Windows 10: if I download from usb stick will it be empty ?

Discus and support if I download from usb stick will it be empty ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm an ESL teacher. Some months ago I had someone download some books I had on a USB stick onto a computer I using at that time. Yesterday I tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jacksmith, Nov 25, 2015.

1. jacksmith Win User

if I download from usb stick will it be empty ?

I'm an ESL teacher. Some months ago I had someone download some books I had on a USB stick onto a computer I using at that time. Yesterday I tried to download the books onto another computer and was told that there is nothing on it. It is empty ! We tried it on 2 other computers as well. Nothing !
    I don't understand why.
    Help !

:)

jacksmith, Nov 25, 2015

2. How can I remove windows 10 without a previous operative system?

If you can't boot from the USB stick, it's not Windows 10's fault because booting up doesn't use Windows at all. In fact you should be able to format your entire C: drive and erase it like it was brand new (empty) if you want, but if you can't boot up from
    the USB stick it means one of these:

• The USB stick wasn't created using the official
      Microsoft USB Tool

or
    • The BIOS options are set to not allow booting from a USB drive

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Nov 25, 2015
  3. PADDYCL Win User
    My problem is that I logged onto my account as administrator and performed various tasks, I then went to sign out so that I could go into another account to do some work.

Hi having downloaded the ISO file I selected to send it to my
    empty 8GB USB stick only to be told that the file was to big, the same thing when I put an
    empty 16GB USB stick in. At which point I restrained from throwing my desk top and lap top out of the window and instead picked up the phone and called in an engineer. The problem is now solved
    within one hour as opposed to four days unsucessfuly via this site.

PADDYCL, Nov 25, 2015
  4. batlhilz Win User

be more specific:
    - what website/company you used to download those books?
    - what book reader you are using?
    - did you copy or cut the files earlier from the USB?

batlhilz, Nov 25, 2015
  5. jacksmith Win User
    Sorry, I don't know about this stuff. A couple of years ago someone downloaded these ESL teaching books for me from his USB to mine.
    Then someone else downloaded them onto a class computer I was using in class last year.
    Now I'm in a different place and I just wanted to give them to somebody else to print out. And he told me there's nothing on it and gave it back. I just tried on another computer and this guy says there is nothing on it , so I don't get it.

jacksmith, Nov 25, 2015
  6. edobson Win User
    Who ever copied those books from the USB to the computer didn't actually do a copy, they more likely just moved the files from the USB to the computer, which obviously removed the files from the USB.

The only way you'll be able to get them back is to download those books again and copy them to the USB.

edobson, Nov 25, 2015
  7. jacksmith Win User
    o.k. That's what I was afraid of. So , how can that be avoided in the future ? If I can go back and find the computer they are in, and put them back on my USB, how can I keep that from happening again? Can I let somebody else copy them without leaving it empty again ?

Thanks.

jacksmith, Nov 25, 2015
  8. edobson Win User

I'd suggest reading up on how to copy files from one place to another, I found a page here that explains it:
    How to copy files

edobson, Nov 25, 2015
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Either that or the files/folders are marked HIDDEN (I have seen some malware do this). Go to control panel -> Folder options (or File Explorer options under Win10) and, under the VIEW tab, select "Show files, folder and hidden drives".

eLPuSHeR, Nov 25, 2015
  10. jacksmith Win User
    O.K. Thanks

jacksmith, Nov 25, 2015
  11. jacksmith Win User
    O.K. Thanks, I'll check that out.

jacksmith, Nov 25, 2015
  12. Mc Ruff Win User
    In case it does ever happen again. Back your files up so that you can just copy them back onto a USB stick. They are obviously important and all important files should have a backup.

Edit: You can also buy really cheap USB sticks these days. So have a couple you can lend out. If one gets lost, files deleted or infected with a virus it is not a big deal.

Mc Ruff, Nov 25, 2015
  13. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. if I download from usb stick will it be empty ? - Similar Threads - download usb stick

2. How can I download a game from the Microsoft Store on my USB-Stick?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I download a game from the Microsoft Store on my USB-Stick?: My USB stick has 32gb and Im just asking if i could download a game from Microsoft Store on my USB so I can play games on any PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-download-a-game-from-the-microsoft-store/83ae3bea-2716-4bc8-94c2-29ac85d0b710
  3. How can I download a game from the Microsoft Store on my USB-Stick?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I download a game from the Microsoft Store on my USB-Stick?: My USB stick has 32gb and Im just asking if i could download a game from Microsoft Store on my USB so I can play games on any PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-download-a-game-from-the-microsoft-store/83ae3bea-2716-4bc8-94c2-29ac85d0b710
  4. Error booting from a USB stick?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error booting from a USB stick?: I have an 8gb botbar USB stick with Windows 10, when I plug it into my PC and want to boot from it, the message like in this picture appears. What can I do? I can't find the right solution. Thanks in advance! Picture source:...
  5. Rescue data from USB stick?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Rescue data from USB stick?: My USB stick is no longer recognized by my PC and all others and should be formatted. When I go to the disk management, the stick is displayed, but in RAW format and only with 8MB storage space although it has 2GB. Some data recovery programs like EaseUS or Recuva can't find...
  6. Pulled out usb-stick, python file now empty?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pulled out usb-stick, python file now empty?: Hello, my mother pulled out my usb stick from the pc without safely ejecting it, now my python file for my project is completly empty. Did anybody know how I can get this file back? Is there any method to look if the chached file is on the maindrive? Thank you guys!...
  7. Can't boot from USB stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot from USB stick: I have Windows 10 currently installed on my PC. I want to go back to Windows 7, and I have a USB stick with the Windows 7 setup files. When my computer is starting up, I press esc to open the bios menu, then select boot device, then I select the USB with the Windows 7 setup...
  8. Booting from USB stick or DVD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting from USB stick or DVD: Imagine a computer where W10 is running on an SSD. I have a USB stick and/or a DVD which contain a bootable version of W10 (probably made from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool). After a fault, the plan is that after tickling F12 (in my case) the above bootable version could be...
  9. Recover USB stick from Memtest86?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover USB stick from Memtest86?: This is stupid. I created a new bootable memtest86 onto a small 4GB USB stick. All OK. Now it says that it is just a 26MB drive! So I went to diskpart and did a CLEAN. Great, and it shows 4GB unallocated. NOTHING I try, even a Create Partition Primary will then let me...
  10. boot from USB stick?

in Windows 10 Support
    boot from USB stick?: Hi All, I just purchased a new windows 10, which came as a USB Flash stick and Im curious if I can use it as an emergency boot USB? in case computer wont boot normally? Thnx! 21792