Windows 10: If I change my network profile to public, can the network owner see if I'm using the network?

Discus and support If I change my network profile to public, can the network owner see if I'm using the network? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Or does it just make my device not usable for file sharing etc submitted by /u/fire_whale_7760 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/fire_whale_7760, Nov 29, 2020.

1. If I change my network profile to public, can the network owner see if I'm using the network?

/u/fire_whale_7760, Nov 29, 2020

2. Change Network Profile

I don't think this quite answers my question.

If the network is recognised as a public how do i change it to a private network.

You were suggesting

• Under Private networking, check mark .Turn on Private networking.

the network is recognised as Public. What would changing Private network settings do?

• Click on save changes.

You can also refer the below chart.

Change network profile :

Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings.

are you suggesting change the public network settings?

GavinScott, Nov 29, 2020
  3. Change network profile

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I suggest you to try the below steps to change a Private network to Public, and check if it helps.

• Click on the Network icon on the notification area, click
      Open Network Setting
    • Double Click on network location.
    • Turn “on”, Find devices and content.
    • Close.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Nov 29, 2020
  4. If I change my network profile to public, can the network owner see if I'm using the network?

Network showing as public

Hi Connor,

By default, the public network location type is assigned to any new networks when they are first connected. A public network is considered to be shared with the world, with no protection between the local computer and any other computer. Therefore,
    the Windows Firewall rules associated with the public profile are the most restrictive.

To change settings from public to private, follow the steps below:

• Open the Locale Security Policy.
    • In the left pane, click/tap on Network List Manager Policies.
    • In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on your network name
    • Click/tap on the Network Location tab.
    • Under Location type, select Private.
    • Under User permissions, select (dot) User cannot change location.
    • Click/tap on OK, and close Local Security Policy.

Note: You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the network location of a network adapter.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Martin Bar, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

If I change my network profile to public, can the network owner see if I'm using the network?

1. If I change my network profile to public, can the network owner see if I'm using the network? - Similar Threads - change network profile

2. public network !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    public network !: is it possible to delete everything to do with a public network on my computer because im sick and tired of it turning on by its self i dont ever sign on usiing one i never will and i just want the whole option deleted off my computer ?...
  3. public network !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    public network !: is it possible to delete everything to do with a public network on my computer because im sick and tired of it turning on by its self i dont ever sign on usiing one i never will and i just want the whole option deleted off my computer ?...
  4. Change the WSL network profile from public to private.

Change the WSL network profile from public to private.: using Windows insider build 22463Hi,I had a Problem with WSL a few days ago.I now figured out that the problem was that I had set the Windows firewall to block all connections incomming from a public network. Since this includes the WSL network, I wasnt able to do a DNS...
  5. changing network profile

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    changing network profile: I want to change my network profile from public to private but I see no way to do this. Is there a way to change it and how is it done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-network-profile/265180f8-d7e2-4bcd-a802-1efdc6ea0d66"
  6. Public Network

Public Network: Why does my home network show up as a public network instead of a private network? I have an xFinity gateway. I know it has hot spots built into it, but I have turned the hot spots off. Is there a way I can move the network from public to private in Windows?...
  7. Cannot change network profile from Public to Private

Cannot change network profile from Public to Private: I have searched and seen numerous posts about the latest builds of Windows 10 removing the easy way to change your network profile from Public to Private, and vice versa. I have tried both the Powershell (Admin) method and the registry change method. With both, the changes do...
  8. Can only see public files on my networked PCs

Can only see public files on my networked PCs: I have three windows 10 PCs. An HP laptop, an HP all in one and an old Desktop. All PCs are fully up to date on Software. I have applied all the suggestions on local services - Function Discovery Provider and Function Discovery resources set to automatic delayed start, DNS...
  9. How can I change the Public setting of Network

How can I change the Public setting of Network: setting to Private in Windows 10 Pro Version 1803. I have tried Networking through settings, deleting and re-installing the router and through the netsh interface. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone help? All the internet answers relate to previous versions of Windows 10 which...
  10. Public network.

Public network.: From the beginning that i install windows 10 i had a homenetwork (network 1).Now it is switchd to a public network (network 2).How is that happen? How can i back to my home network (network 1) ? 44257