Windows 10: If I delete a symlink, will it also delete the original file?

Discus and support If I delete a symlink, will it also delete the original file? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all. I have a question about symlinks in Windows 10. Let's say I do the following: I add file-a to folder-a. In folder-b I add a symlink to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/cag8f, Mar 23, 2020.

1. /u/cag8f Win User

If I delete a symlink, will it also delete the original file?

Hi all. I have a question about symlinks in Windows 10. Let's say I do the following:

• I add file-a to folder-a.
    • In folder-b I add a symlink to file-a.

If I delete the symlink, will it also delete file-a? I believe the answer is 'no,' but just want to confirm.

Also,

• I know I can open the symlink. But can I modify it's contents, and save it? If so, what happens to file-a when that occurs--do the edits get saved to file-a as well?

• Can I add a symlink to an entire folder, which in-turn creates symlinks to every file in the folder?

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/cag8f
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/cag8f, Mar 23, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

Had a Question..it was deleted --.--

our policy is to delete only spam/inappropriate posts.

the only person who can "hard delete" posts on the forums is me .. everybody else can just soft-delete the posts, the original author will see those posts in the threads list with a comment why it was deleted.

to the poster it will look like this, without "manage"

If I delete a symlink, will it also delete the original file? deleted.gif

W1zzard, Mar 23, 2020
  3. macbeth Win User
    Cannot delete files in Temp

There are a few files that i cant delete in
    C:\Documents and Settings\1st User\Local Settings\Temp
    which are ~DF567B.tmp, ~DFB71E.tmp, ~ROMFN_000007A8 and Perflib_Perfdata_7a8.dat. And some times there are a few more.
    What are these files and why cant they be deleted?

macbeth, Mar 23, 2020
  4. If I delete a symlink, will it also delete the original file?

question on how to permanently delete files?

Can some one tell me how to permanently delete files that i delete from the recycle bin.?

Achilles1600, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

If I delete a symlink, will it also delete the original file?

1. If I delete a symlink, will it also delete the original file? - Similar Threads - delete symlink delete

2. I deleted files in OneDrive but it also deleted the Actual Files themselves

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I deleted files in OneDrive but it also deleted the Actual Files themselves: So when I went to delete files on the OneDrive site I thought it was only going to delete my backup files but when I when to the desktop half of my apps were gone and everything in my documents and pictures was gone.I decided just to delete everything and only back up files I...
  3. I deleted files in OneDrive but it also deleted the Actual Files themselves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I deleted files in OneDrive but it also deleted the Actual Files themselves: So when I went to delete files on the OneDrive site I thought it was only going to delete my backup files but when I when to the desktop half of my apps were gone and everything in my documents and pictures was gone.I decided just to delete everything and only back up files I...
  4. How To Delete All OneDrive Files Without deleting Original Files on PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How To Delete All OneDrive Files Without deleting Original Files on PC: This week OneDrive is causing me a lot of problems. Here is what I wish to do.1- Delete all OneDrive Files in the cloud without deleting any of the original files on my PC. 2- Delete all files in the OneDrive Folder on my PC C:\Users\Chris\OneDrive without deleting any of the...
  5. How To Delete All OneDrive Files Without deleting Original Files on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Delete All OneDrive Files Without deleting Original Files on PC: This week OneDrive is causing me a lot of problems. Here is what I wish to do.1- Delete all OneDrive Files in the cloud without deleting any of the original files on my PC. 2- Delete all files in the OneDrive Folder on my PC C:\Users\Chris\OneDrive without deleting any of the...
  6. How To Delete All OneDrive Files Without deleting Original Files on PC

7. Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11: In trying to use OneDrive to back up folders on my D: drive I found a website that suggested I could do it by creating a JUNCTION thus: mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\D_Desktop" "D:\Desktop"I did so for the D:\Desktop directory and for the D:\Documents directory. It didn't...
  8. Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11

Finding and Deleting a <JUNCTION> or <SYMLINK> in Windows 11: In trying to use OneDrive to back up folders on my D: drive I found a website that suggested I could do it by creating a JUNCTION thus: mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\D_Desktop" "D:\Desktop"I did so for the D:\Desktop directory and for the D:\Documents directory. It didn't...
  9. Delete key not deleting anything....AND Rclick delete also

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete key not deleting anything....AND Rclick delete also: Strange.... W10 Pro 21H2 v19043.1803 Delete key on keyboard stopped working...won't delete anything... Same thing with Rclick and delete.... It's like any delete feature in W10 stopped working.... Thoughts and ideas appreciated.... Yes...I tried a different kb...and...
  10. Cannot delete when right click on folder or file also can't delete by pressing "Delete"...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot delete when right click on folder or file also can't delete by pressing "Delete"...: I am unable to delete any files or folders on my E: drive by right clicking and by pressing "Delete" button on keyboard. And also i cannot create for example txt document by right clicking. There is no "New" shortcut on right click. However on other drives C: and D: such a...