Windows 10: If I put a fresh version of Windows 10 on my PC, what update, from Microsoft do I stop at...

Discus and support If I put a fresh version of Windows 10 on my PC, what update, from Microsoft do I stop at... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I want to restore my PC, and update Windows 10 right to the point that Microsoft started sabotaging the OS, then shut down all updates from Microsoft,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KennethHenson, Sep 17, 2021.

1. If I put a fresh version of Windows 10 on my PC, what update, from Microsoft do I stop at...

I want to restore my PC, and update Windows 10 right to the point that Microsoft started sabotaging the OS, then shut down all updates from Microsoft, so that the OS works properly again. Does anyone have any idea where to stop updating at to stop Microsoft from forcing us to buy Windows 11? That is what they are doing obviously, after all. Kind of like selling you a car, and then sabotaging the computer in it with code designed to force you to buy a new one a few years later. Total rip off, but that is how Microsoft rolls after all.

:)

KennethHenson, Sep 17, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 17, 2021
  3. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

If I put a fresh version of Windows 10 on my PC, what update, from Microsoft do I stop at... [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Sep 17, 2021
  4. MrGenius Win User

If I put a fresh version of Windows 10 on my PC, what update, from Microsoft do I stop at...

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Sep 17, 2021
Thema:

If I put a fresh version of Windows 10 on my PC, what update, from Microsoft do I stop at...

1. If I put a fresh version of Windows 10 on my PC, what update, from Microsoft do I stop at... - Similar Threads - put fresh version

2. how do I find what version of Windows I have on my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I find what version of Windows I have on my PC: How do I find what version of Windows I have on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-what-version-of-windows-i-have-on-my/c610c047-06ef-4e71-8366-7471afca050a
  3. how do I find what version of Windows I have on my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I find what version of Windows I have on my PC: How do I find what version of Windows I have on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-what-version-of-windows-i-have-on-my/c610c047-06ef-4e71-8366-7471afca050a
  4. virtualbox is stopping me from updating my laptop what do i do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    virtualbox is stopping me from updating my laptop what do i do?: I went to update my laptop and a new window opens and basically say this is what you need to do before you update your laptop. So it does its checking thing and it shows an application and its "VirtualBox" and it said I needed to manually uninstall it, so I went to go look it...
  5. virtualbox is stopping me from updating my laptop what do i do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    virtualbox is stopping me from updating my laptop what do i do?: I went to update my laptop and a new window opens and basically say this is what you need to do before you update your laptop. So it does its checking thing and it shows an application and its "VirtualBox" and it said I needed to manually uninstall it, so I went to go look it...
  6. I put my Pc into safe mode and it stopped putting signal to my monitor.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I put my Pc into safe mode and it stopped putting signal to my monitor.: I tryed to get a virus off my pc it it didnt work so i put my pc into safe mode and it stopped putting a signal to my monitor my pc is not that old and when it happened i was trying to free space becuse it was a space virus....
  7. If Microsoft stop support Windows 10, what I can do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If Microsoft stop support Windows 10, what I can do?: I can't change the OS and use Android phones https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-microsoft-stop-support-windows-10-what-i-can-do/b94922f9-1cb7-4ba7-a29e-11f3bfc96287
  8. How do I stop Windows 10 version 1903 from updating on my computer? Have tried this update...

How do I stop Windows 10 version 1903 from updating on my computer? Have tried this update...: How do I stop Windows 10 version 1903 from updating on my computer? Have tried this update 5 or 6 times. It fails to update and gives me very little choice on stopping the update when it pops up....
  9. Windows 10 failing to update from the 1703 version. What can I do?

Windows 10 failing to update from the 1703 version. What can I do?: Windows 10 just doesn't seem to update from the 1703 version to a newer one. It started about a month ago; the update would start normally, but it'd eventually fail after reaching a certain percentage of completion. It'd then reboot back to the previous version. But then one...
  10. What version of Windows 10 do I need?

in Windows 10 Support
    What version of Windows 10 do I need?: So we all know Win 10 is right around the corner. Right now I have a legit copy of Win 8.1 installed on my desktop. It is the core version. But I have not seen much stuff talking about a Core edition of Win 10. So my question is what version of Win 10 will I be getting? I was...