Windows 10: If I let Windows to choose Page file size it will choose 12 GB but before that it was...

Discus and support If I let Windows to choose Page file size it will choose 12 GB but before that it was... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/zblocker [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eozxwn/if_i_let_windows_to_choose_page_file_size_it_will/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/zblocker, Jan 15, 2020.

1. If I let Windows to choose Page file size it will choose 12 GB but before that it was...

/u/zblocker, Jan 15, 2020
  2. Polarman Win User

System Paging File Help

Two hard drives (If you really want to):

1. One static page file on the OS hard drive “C:”
    2. Another static page file on the first partition of the second drive.

Note: The sizes should be at least the size of the amount of memory you have. Example: if you have 2 GB of RAM then 2 page files of 2048 MB. This allows for plenty of space and Vista can choose the drive that is least busy when it needs to access the page file.

ALWAYS leave a pagefile on the C: drive.

Polarman, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Jetster Win User
    Page file size?

Deleting it is fine, but keep in mind if you delete your page file a memory dump has no where to go and will be deleted. Not a big deal but just FYI. Really there is nothing to gain by deleting a page file. Except for the physical space. Windows set your page file the same size as your ram for a reason. So suggesting you should delete it if you have 16+ Gb ram and wont need it is inaccurate. You can also recover Data on a BSOD if you have the dump file

"Microsoft says that, when the page file is set to a system-managed size and the computer is configured for automatic memory dumps, “Windows sets the size of the paging file large enough to ensure that a kernel memory dump can be captured most of the time.” As Microsoft points out, crash dumps are an important consideration when deciding what size the page file should be. The page file must be large enough to contain the memory data."

http://www.howtogeek.com/196672/windows-memory-dumps-what-exactly-are-they-for/

Jetster, Jan 15, 2020
  4. jt12345 Win User

If I let Windows to choose Page file size it will choose 12 GB but before that it was...

page/swap file size and location for 2-3 hard drives

Most recommend putting the page file on a seperate hard drive from Windows. So that one hard drive is reading and another hard drive is writting.

MS recommends page file sizes of a Min 1.5X to a Max 3X system RAM. But they also say to have a page file on your OS drive for errors. That Windows will choose the Page file on the drive that Windows is not on.

So my setups currently are:

With 2 hard drives...
    --Windows/games/programs on 1st hard drive
    --Page File on 2nd hard drive (2 times the size of system ram@2gb, so 2048X2=4096 page file size)

With 3 hard drives...
    --Windows on 1st hard drive
    --Games/programs on 2nd hard drive
    --Page file on 3rd hard drive (2 times the size of system ram@2gb, so 2048X2=4096mb page file size)

How are these configurations?

Does the maximum page/swap file size of 3X system ram apply to a single hard drive or all hard drives with swap files on the system total.

Ie. can i put from example above a swap file on my system drive 4096mb and another page file on other drives of 4096mb each for a total of 2 page files or 4096X2 that is greater than the 3x system ram??

thanks

jt12345, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

If I let Windows to choose Page file size it will choose 12 GB but before that it was...

1. If I let Windows to choose Page file size it will choose 12 GB but before that it was... - Similar Threads - let choose Page

2. I am stuck in the choose option page.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am stuck in the choose option page.: I did everything, I even reset my computer and this happened. something to put in mind was I was using a method to enter using UEFI Firmware setting-> boot menu-> windows boot manger however every time i restart the computer or something it will take me here again.Last thing...
  3. I am stuck in the choose option page.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am stuck in the choose option page.: I did everything, I even reset my computer and this happened. something to put in mind was I was using a method to enter using UEFI Firmware setting-> boot menu-> windows boot manger however every time i restart the computer or something it will take me here again.Last thing...
  4. Administrator not letting me choose Yes

Administrator not letting me choose Yes: I’m trying to download Genshin Impact and when the Administrator thing asks me “Allow app to make changes to device?” theres only a option to say No and a blank space where Yes should be, it also says I need to enter the administrator password but 1. There’s no where to type...
  5. Administrator not letting me choose Yes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator not letting me choose Yes: I’m trying to download Genshin Impact and when the Administrator thing asks me “Allow app to make changes to device?” theres only a option to say No and a blank space where Yes should be, it also says I need to enter the administrator password but 1. There’s no where to type...
  6. Wordpad can't choose letter size.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wordpad can't choose letter size.: I often use the built in Wordpad for taking notes + recipes so I have a lot of saved documents in rtf. Recently I bought a Dymo label printer and since hooking that up Wordpad keeps Automatically Selecting the paper size to a label size 30252 Address, which makes my regular...
  7. Wordpad can't choose letter size.

Wordpad can't choose letter size.: I often use the built in Wordpad for taking notes + recipes so I have a lot of saved documents in rtf. Recently I bought a Dymo label printer and since hooking that up Wordpad keeps Automatically Selecting the paper size to a label size 30252 Address, which makes my regular...
  8. choose my home page

in Windows 10 Customization
    choose my home page: how do I set my homepage on edge I have no desire to look at news https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/choose-my-home-page/63912433-a42e-4b3c-a909-30e47e7a1cd5
  9. Not letting me choose restart time

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Not letting me choose restart time: Then I just got a message saying Windows needs to reboot and I could pick a time. It showed me this window and it let me set a time, but I clicked the button to turn it off and now it won't let me reinitialize it. My point is I click on it and it doesn't update to selected....
  10. Not letting me choose retsart time

in Windows 10 Support
    Not letting me choose retsart time: Then I just got a message saying Windows needs to reboot and I could pick a time. It showed me this window and it let me set a time, but I clicked the button to turn it off and now it won't let me reinitialize it. My point is I click on it and it doesn't update to selected....