Windows 10: If I fail to enter the correct PIN, desktop asks for password anyway. How is that more secure?

Discus and support If I fail to enter the correct PIN, desktop asks for password anyway. How is that more secure? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 on our desktop computer at home. We have PINs on our accounts. I understand why the PIN is more secure than just a password.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Diggy18, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Diggy18 Win User

If I fail to enter the correct PIN, desktop asks for password anyway. How is that more secure?

I'm using Windows 10 on our desktop computer at home. We have PINs on our accounts. I understand why the PIN is more secure than just a password. However, what confuses me, is that on our desktop, Windows will let you bypass the PIN if you fail to enter X number of times. Windows will then give up and say, "ok ok, what's the password?"

How is that any more secure than using just the password in the first place?

Or is the PIN really mostly intended for logging onto other microsoft, web-based services?

:)

Diggy18, Sep 11, 2019

2. Windows 10 Change password to pin

Hi Ana,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Please share the details.

• Are you able to log in to your desktop?

• Do you see any error code along with the error message?
    I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to set up a PIN on your Windows User Account:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click
      Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Add button.

• Type in the password for your User Account, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.

From now on you’ll be able to log in to your Windows account by entering your 4 digit PIN instead of your password.

You can change your PIN at any time by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Change button.

• Enter your Windows password, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a new 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Click the Finish button.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.
    Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Sep 11, 2019
  3. Windows Asks for PIN but Wants Password

I use Windows 10. I have set up both a PIN and a Windows password. I rarely need either since I normally sign onto my computer using the fingerprint reader. However, once in a while the fingerprint reader doesn't work, and Windows asks for my PIN. Lately,
    I have entered my PIN (which I know is correct) but Windows says it's wrong. It does accept my password. Why is Windows asking for a PIN if it wants a password? How do I correct this?

Marianne_968, Sep 11, 2019
  4. If I fail to enter the correct PIN, desktop asks for password anyway. How is that more secure?

Sign in security-pin and password

Hi,

Sorry to hear that your issue is not resolved yet.

Kindly let me know that have you performed following steps to establish a PIN on Windows 10?

First of all

To add PIN security, click on the Start menu button and select “Settings.”

Then

click on “Accounts,” and find “Sign-in options.”

Click on “Add” under the “PIN” heading to add a PIN and click “OK” .

Once the PIN security is added by you, you will be asked to enter a PIN code at the startup instead of a password.

An image is attached for your assistance.

Please let me know, if that helps.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

If I fail to enter the correct PIN, desktop asks for password anyway.  How is that more secure? 1cfdcbda-f6b0-4d6b-9ffc-da3753e1ca4e?upload=true.jpg

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

If I fail to enter the correct PIN, desktop asks for password anyway. How is that more secure?

1. If I fail to enter the correct PIN, desktop asks for password anyway. How is that more secure? - Similar Threads - fail enter correct

2. What is the password it is asking for? I have typed correct password.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the password it is asking for? I have typed correct password.: What is the password it is asking for? I have typed correct Microsoft account password. Is this password different? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-password-it-is-asking-for-i-have-typed/26c1c132-a6ec-4301-b658-232ea7eb6098
  3. What is the password it is asking for? I have typed correct password.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the password it is asking for? I have typed correct password.: What is the password it is asking for? I have typed correct Microsoft account password. Is this password different? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-password-it-is-asking-for-i-have-typed/26c1c132-a6ec-4301-b658-232ea7eb6098
  4. Windows asked me to enter a password and create a pin.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows asked me to enter a password and create a pin.: Hello. I'm using a laptop that has Windows hello turned off and is automatically logged in. I did it with netplwiz. But today, while turning on the laptop, it asked me to enter a password, and when I entered the microsoft password, it asked me to create a pin code. I did...
  5. Windows asked me to enter a password and create a pin.

Windows asked me to enter a password and create a pin.: Hello. I'm using a laptop that has Windows hello turned off and is automatically logged in. I did it with netplwiz. But today, while turning on the laptop, it asked me to enter a password, and when I entered the microsoft password, it asked me to create a pin code. I did...
  6. It is asking me to enter password,when i went to bios i entered password but I want to...

It is asking me to enter password,when i went to bios i entered password but I want to...: It is when opening my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-is-asking-me-to-enter-passwordwhen-i-went-to/bdbd8c1b-d0ff-4366-bee8-c153d8113e94
  7. It is asking me to enter password,when i went to bios i entered password but I want to...

in Windows 10 Customization
    It is asking me to enter password,when i went to bios i entered password but I want to...: It is when opening my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-is-asking-me-to-enter-passwordwhen-i-went-to/bdbd8c1b-d0ff-4366-bee8-c153d8113e94
  8. i entered the correct password and this shows up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i entered the correct password and this shows up: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BoOGIEmAn121 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kq75cw/i_entered_the_correct_password_and_this_shows_up/
  9. Windows only asking for pin on startup, cannot enter password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows only asking for pin on startup, cannot enter password: I did a Windows update and now the startup window is only asking me for a pin with no option to enter a password. I never set up a pin, so there is no way for me to login. Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions? submitted by /u/dj_b [link] [comments]...
  10. how to stop PC from asking to enter the password?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to stop PC from asking to enter the password?: My PC always requires me to sign in, and enter the password when I turn it on. It irritates me a lot because it is only me who has access to this machine....