Windows 10: If I replace HDD will I lose the licence?

Discus and support If I replace HDD will I lose the licence? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My laptop came with Windows 8. After some time I upgraded to 8.1 (and I know the activation key it was using) and then to Windows 10, which I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AzizaAkilova, Jun 8, 2019.

1. If I replace HDD will I lose the licence?

My laptop came with Windows 8. After some time I upgraded to 8.1 (and I know the activation key it was using) and then to Windows 10, which I am currently using. This week I will be replacing HDD with SSD and installing Windows 8.1. Will I be able to activate it with the key that I have?

:)

AzizaAkilova, Jun 8, 2019
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jun 8, 2019
  3. Installing a new HDD to replace a HDD of the same size that failed.

I have a Windows 10 OS installed on my C: drive. I had data stored on an HDD designated as D: drive. That second drive failed and was replaced by a new HDD. Both are the same size and type of drives, except different manufactures. The new HDD is not
    listed in File Explorer. It is listed in Computer Management under Device Manager as a Disk drive. Disk Management under Storage does not list the new HDD.

I have tested the new HDD with software downloaded from the manufacture and it has passed all tests. At least that software was able to access the new drive and perform low level tests to see if it is operational.

Looking at the events log for this HDD, I find an event warning that says "Device ... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Opening up the properties indicates drivers have been installed. Reading the volume information results in: "Volume
    information for this disk cannot be found"

I suspect that the problem with the volume information is associated with the warning in the event log. I removed the HDD, restarted the PC then shut it down to start the installation process over again. No change in the event log or status of the new
    HDD. Can anyone suggest how I can get past that warning?

RonTognazzini, Jun 8, 2019
  4. Johankaan Win User

If I replace HDD will I lose the licence?

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

If I replace HDD will I lose the licence?

1. If I replace HDD will I lose the licence? - Similar Threads - replace HDD lose

2. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing HDD: I have a HP s5-1114 with Windows 10 Home that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 via the free upgrade. It is attached to my account. My HDD has died and I've ordered a new one. How do I get my SW key to reinstall the OS? I recall seeing it was digitally saved to my account, but...
  3. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD: I have a HP s5-1114 with Windows 10 Home that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 via the free upgrade. It is attached to my account. My HDD has died and I've ordered a new one. How do I get my SW key to reinstall the OS? I recall seeing it was digitally saved to my account, but...
  4. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD with SSD: I'm planning on replacing my original HDD with an SSD using a clean install. Can I ask Microsoft for a copy of the original disk image of my system? I have a Pavilion g4-2013tx that came originally with a Windows 7. TIA....
  6. Replacing HDD with an SSD

Replacing HDD with an SSD: I plan to replace my HDD with an SSD because I want my laptop to run faster and it failed a diagnostics test. I don't know why it failed but, I don't want to corrupt my new SSD. What happens if I don't clone the HDD to the SSD? Will I need to buy a windows 10 product key?...
  7. HDD replacement on laptop that came with Windows 10, will I lose the licenses?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    HDD replacement on laptop that came with Windows 10, will I lose the licenses?: My wife's laptop that she has had for maybe 5 years seems to be having a hard starting when powering on. We can hear some heavy grinds and clicks while it boots up. I have purchased an SSD that i can use for this unit. I have noticed that the laptop does have some Windows...
  8. Replacing HDD -Retaining licenced existing operating system.

Replacing HDD -Retaining licenced existing operating system.: Hi Community I have an aged acerExtensa 5220 which i upgrade as extra cash becomes available.Have updated my Ram and now have a new HDD 500gig which i would like to install replacing current75 gig one.Question is how do i transfer my existing licenced version of win 10...
  9. Replacing HDD with a SDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing HDD with a SDD: I have an Inspiron 5477 AIO and want to replace its HDD with as large a SDD I can afford. The problem is I don't know how to hook up the SDD to affect the migration. Is there an additional SATA connection available to which I can connect the SDD? Then manual makes no mention...
  10. Replacing HDD with a SDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing HDD with a SDD: I have an Inspiron 5477 AIO and want to replace its HDD with as large a SDD I can afford. The problem is I don't know how to hook up the SDD to affect the migration. Is there an additional SATA connection available to which I can connect the SDD? Then manual makes no mention...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. if i change form hdd to sdd will i need to buy windows