Windows 10: if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS?

Discus and support if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I was wondering if I upgrade my Operating System OS and I don't back up my data or any important files I many have will I possibly lose them after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NotTheRealBillGates, May 18, 2020.

1. if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS?

Hi, I was wondering if I upgrade my Operating System OS and I don't back up my data or any important files I many have will I possibly lose them after I upgrade my OS.

Thanks

sincerely NotTheRealBillGates

:)

NotTheRealBillGates, May 18, 2020
  2. Mussels Win User

Data backup and recovery help thread

We get heaps of threads on this, so lets make a nice organised list of programs people can use for backing up, restoring, and recovering data.

For a quick start to this, some pointers.

1. If you formatted a drive and did NOT write to it, recovery is possible. If you installed any data over it (such as windows, or copying files to it) then you need to restore a backup, or accept that you will have lost some, most, or all of your data.

2. Backups are not perfect - for example, a virus that killed your machine could also be in your backup. try and backup your important data first, not your operating system and useless files - and store it in more than one place if possible (for example, an external hard drive AND on DVD)

Now to the programs:

Free Data recovery software
    Piriform Recuva - Highly recommended by TPU users, myself included.

The following were listed by 95viper in another thread, i dont know if he's reccomending them or just listed them.
    Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier A nice one.*Smile if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS? :)
    UNDELETE 360
    Free File Recovery 1.1
    Glary Undelete
    UndeletePlus[/QUOTE]

Paid Data recovery software

Free backup/restore software

Paid backup/restore software
    Acronis True Image Home
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 2011 (Paid)[/QUOTE]

please people, help me fill in the blanks so i can request this to get stickied. *Smile if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS? :)

Mussels, May 18, 2020
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Upgrade

By definition, an upgrade means that your personal files will not be deleted. But be sure to do an *upgrade*, not a clean installation, which will delete your personal files.

Also note that whenever you take a big step, even an operating system upgrade, things *can* go wrong, For that reason, it's always wise to be sure you have a recent backup on external media of your personal files.

One other point: your question suggests that you do not do regular backups of your important data to external media. If that's the case, you've been playing with fire. As has often been said, it's not a question of *whether* you will lose all your data,
    but *when*

Ken Blake, May 18, 2020
  4. if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS?

Data Backup

Why 4TB of storage when there is only 2TB of data, and it's not that important data, so grandfathering and the likes won't serve much purpose.

I wasn't commenting on Ghost, I use it myself at work as well. Doesn't make it suitable in all cases though. (in his it would work)
    I don't see the point in a diskimage of a huge data disk though. It just makes it harder to access, and corruption on the disk could do far more damage. Copying the files over and keeping them in sync would probably be the easiest solution.

DanTheBanjoman, May 18, 2020
Thema:

if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS?

1. if i don't backup any important data or files will i lose them when i upgrade my OS? - Similar Threads - don't backup important

2. Will my data get deleted when I upgrade my windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will my data get deleted when I upgrade my windows?: I'm just upgrading from win8 to windows 10 via the installer will this savethe data on my pc or will it format my pc submitted by /u/NOT_Dx [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/goisyo/will_my_data_get_deleted_when_i_upgrade_my_windows/
  3. I need to fix my bootloader/OS without losing my data

I need to fix my bootloader/OS without losing my data: I experienced a problem with my Ubuntu live USB that seems to have corrupted or otherwise adversely affected my laptops bootloader and I can no longer boot into windows on the internal drive. Most of my data should be fine if I can recover it (it’s been a few weeks since my...
  4. Will I lose a Quicken backup file on my laptop if I choose "Reset this PC"?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will I lose a Quicken backup file on my laptop if I choose "Reset this PC"?: I am stuck in the infinite "Preparing Automatic Repair". I have tried many solutions to no avail. I have decided that I will need to Reset this PC or send in to Lenovo as still under warranty, but I don't have time for that. I am fine with reinstalling any software...
  5. Why when I restart my computer I lose all my files ?

Why when I restart my computer I lose all my files ?: when I push the button to restart my computer ,for an upgrade on one of my apps that needs to restart to install, i will lose all my contents of my folders like pictures , documents, downloads . I need help to fix this problem....
  6. How do I reinstall Windows without losing any data.

How do I reinstall Windows without losing any data.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/bustedcondomdisaster [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dtvu6g/how_do_i_reinstall_windows_without_losing_any_data/
  7. Are there any pointer splash animations.. cos I don't want them.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Are there any pointer splash animations.. cos I don't want them.: With Windows 7 there where splash animations when in photoshop and other places... they took much internet research to get rid of and I was thankful I had bought the Premium version as it was easier to get rid of them. Hope this link posts... it takes you to the main 'cure'...
  8. Backup stopped working when I upgraded

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup stopped working when I upgraded: I just upgraded from Windows 7 home premium to windows 10. When the automatic backup that I had scheduled under windows 7 ran, I got an error. When I try to run backup manually, I get an error saying that I don't have enough space. My C drive is a 745 GB drive with only 128...
  9. Do I lose my license if I revert back to a previous OS?

Do I lose my license if I revert back to a previous OS?: I want to upgrade from 7 to 10 so that I won't lose the chance of upgrading my laptop to a newer version of Windows for free, although I cannot practically make this change until an important piece of software I use daily for work will start supporting Windows 10, which might...
  10. Will I lose my data, settings, and programs if I upgrade to Windows 10

Will I lose my data, settings, and programs if I upgrade to Windows 10: I am planning on reserving Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 computer and I wanted to know if I will lose everything. 8250