Windows 10: If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...

Discus and support If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or keys to it. I took all my photo's off, which is what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by D.A. Montgomery, Jan 19, 2023.

1. If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...

If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or keys to it. I took all my photo's off, which is what I thought was important but what would be considered encrypted data? Something I should be worried about losing?

:)

D.A. Montgomery, Jan 19, 2023

2. Will clearing the TPM make BitLocker encrypted data unavailable?

I've learned in this answer that starting with Windows 10 v1607, Windows will not allow to set, save or change the TPM owner password by default. So the option to reset a TPM lockout by entering the owner password does not appear to exist anymore.

If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or... eTv16.png

The alternative is to clear the TPM. The following scenario:

• BitLocker enabled with TPM + PIN
    • wrong PIN entered >256 times over some time
    • now TPM never allowes more than one PIN attempt before entering into lockout for several minutes
    • during TPM lockout, recovery key can be used to access system

Is it safe to clear the TPM to reset the counter of wrong PIN attempts? Will the BitLocker encrypted data be lost? The warning screen sounds serious (below).

As mentioned, the recovery key is available. However, I want to avoid having to enter it every time I boot the computer.

If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or... VOOGY.png

Frank Seifert, Jan 19, 2023
  3. How to clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge?

Hello

CCLeaner cannot yet clean the cache of Microsoft Edge. You can clean your browsing data by following these steps.

• Open Microsoft Edge
    • Click on the three little dots on the top right corner
    • Under Clear Browsing Data click on Choose what to clear
    • Then make sure Cache is checked
    • Click on Clear
    If you don;'t understand exactly what I mean
    then see this post
    for a detailed step by step instruction with images.

Hope it helps you!

Yuri

Yuri Pustjens, Jan 19, 2023
  4. zapd Win User

If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...

How to clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge?

This does not work. I get this "Some data couldn't be cleared. Please try again." Windows 10 Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.218)

Thema:

If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...

1. If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or... - Similar Threads - clear TPM lost

2. I didn't understand what I was doing clearly and uninstalled Nvidia...please help?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I didn't understand what I was doing clearly and uninstalled Nvidia...please help?: I didnt understand clearly and uninstalled Nvidia. Once I realized I went and reinstalled but my razer synapse keeps opening and closing without me clicking on it and honestly I'm scared I'm messed up my laptop. I tried repairing the app.RestartingAnd uninstalling the app but...
  3. I didn't understand what I was doing clearly and uninstalled Nvidia...please help?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I didn't understand what I was doing clearly and uninstalled Nvidia...please help?: I didnt understand clearly and uninstalled Nvidia. Once I realized I went and reinstalled but my razer synapse keeps opening and closing without me clicking on it and honestly I'm scared I'm messed up my laptop. I tried repairing the app.RestartingAnd uninstalling the app but...
  4. I didn't understand what I was doing clearly and uninstalled Nvidia...please help?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...: If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or keys to it. I took all my photo's off, which is what I thought was important but what would be considered encrypted data? Something I should be worried about losing?...
  6. If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...

If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or...: If I clear the TPM, what is lost? I don't understand what is considered encrypted data or keys to it. I took all my photo's off, which is what I thought was important but what would be considered encrypted data? Something I should be worried about losing?...
  7. What the problem with my laptop? I don't understand

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What the problem with my laptop? I don't understand: After this screen the system start auto repair but it just stuck https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-the-problem-with-my-laptop-i-dont-understand/d1a4b037-3b2e-40ea-95ee-7ab1407d50b1
  8. What the problem with my laptop? I don't understand

What the problem with my laptop? I don't understand: After this screen the system start auto repair but it just stuck https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-the-problem-with-my-laptop-i-dont-understand/d1a4b037-3b2e-40ea-95ee-7ab1407d50b1
  9. What data will be lost if I reset my app?

What data will be lost if I reset my app?: I got this error while trying to play a video of mine "0xc00db3b2", I think I need to reset my Movies & TV app but I saw the warning that my data will be lost if I do so. Will all of my video go away?...
  10. i just got this update, i don't understand what's it for

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i just got this update, i don't understand what's it for: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SnoopDoge93 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h9ha80/i_just_got_this_update_i_dont_understand_whats_it/