I uninstalled it. no longer in list. I tried...
  10. Upgrade a Win 10 home OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM with Win 10 Pro OEM Key?

Upgrade a Win 10 home OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM with Win 10 Pro OEM Key?: I recently purchased a laptop that has an OEM version of Win 10 Home on it. I verified this by using : slmgr -dli. Previously I had purchased an OEM Win 10 Pro Key. Can I use this OEM Win 10 Pro Key to upgrade the OEM Win 10 Home to the OEM Win 10 Pro. If so what are...