Windows 10: If I do a reset this PC, can I setup local user password network share

Discus and support If I do a reset this PC, can I setup local user password network share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was wanting to share files on the LAN but it requires a password. If I do a reset, sign in with a PIN and my Microsoft account, how can I setup a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sdowney717, Dec 6, 2020.

1. If I do a reset this PC, can I setup local user password network share

I was wanting to share files on the LAN but it requires a password. If I do a reset, sign in with a PIN and my Microsoft account, how can I setup a local user password so that I can share files on the LAN?

Lot of work just to do that one thing.

Anyone have a step by step? There is apparently an unknown local password set and it can not be changed. I login with PIN on all my PC.

:)

sdowney717, Dec 6, 2020

2. If I do a reset this PC, can I setup local user password network share

I was wanting to share files on the LAN but it requires a password. If I do a reset, sign in with a PIN and my Microsoft account, how can I setup a local user password so that I can share files on the LAN?

Lot of work just to do that one thing.

Anyone have a step by step? There is apparently an unknown local password set and it can not be changed. I login with PIN on all my PC.

sdowney717, Dec 6, 2020
  3. If I do a reset this PC, can I setup local user password network share

I tried the USER and the PIN, does not connect.
    It does connect with a fake user and the password I recalled setting up this PC a month ago.
    The fake user does not exist on this PC. There is no one by that name as an account on this PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Went thru it thanks. I turned on the 2 mentioned services, now the PC appears in Network.
    Connecting to it still requires 'sdowney' not 'sdown'
    sdowney does not appear in the user list, yet it connects, while sdown wont..

If I do a reset this PC, can I setup local user password network share [​IMG]

video
    Shared album - Scott Downey - Google Photos

- - - Updated - - -

May have found a work around. I can use in command prompt, net user to add a new user.
    The new user I can log into using a password
    I can then share a folder from the new user and it does not ask for a user name or a password to connect to the share, created by map a network share process.

Why does the original share require a password to connect? I have advanced networking set to not ask for password. Is is because the other account is an admin account?

And the network still shows the original shares, not the new user shares. As in click the computer name under Network to reveal the shares. Why is that? Because of that I had to map the network share

SO IF I DO ALL THAT, can i delete 'sdown' who is an admin user and just use the newuser instead? Solving the problem of the weird user name sdown versus sdowney?

- - - Updated - - -

I found out it does show the shares under network, you have to go under each users name in the man folder to see them.
    And I am setting up a new user and when it is done, I will remove 'sdown' forever.

I plan to set it to login with PIN. I assume the password will still work on the shares. Because it seems once you switch to PIN login, all password options are gone.

- - - Updated - - -

going to mark it solved since I was able to create a new admin user and transfer the important files which were few. I then deleted the bad user by the command net user sdown /delete
    I then deleted in file manager the folder 'sdown'

I still have not decided about using PIN versus password sign in... honestly don't see the advantage yet. What it can do is you will forget your LOCAL password. Not talking about your MS online password.

sdowney717, Dec 6, 2020
  4. P4-630 Win User

If I do a reset this PC, can I setup local user password network share

How to reset Windwos 8 Password?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

• If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:
      • If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
      • If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. ...
      • If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

P4-630, Dec 6, 2020
Thema:

If I do a reset this PC, can I setup local user password network share

1. If I do a reset this PC, can I setup local user password network share - Similar Threads - reset setup local

2. Local User password reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local User password reset.: Hello,Just have received a message from Win services of password expiration. So went to device manager and changed passwords for local admin and other users. Before now had no problem with that, now when tried to login using PIN received an answer "Your password was changed...
  3. Local User password reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local User password reset.: Hello,Just have received a message from Win services of password expiration. So went to device manager and changed passwords for local admin and other users. Before now had no problem with that, now when tried to login using PIN received an answer "Your password was changed...
  4. Local User password reset.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How can I reset a local admin password if I dont know the password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I reset a local admin password if I dont know the password?: Hello, I recently started using an old laptop of mine again as I got some new parts for it. However I only have access to the one local account which does not have admin rights. I don't remember what the admin password is as it has been quite a while since I have used this...
  6. Local network setup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Local network setup: How to set up a local network in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-network-setup/b7189aa5-5f0e-4040-aeea-f423ecc7c5a4
  7. Can't reset password on local user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't reset password on local user: I was trying to change my password but i don.t remember it So i typed in cmd net user username new_password but it said System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied. I don't know what to do next or how to fix this...
  8. If I do a reset this PC, can I setup local user password network share

in Windows 10 Support
    If I do a reset this PC, can I setup local user password network share: I was wanting to share files on the LAN but it requires a password. If I do a reset, sign in with a PIN and my Microsoft account, how can I setup a local user password so that I can share files on the LAN? Lot of work just to do that one thing. Anyone have a step by step?...
  9. Can i reset my local account password without reseting my pc completly ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can i reset my local account password without reseting my pc completly ?: ( not fluent english speaker,sorry for mistakes ) So here is my problem i lost my current local account password a while ago fortunatly i had also a pin as a plus so i can still login in my pc but now the thing is i cant do some action cuz some require the password and not...
  10. where do I find the network sharing password?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    where do I find the network sharing password?: where do I find the network sharing password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-i-find-the-network-sharing-password/961c9a2b-ebc1-4ccd-87f0-418cdb1fc761