Windows 10: if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS?

Discus and support if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I was wondering if I upgrade my Operating System OS and I don't back up my data or any important files I many have will I possibly lose them after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NotTheRealBillGates, May 18, 2020.

1. if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS?

Hi, I was wondering if I upgrade my Operating System OS and I don't back up my data or any important files I many have will I possibly lose them after I upgrade my OS.

Thanks

sincerely NotTheRealBillGates

:)

NotTheRealBillGates, May 18, 2020
  2. Mussels Win User

Data backup and recovery help thread

We get heaps of threads on this, so lets make a nice organised list of programs people can use for backing up, restoring, and recovering data.

For a quick start to this, some pointers.

1. If you formatted a drive and did NOT write to it, recovery is possible. If you installed any data over it (such as windows, or copying files to it) then you need to restore a backup, or accept that you will have lost some, most, or all of your data.

2. Backups are not perfect - for example, a virus that killed your machine could also be in your backup. try and backup your important data first, not your operating system and useless files - and store it in more than one place if possible (for example, an external hard drive AND on DVD)

Now to the programs:

Free Data recovery software
    Piriform Recuva - Highly recommended by TPU users, myself included.

The following were listed by 95viper in another thread, i dont know if he's reccomending them or just listed them.
    Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier A nice one.*Smile if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS? :)
    UNDELETE 360
    Free File Recovery 1.1
    Glary Undelete
    UndeletePlus[/QUOTE]

Paid Data recovery software

Free backup/restore software

Paid backup/restore software
    Acronis True Image Home
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 2011 (Paid)[/QUOTE]

please people, help me fill in the blanks so i can request this to get stickied. *Smile if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS? :)

Mussels, May 18, 2020
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Upgrade

By definition, an upgrade means that your personal files will not be deleted. But be sure to do an *upgrade*, not a clean installation, which will delete your personal files.

Also note that whenever you take a big step, even an operating system upgrade, things *can* go wrong, For that reason, it's always wise to be sure you have a recent backup on external media of your personal files.

One other point: your question suggests that you do not do regular backups of your important data to external media. If that's the case, you've been playing with fire. As has often been said, it's not a question of *whether* you will lose all your data,
    but *when*

Ken Blake, May 18, 2020
  4. if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS?

Data Backup

Why 4TB of storage when there is only 2TB of data, and it's not that important data, so grandfathering and the likes won't serve much purpose.

I wasn't commenting on Ghost, I use it myself at work as well. Doesn't make it suitable in all cases though. (in his it would work)
    I don't see the point in a diskimage of a huge data disk though. It just makes it harder to access, and corruption on the disk could do far more damage. Copying the files over and keeping them in sync would probably be the easiest solution.

DanTheBanjoman, May 18, 2020
Thema:

if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS?

1. if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS? - Similar Threads - don't backup important

2. When I reset my windows laptop, will I lose any data in one drive or my personal vault?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I reset my windows laptop, will I lose any data in one drive or my personal vault?: I have a dell Inspiron https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-reset-my-windows-laptop-will-i-lose-any/3be79b2f-8bd4-4fa7-9849-c505c8127636
  3. When I reset my windows laptop, will I lose any data in one drive or my personal vault?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I reset my windows laptop, will I lose any data in one drive or my personal vault?: I have a dell Inspiron https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-reset-my-windows-laptop-will-i-lose-any/3be79b2f-8bd4-4fa7-9849-c505c8127636
  4. Can I upgrade my C drive without formatting or losing any data?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I upgrade my C drive without formatting or losing any data?: I have a 1TB SSD installed as a C drive, is there any way I can upgrade that to a 2TB SSD without formatting or losing any data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-my-c-drive-without-formatting-or/cae2b53a-4bab-433c-8790-3e186caf6fdd
  5. Can I upgrade my C drive without formatting or losing any data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I upgrade my C drive without formatting or losing any data?: I have a 1TB SSD installed as a C drive, is there any way I can upgrade that to a 2TB SSD without formatting or losing any data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-my-c-drive-without-formatting-or/cae2b53a-4bab-433c-8790-3e186caf6fdd
  6. Can I upgrade my C drive without formatting or losing any data?

7. Do I lose anything when upgrading

Do I lose anything when upgrading: Hello, I am upgrading to Windows 11 and I'm wondering if I lose any data from upgrading. I have a lot of Minecraft and other game data that I don't wanna lose. Will I lose anything once the upgrade is complete? As that matter even create a Windows.old? I have an image to show...
  8. Do I lose anything when upgrading

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I lose anything when upgrading: Hello, I am upgrading to Windows 11 and I'm wondering if I lose any data from upgrading. I have a lot of Minecraft and other game data that I don't wanna lose. Will I lose anything once the upgrade is complete? As that matter even create a Windows.old? I have an image to show...
  9. I need to fix my bootloader/OS without losing my data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need to fix my bootloader/OS without losing my data: I experienced a problem with my Ubuntu live USB that seems to have corrupted or otherwise adversely affected my laptops bootloader and I can no longer boot into windows on the internal drive. Most of my data should be fine if I can recover it (it’s been a few weeks since my...
  10. Will I lose my data, settings, and programs if I upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will I lose my data, settings, and programs if I upgrade to Windows 10: I am planning on reserving Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 computer and I wanted to know if I will lose everything. 8250