Windows 10: If I Have WIFI Set on Manual, and Never Turn on WIFI, How Do Updates Force Their Way Onto...

Discus and support If I Have WIFI Set on Manual, and Never Turn on WIFI, How Do Updates Force Their Way Onto... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Dear God, I can't get near this super-costly system because I'm so darn scared of Windows 10. My unit is extremely attractive, but it's sitting on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Perfectly_Willing, Mar 4, 2021.

1. If I Have WIFI Set on Manual, and Never Turn on WIFI, How Do Updates Force Their Way Onto...

Dear God, I can't get near this super-costly system because I'm so darn scared of Windows 10. My unit is extremely attractive, but it's sitting on a shelf because of Windows 10' warning that it will consider my laptop "mi casa, su casa." So I turned off WIFI two months ago and have been using this glorious unit as a word-processor... until Updates! How the heck does this computer, allegedly not being monitored or spied on, get Updates if it is really not connected to WIFI? Do the Windows fairies bring it to my laptop? Is the choice of manual WIFI just another "don't tell us, Great Unwashed Windows user, we'll tell you?"

I'm so angry, I could throw this $800 beautiful unit in the trash. I do not apologize for my anger.

submitted by /u/Perfectly_Willing
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Perfectly_Willing, Mar 4, 2021

2. Assigning a default WiFi connection

Is there any specific way to force Windows to connect to a certain WiFi connection?

Since my PC keeps connecting to a commercial WiFi hotspot rather than to my home network when it boots.

Things I have tried:

• "Connect to suggested WiFi hotspots" has been turned off
    • Home network has been set to "connect automatically" when connecting
    • Hotspot networks have been "forgotten" in the WiFi settings
    Is there anything else I can try to fix this problem?

Sakura2628, Mar 4, 2021
  3. Varlokkur Win User
    Laptop connects to wifi-sense TWC Wifi network, despite my settings

I have Windows 10 Home, fully updated.

My next-door neighbor rents his cable modem from Time Warner, so there's an open network called TWC Wifi (and also a Cable Wifi). I have never manually connected to this network, and it doesn't show up in my list of "Known networks"--the only 2 networks listed there are my own network and my mother-in-law's. I've turned off Wifi-sense. Yet, virtually every single time I wake my laptop from sleep, I go to load a website and get the login for Time Warner and then notice that my computer is connected to TWC Wifi or Cable Wifi. Again, these are NOT known networks, wifi-sense is turned off... why does my computer still prefer these open networks over my own home network (the router is less than 10 feet away)?

I'm at my wit's end. Is this a bug? Is there any way to set my computer to avoid these SSIDs?

Varlokkur, Mar 4, 2021
  4. Jon Cage Win User

If I Have WIFI Set on Manual, and Never Turn on WIFI, How Do Updates Force Their Way Onto...

Is it possible to set up a new manual wifi connection from the command line?

I'm trying to work out a solution to set up ad-hock wifi connections in Windows 8.1 based on the suggestions in a post on Micsrosoft's answers site. Is there any way to do the first few steps:

• go to "Network and Sharing Center"
    • click "Set up a new connection or network"
    • double click "Manually connect to a wireless network"
    • enter the SSID of the ad-hoc network (as shown by "netsh wlan show networks") into the "Network name" field
    • configure security settings accordingly
    • uncheck "Start this connection automatically" (important)

...without using the windows dialogs?

Jon Cage, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

If I Have WIFI Set on Manual, and Never Turn on WIFI, How Do Updates Force Their Way Onto...

1. If I Have WIFI Set on Manual, and Never Turn on WIFI, How Do Updates Force Their Way Onto... - Similar Threads - WIFI Set Manual

2. how do I turn on wifi capability?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I turn on wifi capability?: I removed a working wifi card and replaced it with ,what I believed,to be a better card. I could not turn wifi capability on with the latter card. I put back in the previous card and now I cannot get wifi on it either. I took it to computer shop and was told there maybe a bad...
  3. how do I turn on wifi capability?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I turn on wifi capability?: I removed a working wifi card and replaced it with ,what I believed,to be a better card. I could not turn wifi capability on with the latter card. I put back in the previous card and now I cannot get wifi on it either. I took it to computer shop and was told there maybe a bad...
  4. how do I turn on wifi capability?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows issue no way to turn wifi on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows issue no way to turn wifi on: I never had an issue with my laptop before . I disconnected my wifi earlier and now I cannot go back because there is no option to turn on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-issue-no-way-to-turn-wifi-on/0d409318-3354-4b09-ae74-db370ed3794c
  6. Windows issue no way to turn wifi on

Windows issue no way to turn wifi on: I never had an issue with my laptop before . I disconnected my wifi earlier and now I cannot go back because there is no option to turn on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-issue-no-way-to-turn-wifi-on/0d409318-3354-4b09-ae74-db370ed3794c
  7. Windows issue no way to turn wifi on

8. WiFi keeps turning off even if you turn it on manually

WiFi keeps turning off even if you turn it on manually: When I turn on my comper, it shows WiFi Turned off. Turn WiFi back on, in 1 hour, 4 hour, ……… I then check Network & Internet, WiFi, it shows WiFi off. I then click it to the On possition. Below it, it is Turn WiFi back on in 1 hour, 4hour………… I then click Status, then click...
  9. WIFI Cannot Be Turned on Manually

WIFI Cannot Be Turned on Manually: My parents' computer windows 10, dell earlier yesterday would not allow connection to our wifi services despite showing our network as an option for connection and having connected before without issue. I reset the network adapters, which did not work. I went to network...
  10. In my setting for 10 Pro I do not see a way to turn off wifi.

In my setting for 10 Pro I do not see a way to turn off wifi.: I do not see a way in settings to turn wifi off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-my-setting-for-10-pro-i-do-not-see-a-way-to/ab1e486c-9ac4-46aa-aa5e-f5f04c46628f