Windows 10: If I clone a Hard Drive with Windows 7 to a SSD with Windows 10, would the SSD go back to...

Discus and support If I clone a Hard Drive with Windows 7 to a SSD with Windows 10, would the SSD go back to... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am going to upgrade my SSD to Windows 7 so I want to clone all my files and settings to my Hard drive. I plan on wiping my SSD clean and doing a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/2point9AIDSBOW, Jul 13, 2020.

1. If I clone a Hard Drive with Windows 7 to a SSD with Windows 10, would the SSD go back to...

I am going to upgrade my SSD to Windows 7 so I want to clone all my files and settings to my Hard drive. I plan on wiping my SSD clean and doing a new install of Windows 10, but after that I want to transfer my files back to my SSD with a cloning software. Would this cause issues for my SSD since the cloning software copies EXACTLY what's on my Hard drive?

If there is an easier way to backup and move my files back to my SSD,please let me know.

submitted by /u/2point9AIDSBOW
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/2point9AIDSBOW, Jul 13, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Jul 13, 2020
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Jul 13, 2020
  4. OrbitzXT Win User

If I clone a Hard Drive with Windows 7 to a SSD with Windows 10, would the SSD go back to...

How to clone a hard drive?

I'm a little confused about one thing with this guide.

If my existing HDD is unplugged, and the only thing plugged in is my new, blank, SSD...where is the system image being stored for Windows to restore from?

Edit: I missed the part where it says you'll need an extra HDD to do this, my bad. Do you know if an external HDD would work to store the system image on?

OrbitzXT, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

If I clone a Hard Drive with Windows 7 to a SSD with Windows 10, would the SSD go back to...

1. If I clone a Hard Drive with Windows 7 to a SSD with Windows 10, would the SSD go back to... - Similar Threads - clone Hard Drive

2. Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?: Hi Microsoft Community,I'm trying to clone my data and licensed version of Windows 10 Home from my old HHD drive to a new Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD using the Acronis True Image for Crucial software. It clones fine but when I install the new SSD hard drive into my laptop it will...
  3. Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?: Hi Microsoft Community,I'm trying to clone my data and licensed version of Windows 10 Home from my old HHD drive to a new Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD using the Acronis True Image for Crucial software. It clones fine but when I install the new SSD hard drive into my laptop it will...
  4. Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Replacing hard drive on HP Laptop with an SSD and would like to install Windows 10 on the SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing hard drive on HP Laptop with an SSD and would like to install Windows 10 on the SSD: Hello All I'm new here, and hope I don't embarrass myself asking this question... I live in the United Kingdom. I have an HP G6-2244sa laptop with an AMD E2-1800 processor 1.7GHz with 8GB RAM. The laptop originally ran Windows 8 but was updated to Windows 10 Home...
  6. Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive: Okay, So here's the thing. Laptop with small (16GB) Optane SSD & 1TB Seagate HDD failed. Retailer tried to repair, repair failed. Retailer replaced machine with new (lower spec) machine that only has m.2 NVMe PCIe sockets. Bought a small 'Proof-of-concept' SSD to check the...
  7. New Computer with SSD - would like to clone this drive

New Computer with SSD - would like to clone this drive: Hi folks. My wife is getting a new Windows 10 laptop tomorrow with a 256Gb SSD. One of the first things I'm going to check is the version number of Windows 10 that is installed. If it isn't 1909, can I do a manual update to 1909 (and if so, how)? I'd like to clone this onto...
  8. Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive: My operating system runs on a Corsair SSD hard drive. I plan to clone the OS to a much larger Samsung SSD hard drive using Acronis.. And I wonder if there will be any compatibility issues between the hard drives? 137880
  9. Clone older 2014 laptop hard drive (running windows 10) to ssd then install the ssd into a...

Clone older 2014 laptop hard drive (running windows 10) to ssd then install the ssd into a...: I have cloned the 2014 hdd from an ASUS laptop to the ssd using free aomei cloning software. I then installed the ssd into a 2017 Lenovo laptop. Windows will not run and I receive a blue recovery screen with error message "Error code: 0xc000000e". This hard drive is dual...
  10. Windows 10 Clone to SSD will not go onto the internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Clone to SSD will not go onto the internet: I have a dell computer that originally came with windows 8 and upgrade to 8.1 then to windows 10 via the free upgrade. I have wanted to upgrade the HDD to an SDD so I purchase a 500GB SSD I have been using Macrium Reflect cloning software before on another system and worked...